• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Did anyone grow a plant outside this year? Or 4?

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Holly shit Alex. Nice work. They look amazing.

Next year I’ll be putting a couple in the flower beds in the backyard and see how that goes. My problem is that I have vines that grow over the fence between my yard and my neighbor and I’m concerned the vines will choke out the plants.

Got a year to sort that out though.

Happy growing.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Got a year to sort that out though.
I planted these a meter apart and thought that would be enough. Next year I will go 2 meters apart. You really need the room if the weather is good like this year and you have robust varieties. I am a bit worried the congo won't even be ready by the end of September as apparently it is a slow maturing plant.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think next year I won't group them together, but will distribute them evenly in the sunniest area by just 4 digging big holes in the lawn, enriching the soil, covering that with fabric cloth and planting them in that. That way I'll be able to walk around each plant easily.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
That big storm yesterday took out most of my big Congo Plant :(

The three biggest branches broke off the main trunk, and I had to cut them off. This was most of the plant. I taped up the cut trunk with silicon plumbers tape so it doesn't rot. Crossing my fingers. The plant was just starting to flower too, which sucks. I guess I'll know in a week or so whether the bandage worked.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
That big storm yesterday took out most of my big Congo Plant :(

The three biggest branches broke off the main trunk, and I had to cut them off. This was most of the plant. I taped up the cut trunk with silicon plumbers tape so it doesn't rot. Crossing my fingers. The plant was just starting to flower too, which sucks. I guess I'll know in a week or so whether the bandage worked.

So sorry to hear this, Alex. Best of luck with the fix on that. Our weather patterns are a part of the reason why I never let my plants grow for height. I top them, get a bush going and then pull them over with tent string and pegs. If you top them, regularly remove the fans and train them sideways - once the main stem is thick and tough, you’ll have a much better chance of surviving these things. You may also triple your yield. This obviously only works for plants in the ground. ...but it works!

Keep us posted! ;)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
So sorry to hear this, Alex. Best of luck with the fix on that. Our weather patterns are a part of the reason why I never let my plants grow for height. I top them, get a bush going and then pull them over with tent string and pegs. If you top them, regularly remove the fans and train them sideways - once the main stem is thick and tough, you’ll have a much better chance of surviving these things. You may also triple your yield. This obviously only works for plants in the ground. ...but it works!

Keep us posted! ;)
I am still learning. I topped it a few times when it was smaller but I probably should have topped each branch again. I am quite surprised this variety can even grow here. Next year, hopefully, I will be more aggressive in the topping so it'll be wider, and also perhaps make a cylinder of wide metal grid fence to keep the sway down in the wind.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
We've got a few going this year, got some clones but started WAY too late... still hoping for the best, this year will be more about learning the ropes, next year we'll have our shit together and get things going much sooner.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
We've got a few going this year, got some clones but started WAY too late... still hoping for the best, this year will be more about learning the ropes, next year we'll have our shit together and get things going much sooner.
Take the fans off everything that’s sprouted from them beyond 1.5”. Wait a few days until the new ones get to 1.5”. Do it again, until it starts to flower. Feed it. Water it. It’ll be fine. ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Take the fans off everything that’s sprouted from them beyond 1.5”. Wait a few days until the new ones get to 1.5”. Do it again, until it starts to flower. Feed it. Water it. It’ll be fine. ;)
Awesome! Thanks for the advice, my buddy was saying same thing... once they dry out this week will do some trimming :)

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Update on the Northern Lights/Hindu...
This baby didn’t get topped. I just started off by picking the fans, when new shoots were over and inch and they’d outlived their usefulness. As mentioned previously, I’m employing LST (light stress training). It works wonders and can double, sometimes triple your yields. I tied it over and continue to adjust the ties, as it billows out and upward. ...and always take the mature fans that show no new growth, at least once a week. Be sure there’s no new grow, before you do so. You may not be able to see from these pics, but this lady has developed 6 hearty stalks for tops and one that’s gargantuan. I truly recommend LST for cannabis AND tomatoes. They LOVE IT. ...and it really does increase yield. Plus, it keeps the plant down from the top of the fence. If I let the strings go, that baby would be over 6’ and like a tree. The stalk is well over an inch thick. ...from the LST.

If you’re a commercial grower, these things are a pain in the ass to keep up with. If you’re just growing a couple, for giggles, this method also greatly reduces the chances that an unwanted neighbourhood fiend will come in the night and cut your flowers. Unfortunately, I suspect we’ll be hearing a bunch of those stories this year.

First pic is with the now 6’ sunflower, to show height. Second one is hopefully more detailed. She’s a lovely girl.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Awesome! Thanks for the advice, my buddy was saying same thing... once they dry out this week will do some trimming :)
Tie it over. LST, if it’s still in veg! Be gentle but pull it sideways from the main branch/branches. I have 4 stems tied over right now (tent string, hemp string, etc. Grounded with tent pegs.) It will continue to grow out AND up. ;)

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
...and if your plants are starting to flower already, be sure to give them a regular shake - from now until harvest - to remove any excess moisture from rain or watering. Also adds to the LST!

+ NOBODY likes moldy bud.