• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Did anyone grow a plant outside this year? Or 4?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I grew one from a seedling someone gave me, CBDurban variety from Canuk Seeds. Never grown a cannabis plant to flower before but I had a really good experience with it and no issues except for Gary, a neighborhood groundhog (put up a short chicken wire barrier).

I harvested today and got two full big blue tubs of bud. What a plant! I guess after drying and curing it'll turn into maybe 1/2 lb or so. Maybe more.

Anyone else grow anything outdoors this year?

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
I tried, but I did not have enough sun exposure. Also, I don't trust my neighbours. Also, communal garden.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I’ve decided to start growing clones. Tossing the rig together right now. They take very little power or space and there’s a massive demand for quality. Most of the shit that’s available is multiple generations down the line. People are just milking it.

I’m doing boutique. I’d be an idiot not to.

People need something to shred in their $1000 grinders!!!! :)

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Very little power? You're not relying on the Amazon LEDs are you?!

What are you saying about genetics? For sure, there's something to be said about pre-90's genetics, or true landraces if they even exist anymore, but one of the most exciting aspects about cannabis growing is the cross breeding, line breeding, interbreeding, inbreeding etc that provides such an abundant range in flavours and affects.

I've been growing for a couple decades, if you are anyone here ever has any specific questions, especially in regards to using coco as a medium, I'm happy to help, here or pm. Huge advocate of coco coir, multi fed - drip to waste. Very simple to automate, with very fast aggressive growth.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Mondieu

TRIBE Member

What are you saying about genetics? For sure, there's something to be said about pre-90's genetics, or true landraces if they even exist anymore, but one of the most exciting aspects about cannabis growing is the cross breeding, line breeding, interbreeding, inbreeding etc that provides such an abundant range in flavours and affects.

I've been growing for a couple decades, if you are anyone here ever has any specific questions, especially in regards to using coco as a medium, I'm happy to help, here or pm. Huge advocate of coco coir, multi fed - drip to waste. Very simple to automate, with very fast aggressive growth.

I grow one mother in a huge pot. Good quality soil and sheep-shit for her. I should have said. She takes a considerable amount of power. I’ll probably stick with either a 1000W or 400W HPS, as that’s what I have in storage. Sorry, I should have said! They do draw the power!

The clones are all just under fluorescents. Had great luck with this rig in the past, growing my own. Now that it’s “legal”, a few trays of quality clones are worth more to me than the weed itself.

Genetics are a only an issue when the mother comes from a previously cloned girl. I’ve never had a problem but I like first generation, as a rule, just to avoid one. ;)

Mondieu

TRIBE Member

BTW... Nice purple stick!

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I am shopping for seeds now for this years 4 plants.
Good stuff! I’m in that zone as well. Way too much to peruse. Options are almost limitless in feminized and auto-flower strains now. I probably won’t bother with the auto-flower, as I just need a good 80% Sativa : 20% Indica hybrid for a mother. Just my speed. The rest can go in the ground. Thankfully, user reviews have become fairly reliable with regard to growing. That’s one of the great things I’ve experienced since “legalization”. Some sites even provide generational info.

Do yourself a favour and read a bunch of reviews before you choose. Quality seed = quality weed. :)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Canuk Seeds is having a 40% sale today. They were responsible for the seed that grew my amazing CBDurban plant last year.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I've been growing for a couple decades, if you are anyone here ever has any specific questions, especially in regards to using coco as a medium, I'm happy to help, here or pm.

Thanks for this catilyst

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have already sprouted some seeds. Congo (ACE), and Green Crack, GG #4, Amnesia Lemon (CANUK) and they are growing in a little Aerogarden until I transplant them into solo cups. 2 are autos and the other 2 are photoperiod. Hopefully none are male. Pretty excited about my second year growing the plant.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I generally don't mess around with auto's but I think they're great to start early for outdoor use (early harvest, so less chance of mold or other fall weather related stresses, thieves aren't out mid summer etc), just as you're doing, but this is a touch early since they have a relatively short life cycle.

Good excuse to buy yourself some lights!

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Was gifted some seeds yesterday so I'm starting the paper towel germination process and we'll see how it goes. Not sure if male or female or if any of these will even germinate, but at least it gives me something to do.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
2 of my 4 plants are in flower already! The main two are destined for the backyard, are looking very nice and strong. It just needs to warm up outside.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I generally don't mess around with auto's but I think they're great to start early for outdoor use (early harvest, so less chance of mold or other fall weather related stresses, thieves aren't out mid summer etc), just as you're doing, but this is a touch early since they have a relatively short life cycle.

Good excuse to buy yourself some lights!
The winter seemed to go on forever so I bought a light and it has made a massive difference. I got a fairly big light, a Mars Hydro model TSW-2000 because I thought it would also be great for starting my tomato seedlings at the same time and I have the space in the basement. What a fabulous light! The build quality is great and the reflector is a very thick aluminum that reflects light while acting as a heatsink for the power supplies (2). Smart design. It came with hooks, a good grounded timer, and a cable pully system to raise and lower the light. Plug and play.

Immediately the plants started growing better. I had been temporarily using some of my older LED photo studio lighting to light the seedlings when they were small, and those lights were tuned to full daylight spectrum, like 5500K. I don't know what temperature this Mars Hydro light is but the plants sure like it better. It's only slightly different to 5500K to the naked eye but the plants are eating it up.

Each one of these cannabis plants is different. I have a Congo that has thick purple striped stems and looks strong as fuck as it grows past 2 feet tall. What I thought was an amnesia lemon turned out to be an auto cheese (planted by mistake). It is only 8 inches tall and absolutely covered in trichomnes - it looks like a tiny Christmas tree or a bonsai. Fascinating. It has been in flower for over 2 weeks and it doesn't appear to be growing taller or wider. I'll see if I can post a snapshot.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good Alex.
I am so new at this.

Over the course of my life I've tried to grow cannabis seeds before, but they never got past sprout stage.
Last year somebody gave me a sturdy seedling and I just put that in the ground and it grew well next to my tomatoes.
So this year, growing 4 plants from seeds is something entirely new, seeing every stage of growth. Also, I will be harvesting leaves, stems, buds, and roots for casting into gold and silver jewelry products, so its extra interesting for me to do. I enjoy going down in the basement and hanging in the garden several times a day, just being with the plants, at least until it warms up more outside. The tomatoes have to go in the ground soon though because they are pot bound.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Plants going in the ground tomorrow. My elderly neighbor cleared out the area where Gary, the groundhog, had is crib. I think Gary might be gone now because I've not seen him in weeks.