1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Did anybody watch that Joss Whedon show Dollhouse?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Mar 5, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I caught an episode in South Africa, but I understand it has been cancelled... Is it that bad, or is it just the luck of Joss Whedon?

2. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I think the show sucked personally.

Unlike Firefly, I think it was cancelled a season too late.

Just seemed like a failed "male fantasy" kinda show.

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

the episode i saw seemed almost Canadian in its production and acting

4. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

they let the last seaosn go ahead so they could wrap up all the lose ends, a co-worker loves the show but I thought it was meh

5. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

The series finale was decent. (actually, the episodes leading up to that were also decent). Watching Amy Acker turn evil and shoot that Asian chick we all loved from Firefly was a jolt, then the requisite ninja kick-battle between her and Elisa Duschku was also fun.

Everything previous to the final five episodes seemed rather meandering and directionless. I missed 60% of the episodes, as it was on a Friday night on Global and I kept forgetting about it.
    This coming from a hard-core Buffy and Angel fan.

6. Tried to watch it, lost interest after 3 episodes. Had promise that it never really delivered on.

7. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

fuck, firefly was a great show. if i could make a wish and kill hundreds of thousands of poor island people to bring it back i would.

8. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

Yeah, the last episodes were kinda neat, because here we finally discovered that lab-girl Amy Acker was in fact a Barbie Doll programmated to be a behind-the scenes-mastermind, to the extent of circumventing the authority of the British boss chick there , because, in fact, she (Amy) was aligned with the Black guy who was Eliza's watcher, yet who otherwise was actually the one who created the whole Barbie operation, as an evil plan to... well... not too sure....Oh wait! It's because he/they were in fact planning to develop a ray-gun that would turn anyone they want into Barbie-Doll material, with just the zap of a ray-gun.
    Anyways, Eliza ended up zapping Black guy with said ray-run, and instructed him to blow up the entire building, including himself.
    with a coda ending, indicating that while effective, this happy ending was a failure, and in fact many of the population had been turned into zombie-Barbies programmed to do, well... whatever they were programmed to do. And Eliza and that cop guy were out on the streets with guns blazing.
    The end.

This actually sounds a lot better on paper.

9. Noodles0

Noodles0 TRIBE Member

I would also kill many people to get that show back.

10. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Hell I'll join the rampage if it brings the whole crew back.

I'll even count the movie as canon.

;)

11. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

just powered through both seasons in a week or so. The 2nd half of each season is definitely stronger than the first couple episodes. To be honest tho, it didn't capture my attention till about the 5th or 6th episode in. Actually, from a storytelling perspective, it could have used another season o 2 as the ending felt really rushed.

but yea, give it a chance, the character development is pretty cool and the world it creates is pretty well-realized.

ps. It's "joss"

12. artemis

artemis TRIBE Member

I'll agree that dollhouse had much promise but it felt quite 'junior', and couldn't hold a candle to firefly...

13. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

wtf doesn't Joss Whedon just kickstart a show called "Illyria", with Amy Acker.
    Buffy/Angel fans would wet their pants over that, and they're hardcore.

14. artemis

artemis TRIBE Member

hey thanks for posting the news, i hadn't heard about the new show

15. that 420 guy

that 420 guy TRIBE Member

i enjoyed both seasons of dollhouse. it reminded me of alias with the main character(s) changing roles every episode. i found it fascinating to see what clients wanted in a doll beyond just physical companionship. the idea of taking one consciousness and placing it another body has always intrigued me...a new replicator for memes mayhaps? a way to live forever?

i'm a joss whedon fan, so his style of combat and humour always keeps me entertained while not taking the show or myself too seriously...and seeing familiar and cherished actors from previous whedon projects play new roles is refreshing.

i <3 topher, especially when he is imprinted on victor.

"you haven't seen my drawer of inappropriate starches?"

16. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

um, if you're referring to my post, well, no, Whedon did no such post-"Angel" show called "Illyria". Which he should have, since as the only character on the "Angel" series finale most likely to survive, he could've run wonders with that material there....
    errr.. lettsee, an immortal ancient diety thing who's, um, polymorphic enough to shape shift into actual human form (namely, Amy Acker). Sort of evil, yet fascinated and *lost* enough* to be ... (beyond good&evil)
    imo. winner

17. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

it goes without saying that I identified with that character

18. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

dodido... Illyria...
    should she try to Assimilate (and become *one of us*)
    should she try to Mediate (ok, me sells product, to you's over there)
    or should she just outright Conquer?

It would be a fucking great show

19. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

the thing about the show was that it basically wrapped up way too quickly. They could have told the exact same story but over the course of 3 or 4 seasons and it would have been paced much better.

One of the best things about the show was Enver Gjokaj. He was fantastic performing all those different rolls. Hopefully we'll be seeing more from him...

20. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Yeah I really enjoyed the show but the second season felt too rushed simply because they knew they had to wrap it all up.

Lobo