• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Did anybody actually go to the Jeff Mills party?

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Ninjetta

TRIBE Member
I went, as I wouldn't have missed Jeff Mills for anything. The event started early at 9 and I got there just about 11. The staff/security were some of the friendliest around and the venue itself was a nice little spot. When we got upstairs we entered into a lit area where the bar is. The bar bit was a little confusing at first as you had to buy tickets from one place before using them at the bar but not a big deal for me as I was being the DD for the night :p

This area opened up into the main room which had a large screen set up behind the decks. We got some drinks (well my friends did) and we settled into the groove before Mills came on at midnite. I ran into James there, as I knew he wouldn't miss Mills either, and so at least one other Triber was there who can review!

When Mills took the stage, which was off to one side to allow better view of the images, the screen up front ran footage of Reagan era conspiracy theory UFO stuff and he started warming up. SOMETHING IN THE SKY was the theme of the night and although it was speculated by some that this was going to be a night more for standing around listening and watching, when Mills settled into the pocket, he was playing some nice dancey/bangin beats that were definitely harder than I had gone there expecting, which was of course a pleasant surprise for me. The next two hours were filled with Millsy goodness interlaced with interesting footage and punctuated by moments where Mills laid off the decks a bit and let the soundtrack that was accompanying these visuals play through. The word everybody around me kept using to describe what we were witnessing was *special*. There were smiles on everybody's faces and I think we all collectively felt a part of something different.

It was also a night for running into old friends, as only the likes of Jeff Mills and a few others seem to be able to draw these ones out of retirement/hiding. Overall it was a well planned and executed event that I think true Mills fans enjoyed immensely. I for one also enjoyed the fact that it was an early start/early end type of event so I was in bed at a not-so-ungodly hour. I had a great time and it was definitely a perfect warmup for the event next on the docket....Speedy J on the 30th. Thanks again to the B & E guys for throwin this jam, it truly was a special night!

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Great review.

All I can say is I had an amazing time, and if you missed it...you missed it. Excellent music all night, great warmup set by Martin, Mills did not disappoint some of the best electronic music I've heard in years.

Such a fun night.

:)

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
It was a great event. Big Zang is great - furiously flipping their music sheets, staying on beat even through bizarrely intricate rhythms. fun stuff. Jeff Mills' set and concept was awesome. "Something in the sky" made me think of some detroit factory worker being abducted on his way home from work. Jamie Kidd's last track before Mills went on was dark and awesome.

WHAT WAS IT?!? anyone? Jamie? :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Ohh! I really like those Something in the Sky videos. Very eerie and interesting stuff Mill has posted recently to Youtube.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
It was a reunion of sorts for sure :) Every direction I turned in, I saw peeps i had not seen in ages.
I loved the polish grannies and grampies serving the booze.. I think one of the grampies tried to make a pass at me.. hehe it was cute! And how can you go wrong with $4 glasses of wine and $5 bottles of beer !

The show... I got there when Brad, or rather Martin.. I dunno anyway he played a tight set :) I was happy to hear him playing techno. He did us well :)

Jeff ! no one knew what to expect ! but it was Mills so we knew to expect quality.
I thought the visuals seriously lacked... boring ! I expected more from him ! woohoo ! pics of ufo's ! the visual side lacked creativity.
The music ! yes techno ! It was good to hear some serious techno instead of all this progressive shit i am hearing being played out all the time. *twitch*
I do think the sound was a bit off.. I dunno if it was the system or the place or both, but mid-range was lacking.

Overall, it was a zany night, I laughed, I cried, I danced and puked.. no just j/k but almost ;)

Fun night ! :)

Last edited:

the wiz

TRIBE Member
Mills delivered the goods, with taut and urgent build-ups which he is known for, and a wall of solid techno bass. That party had plenty of the Old Guard of Ravers out to support the Chief Droid ( Tell me that Mills doesnt look like a total Android when he is spinning !! He is the robotic overlord )----Those tall Polish beer bottles looked serious, and I heard many characters expressing their approval of them. ---------For me, the UFO theme highlighted a belief I have that there are spirits living among us on different dimensional wavelengths, and they can be contacted through meditation, vision-quests, psychedelics, breath-work, or simply a slight shift of focus. --------The universe is way too big for us to be totally alone.....but I have not met any Aliens. Either way........Jeff Mills provided a soundtrack for an alien abduction.-------that is what is playing on the ship just before you receive the anal probe ( because there is ALWAYS an anal probe ) :D

Thunder

TRIBE Member
wtf Sal yu wuz there? I never saw you once!

I saw some old friends and made a couple of new ones. I didn't like Mills set but i'm by no means a techno fan so my opinion means almost nothing!

loved the polish beer and the venue.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
wtf Sal yu wuz there? I never saw you once!

I saw some old friends and made a couple of new ones. I didn't like Mills set but i'm by no means a techno fan so my opinion means almost nothing!

loved the polish beer and the venue.

Yeeeah Zwyiec all the way!! (until we drank every last one in the place, seriously).

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I had my Emirates flight attendant friend Ivana in for the weekend and neither of us was really in the mood for techno on Saturday night, but now I am kind of sorry we missed it.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
.....but I have not met any Aliens.

Perhaps strangely I was able to hear part of the post-event interview held with afrika bambaataa and he also mentioned that he believes that aliens exist and were actually part of his world view. Unfortunately I only caught snippets so I can't comment further than that. I just find it... interesting that there's this common alien thread.

erk

TRIBE Member
The Polish Hall was a fun location. It worked well for this night and everyone working the hall were super nice and friendly.
Got there just about the time Mills got on. Sad to miss Jamie Kidd.
If anyone was expecting a Mills three turntable banger, they'd be disappointed. I was expecting something different, and that's what it was.
Jeff Mills provided a soundtrack for UFO visuals (that he controlled). Something in the sky indeed. There were some clips with audio commentary ripped from the news (Dan Akroyd, Barack Obama, etc.), but mostly grainy UFO shots. Mills provided an interesting soundtrack to the visuals. For anyone following his style as of late, this comes as no surprise. Very well done. He did build things up and it got quite dancey. I wasn't expecting that, but was pleasantly surprised.
As a concept it was pretty neat. If there could be some criticism I'd say the grainy UFO pictures were a tad lacking. But I suppose that's what we've got in terms of "real" evidence of alien life (?) outside of sci-fi movies and Dr. Who.
It was great to see a lot of old heads out.