• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dick Cheney is a Straight up G Who Will Bust a Cap in Any Triflin' Fools....

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Cheney accidentally shoots fellow hunter
Texas lawyer struck in face, chest with birdshot

From Dana Bash
CNN

Monday, February 13, 2006; Posted: 9:53 a.m. EST (14:53 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a campaign contributor during a weekend quail hunt on a friend's South Texas ranch, local authorities and the vice president's office said Sunday.

The wounded man, 78-year-old Harry Whittington, was in intensive care at a Corpus Christi hospital after being hit by several pellets of birdshot Saturday afternoon, hospital spokesman Peter Banko told CNN.

"He's doing well and in stable condition today," Banko said.

Whittington, an Austin attorney who gave $1,000 to President Bush's 2000 campaign and $2,000 to his 2004 re-election bid, was among a handful of people accompanying the vice president when the accident occurred Saturday afternoon.

The shooting occurred about 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Kenedy County Sheriff Ray Salinas said. He said his deputies are investigating the shooting but consider it an accident.

Cheney, an avid hunter, was shooting at a covey of quail on the Armstrong Ranch near Kingsville, about 30 miles southwest of Corpus Christi. The ranch's owner, Katharine Armstrong, said Whittington was about 30 yards from Cheney when the vice president fired.

Armstrong, who was with the group when the accident occurred, said Whittington was "peppered" with birdshot. Pellets hit him in the face and chest, but he never lost consciousness, she said. (Watch how a witness described the accident -- 6:34)

She said Whittington had just shot a quail and had dropped back to retrieve it. He was hit upon rejoining the group and "apparently came up unannounced" as Cheney prepared to fire.

Whittington, a prominent Texas Republican, has been active in state politics since the 1960s and served as chairman of the state Board of Corrections from 1979 to 1985.

In 1999, then-Gov. George W. Bush named him to the state Funeral Services Commission, which had been stung by allegations of widespread corruption and mismanagement in the industry.

Armstrong told CNN that Whittington was a guest of hers, not someone Cheney invited, and she did not know whether the two men had met before.

The vice president, his Secret Service detail and other companions rushed to the wounded man's aid, Armstrong said.

Similar accidents occur "not frequently, but often" among hunters in the area, Salinas said. He said an ambulance that was posted at the ranch while Cheney was visiting took Whittington to the hospital.

Armstrong said Cheney was firing a 28-gauge shotgun, a small-bore weapon commonly used for hunting birds. Cheney has come to her ranch to hunt quail once a year for at least 15 years, and she called him "a very conscientious hunter."

"I would shoot with Dick Cheney everywhere, anywhere, and not think twice about it," she said. But she said, "The nature of quail shooting ensures that this will happen. It goes with the turf."

deafplayer

TRIBE Member
Cheney Apparently Breaks Key Hunting Rule
AP - 55 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney apparently broke the No. 1 rule of hunting: Be sure of what you're shooting at. He also violated Texas game law by failing to buy a hunting stamp. Cheney wounded fellow hunter Harry Whittington in the face, neck and chest Saturday, apparently because he didn't see Whittington approaching as he fired on a covey of quail in Texas. Hunting safety experts interviewed Monday agreed it would have been a good idea for Whittington to announce himself -- something he apparently didn't do, according to a witness. But they stressed that the shooter is responsible for avoiding other people.
Bush Administration Full Coverage on Yahoo! News

deafplayer

TRIBE Member
"apparently breaks key hunting rule"..... " Be sure of what you're shooting at."

Note the implicit assumption that Cheney did not mean to shoot the man in the face.

"Liberal" media my ass

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
13:37 14Feb2006 RPT-Cheney shooting victim suffers heart attack

(Repeating, dropping "s" from word victims in headline)
HOUSTON, Feb 14 (Reuters) - The Texas lawyer accidentally shot by Vice President Dick Cheney during a weekend quail hunt suffered a minor heart attack on Tuesday when some of the birdshot in his body lodged in his heart, a hospital spokesman said.
Harry Whittington, 78, has been moved into intensive care and and will have to stay in the Corpus Christi, Texas hospital where he is being treated for at least another seven days to monitor his condition, said Christus Spohn Memorial Hospital spokesman Peter Banko.
Tuesday, 14 February 2006 13:37:03RTRS [nN14310965] {C}ENDS

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

zoo

TRIBE Member
so are they going to press charges for assault with a weapon?

if the guy dies from the lead ball stuck in his heart, will cheney be up for manslaughter?

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
so are they going to press charges for assault with a weapon?

if the guy dies from the lead ball stuck in his heart, will cheney be up for manslaughter?

Cheney Could Face Charges in Shooting
By MATT CURRY, Associated Press Writer
2 minutes ago

DALLAS - If the man wounded by Dick Cheney dies, the vice president could — in theory at least — face criminal charges, even though the shooting was an accident.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dallas defense attorney David Finn, who has been a state and a federal prosecutor, said Wednesday that a Texas grand jury could bring a charge of criminally negligent homicide if there is evidence the vice president knew or should have known "there was a substantial or unjustifiable risk that his actions would result in him shooting a fellow hunter."

"The risk must be of such a nature and degree that it got to be pretty outrageous — that a reasonable person would have to say, `I am not pulling the trigger because this other guy might be in front of me,'" Finn said.

The charge carries up to two years behind bars, but with no previous felonies Cheney would be eligible for probation, the former prosecutor said.

Mark Skurka, first assistant district attorney of the three-county area where the shooting took place, said prosecutors did not have an investigation under way.

"If something unfortunate happens, then we'll decide what to do, then we'll decide whether we're going to have an investigation or not," Skurka said.

Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old lawyer, was struck in the face, neck and chest with shotgun pellets over the weekend while Cheney was shooting at quail. Whittington suffered a mild heart attack Tuesday after a pellet traveled to his heart.

But on Wednesday, hospital officials said he had a normal heart rhythm again and was sitting up in a chair, eating regular food and planned to do some legal work in his hospital room. Doctors said they are highly optimistic he will recover.

In the only other case of someone being shot by a vice president, Aaron Burr was indicted on murder charges in New York and New Jersey for killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel in 1804, but he was never tried and finished out his term in office.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by why not
In the only other case of someone being shot by a vice president, Aaron Burr was indicted on murder charges in New York and New Jersey for killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel in 1804, but he was never tried and finished out his term in office. [/B]
haha, cause this is totally relavent.

dig this

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by [- FuNKtiOn -]
the Daily Show last night was fucking hilarious.
Jon Stewart can't keep himself from saying the words "Vice president Dick Cheney shot 78 year old man in the face." I think he said at leas 20 times last night. Rob Courdery the night before was doing the same thing. I thing the words just roll off their tongues so easily.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Cheney accepts responsibility for shooting
U.S. vice-president defends secrecy around incident
Feb. 15, 2006. 03:17 PM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON — Vice-President Dick Cheney today accepted full responsibility for shooting a fellow hunter and defended his decision not to publicly disclose the accident until the following day.

"I'm the guy who pulled the trigger that fired the round that hit Harry," Cheney told Fox News Channel in his first public comments since the accident Saturday in south Texas.

"You can talk about all of the other conditions that exist at the time but that's the bottom line and — it was not Harry's fault," he said in an interview with Brit Hume. "You can't blame anybody else. I'm the guy who pulled the trigger and shot my friend."

He was referring to Harry Whittington, 78, who was hit in a bird hunting expedition Saturday. Whittington was reported doing well at a Texas hospital today after doctors a pellet entered his heart and had what doctors called caused "a mild heart attack."

Cheney has been roundly criticized for failing to tell the public about the accident until the next day. He said he thought it made sense to let the owner of the ranch where it happened reveal the accident on the local newspaper's website Sunday morning.

"I thought that was the right call," Cheney said. "I still do."

One pellet from Cheney's shotgun, about 2.5 millimetres in diameter, travelled to Whittington's heart. Hospital officials said the Texan had a normal heart rhythm again Wednesday afternoon and was sitting up in a chair, eating regular food and planning to do some legal work in his room.

-----------------------

Well thanks at least after it is fucking obvious and you don't have any choice your honest about it.

2canplay

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
oh come on guys we live in a world where OJ Simpson and Robert Blake are golfing freely.
WHat's your point, Boss. OJ didn't do it. Or, it certainly wasn't intentional.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hi i'm God
haha, cause this is totally relavent.
No kidding.

I wonder why nobody has mentioned the fact that as recently as 1969, a prominent Democratic Senator (Ted Kennedy) drove his car off a bridge while intoxicated and killed his passenger. He never called for an ambulance, and talked to his lawyer before contacting the police. Oh, and he never spent a day in jail.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
No kidding.

I wonder why nobody has mentioned the fact that as recently as 1969, a prominent Democratic Senator (Ted Kennedy) drove his car off a bridge while intoxicated and killed his passenger. He never called for an ambulance, and talked to his lawyer before contacting the police. Oh, and he never spent a day in jail.

because I totally didn't think of it.

2canplay

TRIBE Member
Dick Cheney still hasn't appeared in public to discuss his accidental shooting of a 78-year-old man, but there are plenty of people willing to speak on the veep's behalf -- among them, Comedy Central's Rob Corddry. Playing the role of a "vice president firearms mishap analyst," Corddry explained it all Monday night for "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart:
Stewart: Rob, obviously a very unfortunate situation. How is the vice president handling it?

Corddry: Jon, tonight the vice president is standing by his decision to shoot Harry Whittington. According to the best intelligence available, there were quail hidden in the brush. Everyone believed at the time there were quail in the brush. And while the quail turned out to be a 78-year-old man, even knowing that today, Mr. Cheney insists he still would have shot Mr. Whittington in the face. He believes the world is a better place for his spreading buckshot throughout the entire region of Mr. Whittington's face.

Stewart: But why, Rob? If he had known Mr. Whittington was not a bird, why would he still have shot him?

Corddry: Jon, in a post-9/11 world, the American people expect their leaders to be decisive. To not have shot his friend in the face would have sent a message to the quail that America is weak.

Stewart: That's horrible.

Corddry: Look, the mere fact that we're even talking about how the vice president drives up with his rich friends in cars to shoot farm-raised wingless quail-tards is letting the quail know "how" we're hunting them. I'm sure right now those birds are laughing at us in that little "covey" of theirs.

Stewart: I'm not sure birds can laugh, Rob.

Corddry: Well, whatever it is they do -- coo -- they're cooing at us right now, Jon, because here we are talking openly about our plans to hunt them. Jig is up. Quails one, America zero.

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
Cheney is not going to be charged with criminal negligence - if he was poor and of a different skin colour, the lovely US justice system would be all over him.

:rolleyes:

why not

TRIBE Member
i find it interesting that he admits to drinking a beer at lunch before the shooting, but wasn't interviewed until much later by police.
you'd think they'd want to do a breatheliser.