1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Diaspora - The Anti-Facebook Arrives September 15: Will You Switch?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Beer babe, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

Diaspora is scheduled to emerge, offering a social network with stronger privacy controls than you-know-what.

Diaspora, the open source social network and potential Facebook challenger, will be ready to launch on September 15, according to the project's developers.

In a recent blog post, the Diaspora team say they have the nascent social networking software up and running, and are happy with the near-final result. Despite these proclamations, however, it's unclear what Diaspora will look like or how it will function when Diaspora finally launches.

Open Source Facebook

Diaspora is meant to be an alternative to Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks allowing you to share content such as photos, status updates, links, and so on. The plan for implementing Diaspora, as I understand it, is for users to download the software package, and then install it on their own Website hosted by yourself or a Web hosting service like Go Daddy.

For those not interested in hosting their own Diaspora site, the team also plans on creating a one-click sign-up version of Diaspora as well. But it's not clear when a hosted version of Diaspora would become available. However, the real power behind Diaspora appears to be the ability to take control of all your social networking data and put it on a server that you control.

Features

Plans for Diaspora after its initial launch include Open ID integration, Voice over Internet Protocol services, and instant messaging. The team also plans to make Diaspora extensible so that developers can write plug-ins for it, which I assume would be similar to using Wordpress plug-ins.

Diaspora Origins

Diaspora was born amid the controversy surrounding Facebook's privacy controls and sharing features such as Instant Personalization. The project was initiated by four New York University students, and was originally conceived as a summer project. After a swarm of media attention, however, and $200,00 of funding raised through Kickstarter, Diaspora appears to be taking on a life of its own. At least two members of the Diaspora team will not resume their studies in the fall to focus instead on Diaspora's long-term ambitions.

But questions still remain about whether Diaspora would ever be able to come close to challenging Facebook and its growing base of 500 million users. Then again, perhaps the point of Diaspora is not to compete with Facebook for number of users. Instead, Diaspora is simply an open alternative for those looking for a social networking solution without the hassle of constantly managing your privacy settings.

http://tech.ca.msn.com/pcworld-article.aspx?cp-documentid=25367924

2. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

So, for the people who are not tech-savvy enough to wrangle their privacy settings into something reasonable - they are expected to setup their own web server/hosting to be part of a social network?

I can see this being appealing to the geek-population, but pretty limited mainstream appeal.

3. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

The name is terrible too. Sounds like a birth control pill.

4. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

I think the name is great and suitable. I'm thinking about switching just based on that.

5. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

HAH, i thought the dev mode was available Sept 15th, and that it was not going live to the public till early october.

[jai]

6. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

For a brown chick calling herself "beer babe" the irony of you thinking that "diaspora" sounds like a birth control pill is rather rich.

7. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

Meh, that's weak.

8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I agree with both these statements.
    I think the name could also be used as some sort of brand of polysporin.

the last thing i need is another thing to fucking download and constantly have to install updates on. cant turn on the computer without it wanting me to install updates on some program or shit.
    dont worry my beloved facebook, i wont leave you, not unless everyone else in the entire world does, which i highly doubt. besides this new fandangled thing will be all fine and good, and then it will start getting problems just like facebook, and they will fuck with your privacy settings just like facebook and it will all wind up being the same old shit.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  9. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I thought they had that already and called it a phone.

10. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

Go back to the 90s.

11. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Do yourself a favour and learn something.

12. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

13. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Me too.

Will probably stick with FB, TBH.

14. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

Spinsah - I learned that you're a crankypants today.

kryzsiu - what are you even doing here? didn't you defect along with the rest of your little posse to the 'other' site?

15. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

so what's the business model here... Facebook's is all about drilling through personal data and deriving eyeball profiles for targeted advertising. What's these guys' excuse? How are they going to sell ads to people if they can't compete with FB's much more valuable model?

16. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Each seed will still have to connect to a hub of some sorts, so behaviour can still be tracked.

17. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

naw, bitch, you dreamin'

18. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

19. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

sooo... where is this other site. I mean, fuk man I've been Bored with the net this past year. Me needs milieux of faux lesbo-wannabe pron stars and other assorted to make my day.
    I mean, seriously, Facebook SUCKS. It's just a bunch of ex-girlfriends reminded me of why I broke up with them, and actual family members reminding me of why I never call them.
    me needs more bitchiness, and Tribe is too *polite* now (although still great for *information*)

20. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

21. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

22. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

I will say that I hate how all of your interests/likes/favourites on Facebook now have to link to actual pages that some goof edits/maintains at will.

Shit is weak.

23. pig-pen

pig-pen TRIBE Member

This only makes me wonder: Just how invincible is Facebook anyways?

24. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Do the letters "AOL" mean anything to you?

25. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

This is why my profile is empty now.