• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Developer Notes for prototype.js

kaniz

TRIBE Member
I've been trying to get my feet wet with using Ajax, and all over the place I kept reading about the prototype.js library - and apparently allot of websites are using it for doing Ajax, and all sorts of other spiffy things that make writing dynamic web-apps with javascript easie. But, the documentation on its site sucks.

Prototype is described as
Prototype is a JavaScript framework that aims to ease development of dynamic web applications. Featuring a unique, easy-to-use toolkit for class-driven development and the nicest Ajax library around, Prototype is quickly becoming the codebase of choice for web application developers everywhere.
andwho, I came across Developer Notes for prototype.js - and is probably one of the best resoruces/documentation on getting started with it.

Prototype.js has alot of neat helper functions like $() which is described as

Using the $() function

The $() function is a handy shortcut to the all-too-frequent document.getElementById() function of the DOM. Like the DOM function, this one returns the element that has the id passed as an argument.
Unlike the DOM function, though, this one goes further. You can pass more than one id and $() will return an Array object with all the requested elements.
however, the function that is of main interest is their Ajax object - and how it really simplfies doing Ajax type calls in web-apps to make life much easier.

Just figured if anyone else here is doing web apps that make use of alot of javascript and/or ajax - this may be of interest.

thats all.