1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Detroit Lead Water Fiasco

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by ndrwrld, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

2. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

brutal, financially and morally bankrupt

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Tons of fuckery, but also not surprising that issue like this happens in part of the country suffering from decades of economic downturn and neglect.

Calling it another Katrina is, in this sense, a well placed comparison...

4. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Let's be clear, it's the Flint Lead Water Fiasco.

The whole crux of this is that Flint decided to stop taking their water from Detroit.

The people responsible for this should be in prison.

As a municipal engineer I spend so much time preaching to people about how tap water is safe, stop buying bottled water, and then shit like this happens...

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

^^ I hear ya.

Wife works on water quality with the MOE so we are often finding ourselves needing to advise on the benefits and zero risks of chlorination/fluoridation to hippie friends caught up in BS about municipal water...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  6. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I'm also a believer of Toronto Water being completely safe to drink. They would also advise the public of any issues immediately for fear of being sued to oblivion if there was ever any outbreak for such a large organization.

Sucks about the Flint Michigan folks... reminds me of the Walkerton tragedy.

7. Snyder should be held personally responsible for the lawsuits that are going to come from this. And pay personally for all the medical bills resulting from the Legionnaire's disease from the people affected.

Dumb fuck still refuses to step down and called this his own "Hurricane Katrina". Year right, only problem is a hurricane isn't trying to save a buck at other people's expense. Nice try at playing a sympathy card that is actually a really shitty analogy.

8. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Well perhaps he meant it as a way to rationalize away his personal responsibility, but I saw Katrina as very much a man made disaster:

- decades of neglect for the flood prevention infrastructure
    - shitty response in early days

So seen in this way, comparing to Katrina should still be seen as a condemnation of the human element at work in flint and why we have this disaster now

9. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

10. [​IMG]

"Gov Synder doesn't care about black people.'

11. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Agree that Katrina was ultimately a man made disaster but the difference here is that with Katrina, neglect could be explained away by saying there was only a chance of something happening. A long game of russian roulette if you will.

Flint, something had happened. Chance was no longer in play. This was a fully loaded gun and they pulled the trigger anyway.

12. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

And what's even more galling is that there were two steps of criminal negligence.

1. They were told that the water had to be treated to stop its pollutants from dissolving the old lead watermains. They chose not to treat the water. That alone should put everyone in prison from the engineers up to the government authorities.

2. When they found out that sure enough the lead pipes were dissolving, they still chose to do nothing.

13. I think you and I both know that he's making the analogy in order to reduce the blame of his actions. Making it seem more like this is an act of nature than it is him being directly responsible.

Like Matt said - even when he knew what was going on, he did fuck all. He's completely in damage control right now and trying to save his own skin rather than do his job and own up to his actions.

14. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya no argument there just didnt want people thinking Katrina was a "natural disaster" when the "disaster" part only happened through the foibles of man.

15. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Katrina.
    those levees weren't going to hold. no one expected Katrina to be that powerful. Katrina was a natural disaster.
    Flint's powers that be knew, in advance, were warned, of the consequences. they did it anyways.

Clinton was right, if this were a white affluent neighborhood, this shit would not have happened, and the response would have been financially astounding, and quick.

“Secretary Clinton was right,” Sanders said. “What I did, which I think is also right, is demanded the resignation of (the) governor. A man who acts that irresponsibly should not stay in power.”

Following Clinton’s remarks, Snyder defended his handling of Flint’s tainted water and took to Twitter to say “political statements and finger pointing from political candidates only distract from solving the Flint water crisis.”
    Fuck this guy.
    Meanwhile, in Snyderland...
    Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder and wife moving into $2M condo in downtown Ann Arbor | MLive.com

16. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Miguel Del Toral emerges from EPA’s House Arrest; FlintWaterStudy supports requested federal relief for Flint | Flint Water Study Updates
    this Miguel guy who broke this story to his superiors, following the proper chain of command, was gagged, and given house arrest by this cunt Susan Hedman...who just resigned.

problem with this story is, it stinks of a smear campaign to save Politicians the shame and their jobs.
    Either way, Prison should be the next stop for most involved, and Miguel deserves a raise and promotion.

17. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

18. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

The wikipedia article on this sheds some light on the history of this issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_water_crisis

It looks like Flint tried to get in on a Lake Huron water source and then Detroit got pissed and revoked their license once they didn't want to renew their contract. This looks like it started the chain of events that led to this problem.

19. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Turf wars make me so mad.

Get some vision you fucking twats

20. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

21. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Makes sense after decades of low-tax mantra and devastated state and municipal budgets too - here the systemic corrosion of the rust belt is making itself known in poisoned children.

The rats are nipping at each other and caught in gamesmanship because they are fighting over scraps - stupendous wealth is generated in America, but you wouldn't know it in many parts of Flyover Country.

Its partly a mess of the public's own making, in continuing to vote in politicians promising to lower taxes at any cost and rewarding politicians cycle after cycle for kowtowing to the dogma that sees very specific and identifiable policies come about, reducing the revenues of government, reducing inspectors, keeping the EPA neutered - the list goes on and on.

There's tons of blame to go around - and no one deserves it more than the venal politicians that perpetuated this tragedy.

I'm not excusing them - only outlining the rules of the game that set the stage for some of the biggest, tragic examples of human frailty and myopia to happen in recent memory.

Its at this more "meta" level that puts this in the same category as Katrina, the methane leak in California and the BP oil spill in the gulf, to name a only a few in this continuing Saga of Stupidity.

Saint Reagan and the Wrecking Crew did their dirty work and convinced a lot of people that the destruction of public service and well funded government was the best thing to happen for all of us.

23. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

24. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

25. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member