• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Detailed Analysis of the National Post Propaganda Machine

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
This is in response to the now discredited article regarding proposed Iranian legislation that would have required Iranian Jews (and other minorities) to wear uniforms.

Here is the actual Iranian Legislation.

The newspaper URL="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19196947-1702,00.html"]The Australian[/URL] conducted an interview with Maurice Motammed, Iran's Jewish MP. On behalf of the Jewish community, he denounced the story.

Maurice Motammed said:
"This report is a complete fabrication and is totally false," Maurice Motammed said in Tehran. "It is a lie, and the people who invented it wanted to make political gain"
Mr Motammed said he had been present in parliament when a bill to promote "an Iranian and Islamic style of dress for women" was voted. Motammed added that "In the law, there is no mention of religious minorities".[/quote]

It is typical of black psychological operations campaigns that they begin with a plant in a relatively obscure newspaper that is then picked up by the mainstream press. Once the Jerusalem Post picks it up then reporters can source it there, even though the Jerusalem Post has done no original reporting and has just relied upon the National Post article, which is extremely vague in its own sourcing (to "human rights groups"). Here is the matching Jerusalem Post article.

The author of the National Post article, Amir Taheri, is sponsored by a neoconservative public relations firm called Benadar Associates/.

These are two seperate reports about the PR Firm that National Post author Amir Taheri represents:
Journalist Jim Lobe said:
"Meet Eleana Benador, the Peruvian-born publicist for Richard Perle, [former CIA director] James Woolsey, Michael Ledeen, Frank Gaffney and a dozen other prominent neoconservatives whose hawkish opinions proved very hard to avoid for anyone who watched news talk shows or read the op-ed pages of major newspapers over the past 20 months. Also found among her client list are other major war-boosters, including former New York Times executive editor and now New York Daily News columnist, A. M. Rosenthal; Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer; the Council on Foreign Relations' resident imperialist Max Boot; and Victor Davis Hanson, a blood-and-guts classicist and one of Vice President Dick Cheney's favorite dinner guests.
Source: Daily Kos

Source Watch (A project of the Center for Media & Democracy said:
Eleana Benador is a Peruvian-born linguist who acts as a "sort of theatrical agent for experts on the Middle East and terrorism, organizing their TV appearances and speaking engagements." Her clients have included Richard N. Perle, Michael Rubin, David Wurmser, and Laurie Mylroie (author of Saddam Hussein's Unfinished War Against America) and Judith Miller (Saddam Hussein and the Crisis in the Gulf, co-authored with Mylroie), a New York Times journalist.

It is alleged that, of the twenty-eight clients in Benador's "books," at least nine are connected with the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), the Washington Institute, and the Middle East Forum.
Source: here

Here is a Guardian Article all about US PR firms and their use by the Department of Defense as propaganda instruments, including Benador Associates.

The National Post is owned by CanWest. The Editor of the Montreal Gazette--also owned by CanWest--details the deliberate editorial bias imposed by media giant, forcing its newspapers to avoid any criticism of Israel.

Montreal Gazette Editor said:
"[T]hat is to say they do not want to see any criticism of Israel. We do not run in our newspaper op-ed pieces that express criticism of Israel and what it is doing in the Middle East etcetera. We do not have that free-wheeling debate that there should be about all these issues.

We even had an incident where a fellow, a professor at... the University of Waterloo, wrote an op-ed piece for us in which he was criticising the anti-terrorism law and criticising elements of civil rights etcetera. Now that professor happens to be a Muslim and happens to have an Arab name. We got a call from headquarters demanding to know why we had printed this.

Now this kind of questioning goes on all the time. Our TV critic...devoted half a column to a documentary which was run on CBC, Witness, on Israeli soldiers targeting journalists -- and primarily Palestinian journalists -- in Hebron. Now this column was almost killed. She had to go to protest to the union before it was finally run, and [the management] asked her to make changes which would have somehow, in their view, softened it or something.

This kind of chill is through the whole place and it's very dangerous because it breaks the trust with readers and I think eventually will hurt the asset.

And for anybody who thinks that Canadian Media is any more free and independent that America's, look at CanWest's OWN words:

CanWest's 2000 Annual Report said:
...[O]n July 31, CanWest announced its acquisition of all of the major Canadian newspaper and Internet assets of Hollinger Inc., including the metropolitan daily newspapers in nearly every large city across Canada and a 50% partnership interest in the National Post. We closed that transaction successfully on November 16, 2000, following completion by the Competition Bureau of its three-month review of the transaction.

The magnitude of these deals is unprecedented. Just a few months ago, the $860 million WIC purchase was the largest acquisition in the history of Canadian media. The $3.2 billion transaction to bring the Hollinger newspaper assets to CanWest remains the biggest media convergence deal ever consummated in Canada. The deal transformed CanWest into a $7.5 billion international media company and the largest Canadian publisher of daily newspapers.

In addition, the National Post regularly sources corporate lobby groups instead of independent experts. One of their favorites is The C.D. Howe Institute which advocates increasing personal taxes while lowering corporate taxes. The Board of Directors of the C.D. Howe Institute is populated by the CEOs of Canada's largest, richest and most powerful corporations.

The C.D. Howe Institute's Chairman is Tim Hearn Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Imperial Oil Limited. Their Vice Chairman is Vice-Chairman Tony Comper, President and Chief Executive Officer of the BMO Financial Group. Their directors include the presidents and CEOs of: General Electric Canada Inc., Bank of Nova Scotia, Shell Canada Limited, Nortel Networks, Ford Motor Company of Canada and many others.

You can read more about the National Post's corporate propaganda services in Inventing Tax Rage: Misinformation in the National Post

The Post wrote an article about huge sums of money leaving the country and said this was because taxes are too high. They cited the CD Howe institute as saying that if taxes were lower, capital flight would occur less. This is, of course, ridiculous because CORPORATIONS are the ones causing "capital flight". Now when I went to check out their website THE FIRST LINE read "C.D. Howe Institute urges Quebec to freeze personal income tax cuts". But, I thought they wanted tax cuts--they do, corporate ones. Get it? (This was a year ago and I don't have the actual source, but trust me.)

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
agreed,

the post is a seething pack of lying pro-jewish propaganda driven corporate raiders.

they are dangerous not because they are all of the things above but because they so cleverly dress themselves up as a middle of the road, liberal newspaper and are slowly like a cancer spreading their tentacles through our media ie: global news.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
agreed,

the post is a seething pack of lying pro-jewish propaganda driven corporate raiders.

they are dangerous not because they are all of the things above but because they so cleverly dress themselves up as a middle of the road, liberal newspaper and are slowly like a cancer spreading their tentacles through our media ie: global news.
I object to the term "pro-Jewish". Perhaps "pro-Israel" would be more appropriate. What is so bad about Jews that makes being "Pro-Jewish" a bad thing?

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
I object to the term "pro-Jewish". Perhaps "pro-Israel" would be more appropriate. What is so bad about Jews that makes being "Pro-Jewish" a bad thing?
true enough, pro-isreal would have been a more accurate description.

i avoided the use of the term "claw" in favour of 'tentacles' to avoid the stereotypic portrayl of your people!! :D :p

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
And here I thought National Post was just being mildly douchey and alarmist... turns out there's a whole lot more to this, and now I don't quite feel so bad for having my biases towards them.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
Now when I went to check out their website THE FIRST LINE read "C.D. Howe Institute urges Quebec to freeze personal income tax cuts". But, I thought they wanted tax cuts--they do, corporate ones. Get it? (This was a year ago and I don't have the actual source, but trust me.)
Sorry to get off on a tangent from the main topic, but your year-old recollection of a C.D. Howe publication that cannot be sourced is dodgy at best. I did a quick search for "tax" under the publications section of the C.D. Howe website and the first result was:

Lower Taxes, Focused Spending, Stronger Federation: A Shadow Federal Budget for 2006

It's quite clear about proposing a number of personal income tax reductions, which they estimate would reduce personal income taxes by about $18 million per year once fully implemented.

The institute also published a comprehensive review of Canadian tax policy in September 2005 which also proposed lowering personal income tax rates.

The 2005 Tax Competitiveness Report: Unleashing the Canadian Tiger

The list goes on and on.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
Sorry to get off on a tangent from the main topic, but your year-old recollection of a C.D. Howe publication that cannot be sourced is dodgy at best. I did a quick search for "tax" under the publications section of the C.D. Howe website and the first result was:

Lower Taxes, Focused Spending, Stronger Federation: A Shadow Federal Budget for 2006

It's quite clear about proposing a number of personal income tax reductions, which they estimate would reduce personal income taxes by about $18 million per year once fully implemented.

The institute also published a comprehensive review of Canadian tax policy in September 2005 which also proposed lowering personal income tax rates.

The 2005 Tax Competitiveness Report: Unleashing the Canadian Tiger

The list goes on and on.

Won't argue with that. Fair enough. I do destinctly remember the thing about freezes to income tax cuts in quebec, but obviously that may have been a specific case. However, a lot of these corporate lobbies dress up their proposals in crafty ways to look like they are better for the average person when in fact they benefit the corporate sector. Just to reiterate that is my view of "usually" and I don't dispute the cases you've brought to my attention.

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Hi i'm God said:
I want to get all outraged n'stuff but then I'd feel bad like someone would label me anti-semetic or something.
It's like the boy who cried wolf. Eventually everyone stopped beleiving him or even listening to him. The same goes for the term "anti-semetic"... this term has been thrown around as a means to silence those that disagree with Israeli policy. It's used to signal outrage and alarms when there really isn't a problem...just a diagreement on Israeli policy. Therefore, the term "anti-semetic" is dead to me!

Last edited:

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
man_slut said:
It's like the boy who cried wolf. Eventually everyone stopped beleiving him or even listening to him. The same goes for the term "anti-semetic"... this term has been thrown around as a means to silence those that disagree with Israeli policy. It's used to signal outrage and alarms when there really isn't a problem...just a diagreement on Israeli policy. Therefore, the term "anti-semetic" is dead to me!

isnt it a form of anti-semitism to sugest that jewish people will automatically accuse a person of being anti-semitic for critisizing isreali policy?

in effect presupposing that jewish people arent able to distinguish legitimate critism of state policy and ethnic slurs.

i agree that some cannot, but i dont think most jewish people see it the same way, or at least to the degree of calling out any critism of isreal "anti-semitism".

and if you do... you'll get the jew claw!!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Considering I said people SHOULD use the word Israel, obviously I don't think criticising Israel is anti-semitic. I am both Jewish and a critic of Israeli policy.

Also, Your Honor, I didn't meant to accuse you being anti-semitic at all. I merely intended to adapt a problematic term specifically to avoid this thread turning into one about semites and those that may or may not be against them

But MORE IMPORTANTLY, let's talk about the things I pointed out in my "analysis," mistakes and all.

2canplay

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
Won't argue with that. Fair enough. I do destinctly remember the thing about freezes to income tax cuts in quebec, but obviously that may have been a specific case. However, a lot of these corporate lobbies dress up their proposals in crafty ways to look like they are better for the average person when in fact they benefit the corporate sector. Just to reiterate that is my view of "usually" and I don't dispute the cases you've brought to my attention.
$18 million? I think you hit the nail on the head Selly Cat. The lobbies dress it up to make it look fair and balanced. I'd guess that $18 million is under .1% of the total personal income tax take. That. is. a. joke.

2canplay

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
Considering I said people SHOULD use the word Israel, obviously I don't think criticising Israel is anti-semitic. I am both Jewish and a critic of Israeli policy.

Also, Your Honor, I didn't meant to accuse you being anti-semitic at all. I merely intended to adapt a problematic term specifically to avoid this thread turning into one about semites and those that may or may not be against them

But MORE IMPORTANTLY, let's talk about the things I pointed out in my "analysis," mistakes and all.
The thing is, most folks on this board (the politics section) know about this bias. All you need to do is read the headlines. It's like they get an advanced copy of the Daily News and throw together their daily copy.

Last month I met a News Editor of the Post at a party. Her job is to make sure that news content and editorial content a) does not step on the toes of current and prospective corporate advertisers, and b) provides opportunities to tie in advertising to their content (ie, they don't talk about what is not related to their big advertisers - for example, health care, or the benefits of private health care and Pharma, would get a healthy dose of coverage).

In the next breath, the bitch was saying that the CBC should be scrapped, out of principle!!! Then I said, "are you kidding me??? You just fucking finished telling me your job is designed to keep information away from the Canadian people??? So if there is no CBC, who breaks stories that might offend BigCo, you, the Custodians of Canadian Democracy at the Post???"

Fucking crazy. A whole bunch of idealogies mixed up in the head, I guess.

I'll never forget this Izzy quote, widely published, in response to an editorial debate amongst his news group in New Zealand "Look, your job is to sell soap...stop with the bullshit, just sell soap."

That pretty much sums up Canwest's approach to news. I'm not saying they are bad guys or anything, they are probably as Proudly Canadian as any of us, but to deny they have a corporate bias is laughable. Furthermore, to those who think it's OK to have a corporate bias, I'd say you are short sighted and probably a little deluded.

Last edited:

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:

i know what you were saying and i didnt take it as such.

i too am italian and critic of tight italian fashion becuase it makes guys look ghey.

we are brothers in arms!!!

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
2canplay said:
$18 million? I think you hit the nail on the head Selly Cat. The lobbies dress it up to make it look fair and balanced. I'd guess that $18 million is under .1% of the total personal income tax take. That. is. a. joke.
Sorry, that was a typo. The figure is $18 BILLION. Not to mention an additional $12 billion from GST relief.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

2canplay

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
Sorry, that was a typo. The figure is $18 BILLION. Not to mention an additional $12 billion from GST relief.
Well it should be $40 billion. We Canadians pay waaaay tooo much tax.

2canplay

TRIBE Member
Actually, $60 billion would be better. That would double the proposal of Adrian, and be equivalent to $2000 per Canadian, or $3000 per tax payer per year.

Yes, $60 billion. And the good part is we wouldn't need to cut services. All we need to do is cut the fat and cut back where the government doesn't need to be!!!

$60 billion is the number.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
NO NO NO! You guys don't get it.

Over the last like thirty years, income taxes have steadily risen at the same rate that corporate taxes have FALLEN! Corporate taxes are like single digits figures! The less tax THEY pay, the more tax YOU pay.

What that means is that if YOU PAY LESS TAX, you'll get no services. You'll get none of those neat Canadian perks. And that, by the way, is why the Corporate Lobbyists so desperately spew "reports" and "findings" urging the government to curb spending.

If you want to pay less, you must demand that corporations pay more. The goal is not to rob the government of funds--that would be suicidal. The goal should be to make corporations REPAY us, THROUGH THE GOVERNMENT, for everything we've given them: Our labor, our ideas, our support, OUR MONEY, our tolerance of their endless exploitation and bullshit through advertising, service fuck-arounds, corruption of the political process through campaign financing and their control of information.

While corporate taxes have plummeted and income taxes have sky-rocketed, corporations have reduced Canadians' salaries by about 20% over the last 20 years. At the same time, their profits have soared beyond all proportions AND they constantly pressure the government to help the people less and less. The corporate sector actively seeks cutbacks in government programs that benefit common people.

The result: Canadians are paid less, taxed more and worked harder--corporations TAKE the most and give the least.

Corporate taxes should be raised exponentially. And by the way, the argument about international competition is bullshit; these companies can make up the shortfall by digging into their incredible profit reserves. Fuck the corporate sector; they've whored us all out. Another bullshit coutner-argument is that if corporations were taxed more, they'd have to lower slaraies--that's a fucking joke because they ALREADY lowered salaries WHILE paying lower taxes. They don't give a shit about your salary.

Last edited:

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
SellyCat, could you please provide a source for the following claims:

Over the last like thirty years, income taxes have steadily risen at the same rate that corporate taxes have FALLEN! Corporate taxes are like single digits figures!
While corporate taxes have plummeted and income taxes have sky-rocketed, corporations have reduced Canadians' salaries by about 20% over the last 20 years.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
The first comes from the documentary called "The Corporation". I also know this from an Economics class I took at UofT a couple years ago. It was in an article explaining how that transformation took place and the rationalisations behind it.

The second--and I should have been clear about this--refers to North America and I saw it in another documentary but I can't remember which one. The 20% over 20-years was also in a Time Magazine article about how the current generation of young aduilts finally breaks from their parents MUCH later than before. 27-30 instead of 18-21 for our (my) parents.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
With all due respect, "I saw it in a movie" or "I remember reading an article" does not provide a sufficient basis for further discussion.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
With all due respect, "I saw it in a movie" or "I remember reading an article" does not provide a sufficient basis for further discussion.
Whatever AdRiaN, it isn't entirely unreasonable. Formally, it may not be sufficient to sway a government's policy, but for casual discussion it is fair. Using articles, documentary films or academia as resources is perfectly legitimate; precise citations are difficult and I doubt you would say the same if someone was trying to quote The Economist, for example.

Shug

TRIBE Member
You Tribers are so shitty at discussions. You scream and wail endlessly for sources.

Look, I can find an article backing up any ridiculous claim I could come up with, on the Internet - it's a big place. Being able to google for an article backing your claim doesn't make automatically a valid point, imho.

This forum is 70% just regurgitation from news wires and online news sources (which I've already read, anyway). Too many of you guys hide behind that instead of digesting information, analyzing it, and providing your own opinion and/or interpretation that maybe *gasp* wasn't covered or backed up by news.google that day.

How about learning to think a bit more critically, regardless of how many quote boxes are contained in the post, or links listed?

Sources are important in some instances, sure... but in a useless work-day-waster wank-fest forum like this, is that even really worth the time to cut and paste? We all have our preconceived notions and options, and no matter how many links any of us post, we will never really change the minds of people on our opposite... so your shreiking for source, to me, just sounds like useless contrariness in lieu of a valid counter-argument for a very clear and already-won argument.