• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Destiny @ the Docks

shiftah

TRIBE Member
i don't think i had been to the docks since D35 and it's safe to say the building is completely different. the next level overlooking the stage head-on is fucking fabulous... and the rooftop balcony with the lakefront view was gorgeous.. freezing, but still nice to get some fresh air without being squished into a tent like most other venues

got there around 11:30 and had some drinks watching the place fill up. feels started off the main room with lots of energy. twisted individual was straight goods, sounded absolutley ridiculous on that system..

the breaks lounge was where the party was all night though. could not have asked for a better night of music. the guys absolutely killed that room and it was still going strong when we left around 5.. or was it 6? maybe it was 7.. hahahaha apparently the extra hour of drinking made a difference.

it was great to look around the room and see everyone in there with smiles from ear to ear while bustin non-stop just because they can.. gotta love a (dare i say) vibe like that

unfortunatley i missed out on dancing to the sneaky pimps which i was really anticipating but other than that i got down to many of my favourite tunes.. all screaming and hollering like a crazy person. good times

thanks to destiny for continuing to up the ante with bringing in a breaks room, and thanks to everyone who played.. it really was a fun and memorable night

quote of the night : "you're gonna hafta get rid of the glowsticks if you wanna talk to me"

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
I had a ton o fun in the breaks room. It was definately the place to be. D-monic, Chu and Saddler tore it up while I was there. Felt funny to see all the 12 year old candy ravers in some of the rooms there. At least the breaks room was 19+. Fun times and I love that the breaks room was situated in the better part of the club nice vibe.

mingster

TRIBE Member
boredom, boredom and more boredom in the main room.

the mc, dj split positioning sucked! if they were able to harvest a little more focus and energy in one spot ed rush and optical's set might have been a little better. the room was without soul.

things got better when the jungle moved into the tides. capital j played well there, and the atmosphere was just better. probably cause it was smaller and focused.

blah, one of the most boring raves i've ever been to.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
EV_dick.jpg

"ev is a dick" and other Halloween photos, now in the gallery....

http://www.tribemagazine.com/photos/

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
YA I was pissed that this party cost $50 and I got tricked to going. Ed Rush was a fucking snooze fest. All the tunes he dropped sucked diggy, has he even heard of an amen? It's not 1998 anymore someone should wake these UK guys the fuck up and tell them the days of a simple bassline and looped drums are over, put a little effort in your production and selection. The crowd stood still. Party definitly got started with Capital J. More and more over the years I realise that Capital J is a savior for this city bringing in shitty headlining acts. If J hadnt of torn it up, that party woulda gone dead. But surprise surprise J ripped the shit out of this party as he always does. Good work. Always a pleasure, Mystical from what I saw was solid, Catch and Wreck totally solid. I found myself smiling at all of the great home grown tunes being dropped. Summer 2005 definitly brought alot of the fun back into jungle. Had a fun time. This party had lots of slutty school girls. nurses, cheerleaders, and bunnies. It always coulda used more! YOOOOWZA!

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
fun times indeed.

nice to see destiny can still pull in a good crowd, and the purephunk room was also a nice addition.

the place was full without being uncomfortably crowded. probably 2,500 - 3,000 total.

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by ShiFtAh

the breaks lounge was where the party was all night though. could not have asked for a better night of music. the guys absolutely killed that room and it was still going strong when we left around 5.. or was it 6? maybe it was 7.. hahahaha apparently the extra hour of drinking made a difference.

Yah the breaks room was going off! Talk about fun times. Too bad my costume (thanks to Mon) fell apart and the staples starting digging into my skin. We went on till 7 and pretty much closed with the main room. This was truly one of the favourite sets that I played. A big thanks to Destiny and Purephunk!

musik_fiend

TRIBE Member
They call it a rave .. and destiny sure was Had an awsome rave yr anniversary met tons of ppl that i havent seen in a good while MAAAD fun as for music it was ok ,seen them spin better was dissapointed with that couch in the middle of the breaks room (wtf) and not alot of ppl dancing and 19+ (only dissapointing b/c my friend didnt bring her id), dnb not too impressed considering optical/ed rush iare one of my fav's there performance was ok, i discovered the happy hardcore room :eek: , So thats where all the all agers r hanging out lol . not alot of ppl dressed up the crowd was ok i think last years was better but then again it was my first rave so everything seemed amazing , it was fun partying with all my friends. for that night the venue and musical acts were not a priority tonight ( so it being bad didnt matter) but partying with my friends and the ones i love def was.

ps No matter how many substances are in me I WILL NEVER LIKE HAPPY HARDCORE ~shutters at the thought of the room.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I better post this before I forget...

Sean and I were on our way to the docks and we past by the Guv.
holy crap! There was a hugeeeeeeeeeeee line up even worst than the 9 year event.
I for one was really glad we weren't freezing our bottoms off in that queue.

Thanks again to Dan for giving me VIP passes. Too awesome.

I found that not every single person was in costume to my relief and I personally didn't think the 16+ factor was a big deal. In fact, I hardly noticed them. Being 19+ did have a huge advantage as coat check was awesome! [we saw a HUGE line up for the downstairs coat check] Obviously, the breaks room was a major bonus too.

First thing, I wanted to do if to make sure we knew where each room was.
We entered the hardcore room - it was really too congested. I kept tripping over the stupid
metal barriers. D'oh.

By the time, we got there - Jelo was playing and that's when I made the decision not go see Ed Rush and Opticial or Embryon crew. Jelo's set was mediocre. Was his set good? hell yeah but I was excepting more. I was also happy to see the poster of his new cd and some postcards floating around. :D

Sean and I were grooving. In comes in this girl - dark hair, wearing a white shirt and short military skirt, boots with some dangling glo-sticks at the back of her boots. Or some shit. She was quite a sight. Kicking her legs frantically in air like some wild buck horse. Not like anyone cares but some random chap happened to be standing right behind her....

Psycho: What the fuck are you looking at?
Dude: uhh.
Psycho: Stop fucking looking at me, you are sexually harassing me. STOP FUCKING LOOKING AT ME.

She proceeds to start KICKING THE GUY. HARD KICKS TO THE GROINS. THE LEGS.
this guy is also stupid. MOVE OUTTA THE WAY.

Dude: wtf bitch?

She freaking kicked him really badly away from him.

I was half shocked and half laughing my ass off. I almost stepped between them but I didn't want to get kicked psycho random girl and I am NO WAY in hell any martial art expert or defence expert.

It was so fucking ridiculous. The guy was just standing there, kinda looking at her. There was no reason to start KICKING him all the way to the back of the room. weirdo.

Walter and Thingie OSD came on. Pretty happenin' set. Don't remember any of the tracks.

Sean and I are grooving. thud thud thud.

This cute girl decked in some costumes starts leaning back on him. Whatever. She's up again.
Again she does it but she's not coming back up.

It was all slow like trance motion - I kinda stretch out my arms and she's falling.
Her mouth is wide opened. Her eyes are huge. The life was sucked right outta her.

I feel her in my arms. She doesn't stop shaking. She jolts. She's on the ground and she doesn't stop. Some dude in a suit says, I'll get help.
I freeze. Where are the fucking paramedic? Why aren't they here as yet? I kinda start panicking. I've already stepped away from her.

She's still shaking. I don't even know if she's breathing anymore. I don't see anyone coming so I try to go to the nearest security personnel but someone is already there and I try to walk towards the other exit. They arrive.
They turn her over and finally someone starts pushing the crowd away and picks up the girl and moves out.

I've never seen a person OD before. I was pretty shaken up. It did suck. It did put a huge damper on things.
I tried to forget about it. You know, things happen. Move on. Sean noticed the look the on my face. He asked me whether I wanted to change rooms. Nah, screw that. I knew he wanted to see these dj's spin.

It just so happen Amy walked past by me. She's one of the ravers who comes all the way from the USA to attend Hulla, Goodfellaz e.t.c. I asked whether her girlfriend was here and that I already saw Paul [her other friend].
She insisted I meet Mary and whisked me off to the hardcore room. I met her blahblah.

What am I listening to? GABBER!!!!!!! THAT's RIGHT! holy fuck the hardcore room was the most craziesttttttttt. It was fucking awesome. One dj was wearing a gasmask and the other white t covered in blood. MAN THEY LAID DOWN FUCKING AWESOME TRACKS! The lighting was deaddddddly. Gasmasked man starts starts swearing at us and we are all yelling and swearing back at him. TOO AWESOME! I loved the fact there were other girls next to me, screaming and stamping their feet.

then the dj's switch and fucking happy hardcore came on. I legged it out there as fast as I could.

Yeah. So I'm smart and I can't find Sean anywhere. Thank goodness for text messaging.

Anyway, I wanted to go and thank someone for hooking me up - so I dragged Sean with me and we entered the breaks room. To begin with, the sound was really really loud but my ears got used to it after a while.

Breaks are awesome but sooo freakin hard to dance to. There was some dude in a suit - freakin'kicking old school! What I mean is, he was poppin and lockin his way on the dancefloor. Awesome. 2thebeat crew was there, of course. Loud and kickin'.

highlight of the breaksroom. Turn around and see THE DESTINY ROLLCALL THREAD ON TA! hahahha. It then said WHERE ARE ALL THE TA'S? pretty awesome. Too bad most people were not TA's.

I happen to bump into my hot dancing partner from Guetta. What was your name again? i'm horrible with names!

I'm not gonna say which dj it was but the beginning of it....CHOO CHOO TRAINWRECK! haha. You know which dj you are because the look on your face was priceless. Doesn't matter dude. You had a great tracklisting anyway.

So it was then time for Second Sun. I've never heard of these peeps but I happen to listen to one track off their website. It was a live set. It had to be good. Off I drag Sean into the mainroom. To begin with, there was hardly anyone in the mainroom. It slowly started to fill up. Some stupid windup toy was in my way and we had to move. grrrr.

The intro to Second Sun was wicked. Canadian dj's. yay!
Second sun's beats and singing were awesome. I loved how the dude sung and the other guy was kinda mouthing the words or something like that. No idea what any of the tracks were. I loved it all. They performed so well. Mohawk dude enjoyed himself throughly pointing to crowd - doing the rockstar gestures e.t.c. I loved it. I was being all cheesy and raising my hands up in the air and shit. Too awesome. They really got the crowd going.

After they are done, we all turn to the side to be introduced to... PREACH!!! WOOOOOOO. Apparently, he played a kickass set the night before in Montreal. Woo! I kinda knew what beats to hear from him because I had cheated earlier and check out his video sets off his website. Tunage! Really stretched out the tracks and teased us with the bass. Everytime, he slowed down - I would yawn, think about leaving and BAM! hit us harrrrd with the beat. He played a certain track which I recognised from a Jelo set and we were going crazzzy! Damn. I can't remember how the track went. Half way through Preach's set. I noticed the mohawk second sun dude hobbling along with crutches [DAMN! utmost respect to him for STILL performing while being injured!] I pushed Sean and said goooo talk to himmm. Sean said hey blahblah and....wait for it.. I TOOK A PHOTO OF SEAN AND THE SECOND SUN DUDE!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! nothing beats taking a pic with an awesome dj.

what else happened that I missed out?

Costume commentary.
ahhh i'll do it later.

Came home at 8am woke up at 11 am. Did a double shift.
Totally exhausted? yes
Worth it? yes

Sorry for the typos. I can't be bothered check my work and edit.

Thank you Destiny.
Thank you Sean for being awesome and understand.

Medic

TRIBE Member
Re: I better post this before I forget...

Originally posted by ravinjunkie
This cute girl decked in some costumes starts leaning back on him. Whatever. She's up again.
Again she does it but she's not coming back up.

It was all slow like trance motion - I kinda stretch out my arms and she's falling.
Her mouth is wide opened. Her eyes are huge. The life was sucked right outta her.

I feel her in my arms. She doesn't stop shaking. She jolts. She's on the ground and she doesn't stop. Some dude in a suit says, I'll get help.
I freeze. Where are the fucking paramedic? Why aren't they here as yet? I kinda start panicking. I've already stepped away from her.

She's still shaking. I don't even know if she's breathing anymore. I don't see anyone coming so I try to go to the nearest security personnel but someone is already there and I try to walk towards the other exit. They arrive.
They turn her over and finally someone starts pushing the crowd away and picks up the girl and moves out.

I've never seen a person OD before. I was pretty shaken up. It did suck.

I was one of the medics for this event and attended to her. She had a seizure but made a full recovery in our care. The only real risk was before arrived because she vomited while unconscious and it was blocking her airway. Standard first aid for this (once they stop seizing) is to roll them on their side to prevent this blockage but she was still on her back when we got there. Fortunately we were already on site and not far away (thanks to Destiny and Docks management that support the use of medics for large events) but it's something everyone should know about. It could happen to anyone so it's a good idea to get training in the basics. It could save someone's life.

All in all though, a great event. We had a good time too! Handed out lollipops to some people waiting in the line up, met some fun folks and enjoyed the party!

~ Adam

Blood startin' to spill? Feelin' ill? Messed up on a pill? or just need to chill?

We're there...

Emergency Medical Responders -
"Where do you need us?"

Last edited: