• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

DESTINY PRESENTS: no subs with DNB!

FlexdeFunk

TRIBE Member
well,

after being very very excited to see 3 of the top DnB producers in the world, and after waiting 3 years for Toronto to host it's own VIRAM, I was hype.

Docks soundsytems has sucked, and it's been great, but this night I found it the worst I have ever heard it before (after 10 years of going to the Docks) "Love Affair" back in the day (micky finn w GQ if anyone remembers) had much better sound.

the worst part about the night?????

the subs were on, they were just turned down FOR THE WHOLE NIGHT!!!! Turning the subs down for a night of huge Drum'n'Bass basslines, is unexplainable.

what does ed rush and opticle sound like on the sound system last night? I would try putting one of your old drumnbass tapes into a regular stereo system and press play.

I thought Destiny would constantly try to raise there standards of parties, specailly after 10 years of throwing them but it's very evident that Toronto's lone 'rave' company can't even through a decent party anymore (i.e. a good SOUNDSYSTEM is all I ask for when you are asked to pay $45 at the door.

get your act together guys, and please try and present an event worth paying the ticket price.

Last edited:

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Blame the people on Toronto Islands

They have been in constant battle with The Docks over the bass form the club going across the water and keeping them awake at night.

FlexdeFunk

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:

They have been in constant battle with The Docks over the bass form the club going across the water and keeping them awake at night.

Had no clue.............doubt anyone else knows about that either, glad we got that one out in the open!!!

Don't think I'll be heading to the docks again if that's the case.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
kaniz said:

Yep, very true. This has been an ongoing battle for the Docks.

killahkali

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:

the best thing is ive known the lady that over the top complains for 24 years. she's my friends mom and she is nucking futs. i love the island, but shes a bonafied carnie!!!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

El Diablo

kaniz said:

This is quite unfortunate. They spend all that money installing that monster soundsystem that's supposed to be the best on the planet, and the only people that can enjoy it are the top 40 crowds in the summer.

But then, we're right back to the old problem: Toronto's lack of venues. The only other venue that size that can do events like that is the Guv, and it seems everyone has a probelm with the Guv... so what now?

Personally, I had a great time last night. Great music and a great crowd that seemed quite up for a party. Nice work Destiny!

mingster

TRIBE Member
ugh there's nothing worse than drum and bass without the bass.

except maybe paying $45 at the door for it. the fuck?

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
Andy C turned it, from what I saw. I had a great time.
Martin, thanks again for getting me in :)
Fiona, Toys, Carsley, Rueben, Colin : always good to see ya!
And ~atp gets the GoldStar > thanks for letting me hitch a ride!

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
I have to say that VIRAM was one of the worst DnB I've ever been to. And I was really looking forward to it. I didn't know about the battle with the T.O-Island residents...but then Destiny/Projek and Docks shouldn't advertise their sound-system if they're going to turn it down.

The venue sounded like garbage.

Also, the flyer LIED about the NextLevel lounge...they made it sound like it would be open for everyone--but in reality it was "VIP Only". That was such bullshit. I was really looking forward to going up there, cuz I loved it at Freedom in May 2005.

Another Beef: NONE of the dancefloor bars were serving alcohol, only that cramped section in the other room. However, that room had excellent breaks all night long--that was my favorite part of this sucky party.

Projek is new right? Started up this summer at Republik, if I'm not mistaken. I've had bad experiences with all their parties. Still undecided about Destiny, although VIRAM really, really F'd up my perception of them.

Theory, on the other has never dissapointed me. I find their parties are always consistently excellent: thoughtful line-ups, great crowd, excellent sound, excellent vibe. As for the venue, my opinion of the Guv has been improving, because Koolhaus is becoming one of my favorite venues, especially after the tragic and senseless loss of System Soundbar--which was the best sounding club ever. I also think the Orange is great!

That said, I'm totally looking forward to Roni Size + Skibbadee + Armani at KH/Orange on Friday. I expect Theory to blow Destiny/Projek away once again. In fact, I was so dissapointed with VIRAM that I was telling ~ATP~ that I wanted to call-out Destiny and have an informal competition between them and Theory...in the spirit of making the scene better (or even better), because honestly, the situation at VIRAM was unacceptable.

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
All of you should quit yer bitchin. we are lucky we have the opportunity to go see these artists, while many in this country do not.
also if you INSIST on getting your drink on on the dancefloor, don't hit the ALL AGES EVENTS! That is all.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Since the Docks ongoing issue with sound due to battles with Island residents has been pretty high profile for the longest time, I find it slightly difficult to digest some of the complaints in this thread. At the same time, DnB without a critical-mass level of bass is like a BLT without bacon. DnB belongs with a more intimate crowd in my opinion, but props be to Destiny for putting this one on regardless. There was a demand, and they met it.

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
I had a good time but the sound is most def an issue no matter which way you slice it. At the same time the packed dancefloor looked like it did not mind.

Still, it is a little weird. Like, there is no bass.

It's weird to put on dance events in a venue in which there is no 'real' bass.

At the same time, there are not too many places to throw things of this size.

Still, like, there is no bass in the main room.

It's a point that needs to be recognized.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Glad I skipped this one. I put the sound issues sqaurely on Destiny for choosing to have this event at the Docks, when the sound regulations are well-known. DNB without the B? Sounds like a waste of some amazing talent that could've thrown it down at Republik or something.

mingster

TRIBE Member
speaking of which, doesn't seem like they are throwing big dnb parties at republik anymore. what gives?

that was a nice, new and big venue to enjoy.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
mingster said:
speaking of which, doesn't seem like they are throwing big dnb parties at republik anymore. what gives?

that was a nice, new and big venue to enjoy.
I think they are only throwing them in the summer. They did a one-off on a Wednesday a couple weeks ago AFAIK.

kate

TRIBE Member
Where do you suggest they "choose" to have this party? Have you people been living under a rock for the last 5 years? There ARE NO LARGE VENUES other than the docks and koolhaus to use for a party of that size on a weekend. Nightclubs aren't willing to sacrifice their bread-and-butter friday/saturday night crowds for an all ages party, which in my estimation, wouldn't have been as successful had it been 19+.

To put a lineup like VIRAM in a smaller venue I'd also guarantee wouldn't be financially feasable. To make it even remotely worthwhile it had to be a venue that can fit 1500+++++. How many places on a Friday or Saturday in this city can you think of that would do an all ages event on the weekend?

Gee, oh, off the top of my head....one....Pick your battles about what to complain about-to me they did an absolutely OUTSTANDING job within the limitations of the venue's sound issues.

I'm glad the party happened at all, it was a total success, music was awesome, thank god for the separate drinking area, and thank god for putting Andy on at a reasonable hour. I haven't had that much fun in ages!

Last edited:

FlexdeFunk

TRIBE Member
this is the point..............

jungleboy said:
I had a good time but the sound is most def an issue no matter which way you slice it. At the same time the packed dancefloor looked like it did not mind.

Still, it is a little weird. Like, there is no bass.

It's weird to put on dance events in a venue in which there is no 'real' bass.

At the same time, there are not too many places to throw things of this size.

Still, like, there is no bass in the main room.

It's a point that needs to be recognized.
Thanks man, you totally emphisized what I was saying in the first place. Whatever the reason, you don't go to see these artists on a regular home stereo system, I have all there tracks and I can do that in my studio. What I can't do is have 1200 people over in a huge club -with huge bass. If I was a production company (especially Drum'n'Bass) I would just find another venue, or find another city since Toronto sucks ass for venues (and always has since 2000).

.............and Destiny should know the vibe was fine, so it seems to me as though pretty much everyone was happy, and that's still a good party from the promoters point of veiw, so good work besides the bass restrictions.

Peace!

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
It's all Mel Lastman's fault!:mad: After he and his cronnie Fantino went on there anti-rave media campain, and made it impossible to hold them at any municiple or govt. owned properties. That cut out so many venues that were great for parties!
Worst Docks Disaster: Hallo'ween '99!
OK kids, the bitches on the island are pissed AGAIN, ( among other incidents) so go home NOW! I know it's not even 4am and most people are stranded, but, TOUGH SHIT!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders