• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

derrick carter vs. mark farina!!!

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
how abso-fucking-lutly crazy would it be to say you rocked out to Carter & Farina in Antwerp.....

really now...

how long do you think they'd spin for?

3 hours each maybe?

wow.
 

kilT1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Big Cheese
how abso-fucking-lutly crazy would it be to say you rocked out to Carter & Farina in Antwerp.....

really now...

how long do you think they'd spin for?

3 hours each maybe?

wow.
That's been done already..........

Industry 97/98
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

s1k

TRIBE Member
its vs. so i'm assumin its on 4 turntables. and yeah fukin indusrty had some seroius indusrty sessions, remeber dsqaured. derrick carter and derrick may...sneak and carter was a richual.
 

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Peter & Tyrone opens
Carter vs. Sneak or Farina vs. Carter follows
Honey Dijon destroys the place
Kenny Glasgow closes

THAT'S THE LINEUP I MISS! :(
 

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
am I alone in thinking that derrick carter ain't all that great? I've seen him play so many times over the years and although he's good.. I've seen/heard better... a lot better.
Same for Farina... I've seen him twice and he sucked each time. sloppyness to the max.
 

circle

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
am I alone in thinking that derrick carter ain't all that great? I've seen him play so many times over the years and although he's good.. I've seen/heard better... a lot better.
Same for Farina... I've seen him twice and he sucked each time. sloppyness to the max.
How can you say that??!?!!? Farina? Sloppy? What the hell are you smoking?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

s1k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
am I alone in thinking that derrick carter ain't all that great? I've seen him play so many times over the years and although he's good.. I've seen/heard better... a lot better.
Same for Farina... I've seen him twice and he sucked each time. sloppyness to the max.
u can say you don't like their style, (which will totally make me ignore u and all ur other opinions), but u def can't say their sloppy. dc is known for flawless djin....i say u should check ur perscription.
 

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
am I alone in thinking that derrick carter ain't all that great? I've seen him play so many times over the years and although he's good.. I've seen/heard better... a lot better.
Same for Farina... I've seen him twice and he sucked each time. sloppyness to the max.
Just because it doesn't suit your style, it does not make it "sloppy" in the least. A different style = a different taste. They are legends for a reason.
 

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by circle
How can you say that??!?!!? Farina? Sloppy? What the hell are you smoking?

maybe the problem was that I was sober :p

I like Carter's music for the most part... but again... he's just not that great of a DJ IMO... Don't get me wrong.. I'm not saying he sucks... I think he's good... very good... but he's this god that so many people make him out to be.
 

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
Its a matter of opinion.

No DJ is a god (yes i know probably a shock to many of you)... everyone has good and bad days, everyone screws up and not everyone is going to like what he/she plays.

Sweet_e

P.S. the only DJ that does come close to being a deity is Steve Lawler :D
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Don C

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by s1k
u can say you don't like their style, (which will totally make me ignore u and all ur other opinions), but u def can't say their sloppy. dc is known for flawless djin....i say u should check ur perscription.

Every time I've seen Carter play (Stereo, System) he's been flawless - the man is a surgeon.

I'm also a Farina fan, but I gotta say I was a bit disappointed with that set (underwater) at System last year...it did seem a bit sloppy/off at times.

my 2 cents
 

s1k

TRIBE Member
well it also depends wat ur usin as ur measure. based on technicality, orignality, production skillz., readin the crowd, flawless mixin, difficulty of mixes. imo chicago is fukin incredibly hard to produce, and if u know much about production or ever tried to make ur own music and understand the principles of music production then u'll have totally dif opinion than someone who's heard carter spins once or twice and goes and calls him sloppy. and comparin lawler and carter is apples and oranges, carter bein and orange, is much juicer, more colour, tons of flavour, sure apples are good too hehe

and farina at system sucked IMO, but that was mainly teh shitty sound system cause i saw him at stereo, and god oh god, plus he loves playin at stereo so he put his heart in to it.
 

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweet_e


P.S. the only DJ that does come close to being a deity is Steve Lawler :D
I was going to say "what the hell is wrong with you"... no dj is God... but then I read the PS. LOL ;)
 

circle

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by s1k


and farina at system sucked IMO, but that was mainly teh shitty sound system cause i saw him at stereo, and god oh god, plus he loves playin at stereo so he put his heart in to it.
I wouldn't go as far as saying he sucked. He was in a bad mood due to the flood situation. Wouldn't that dampen your spirits? No pun intended. :D

They are legends and icons, and in my eyes, they can do no wrong.
 

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KillaLadY
I was going to say "what the hell is wrong with you"... no dj is God... but then I read the PS. LOL ;)
all i have to say is June 4th!!!!!

cant wait... if its half as good as the last set it'll still be one of the best sets of the year!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tim patrick

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweet_e
all i have to say is June 4th!!!!!

cant wait... if its half as good as the last set it'll still be one of the best sets of the year!
"Baby make your move..."

ahahaha!
:p
 

AshG

Member
farina and carter are different, fo sho.

both got great programming, technical stills, and incredible tunes.
farina has a great ability to go to some strange and unexpected places in his music, but have it make sense - that and he's got a great ability to make harmonious mixes(sounds like a little dj type quibble, but people just know when mixes sound better, and his almost invariably do).

carter though takes more risks, i'd say, and i award top points for that.
also the only dj i've ever seen beat juggling, with an acapella over top, cueing the next(read 4th) record, and doing shots all at once.

i don't care what kind of music you spin, that's just technical stupidity(in the best way!).
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top