1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Depression & Men

Discussion in 'Guys Stuff Forum' started by Bernnie Federko, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Always a fascinating topic: The chemical balance of the human body. Specifically in this case when an imbalance occurs to the human male.

By Chris Zelkovich Sports Media Columnist

Michael Landsberg has made a career out of asking tough questions on TSN.

Now he wants to make a statement.

The peripatetic Off The Record host is planning a special this summer in hopes of shining a light on a problem that plagues a lot men: Depression.

It's a subject near to Landsberg's heart. He's been battling depression for more than a decade and wants to make a difference for others.

``The message I want to get out is that it's okay for men to talk about it," he says. ``Men just don't feel that they have the licence to admit it.

``The biggest problem with depression is that people tend to blame themselves for it. You would never hide from somebody that you'd just got back to work after an appendectomy. Nobody's going to think that's your fault or a sign of weakness."

Landsberg and OTR executive producer Ken Volden got the inspiration for the special a few months back when former NHLer Stephane Richer appeared on the show.

Landsberg and Richer talked about their struggles with depression, an unusual chat that prompted about 30 emails from fellow sufferers.

``They were all from men," Landsberg says, ``all saying they had been embarrassed to talk about their depression because people say men shouldn't do that."

Landsberg wrote back to every one.

``I realized that I was making a difference," he says. ``I'd like to do more."

The OTR staff are looking for high-profile figures from the sports world to talk about depression and make men realize that it's a common, treatable condition.

There are plenty available, from Ron Ellis to Terry Bradshaw.

While hyperactivity seems more suited to Landsberg's energetic style, he has battled depression on and off for more than a decade.

It's not a condition to be taken lightly.

``If you're really depressed you have no quality of life," he says. ``You have good things that happen to you and they don't make you feel good. It dominates every aspect of your life."

Landsberg has been through what experts call the typical depression cycle.

Anti-depressants made him feel better and eventually he decided he didn't need the medication.

Big mistake.

It came back with a vengeance at the 2008 Grey Cup in Montreal.

``It literally hurt every cell in my body to talk," he recalls. ``That was the bottom out for me."

He went back on medication and expects to stay there.

The special, scheduled for July 2, may be one of several issues-related shows for OTR.

``I'd love to see us to get the opportunity to do more issues and there was one staring us in the face," says TSN executive producer Ken Volden. ``It feels like the right thing to do.

``We see this as a start."

Zelkovich: Depression not off record for TSN's Landsberg - thestar.com

baconpan

2. possibledj

possibledj TRIBE Promoter

take it to the girl stuff forum.

3. Bernnie Federko

it's ok that you want to cry little man. we all know your feelings can be a tough thing to think about. hopefully one day you'll grow up and be able to express them without being totally insecure.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

Eat an orange.

5. toney

toney TRIBE Member

He should have more plastic surgery to help him out w/ that depression.

6. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Serious topic, but I still LOLed.

7. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

Men don't get depressed

they watch television and flip channels

8. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

for Bernnie...
    [​IMG]
    not so depressed now, are you ?

9. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

sunshine is depressing. all those sad little uv rays and nobody wants them

10. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

m'eh, I've been around men who, for whatever reasons, are somewhat depressed (and therefore depressing). Once they get the impression that you may be *sympatique* and a *good listener*, they get all super-earnest and needy, and constantly try to validate their crapped-out sentiments, and sometimes follow you around like a little puppy. I'd prefer they remain insecure and bottle it all up and perhaps end up in a mental institution. I mean, shit man, even chicks hate a super-earnest needy guy being pathetic and lamenty.

11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i thought our break-up was mutual.

12. Bernnie Federko

I was having a conversation at the gym the day after reading the piece in the Star with someone who is diagnosed Manic/Bi Polar. One of topics was the stigma which is associated with men who discuss Depression. It was no surprise that the reaction this thread received was a dismissive/belittling one b/c some people don't know how to handle the basics of merely talking about it.

13. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

not sure if i would discuss a personal problem as serious as depression on an internet message board, let alone with people i don't know. i think that's problem number one on a long list....

14. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

There's no credible evidence that demonstrates that a chemical imbalance is the cause of any psychological condition. None.

Skip the bullshit and go straight to the work of Martin Seligman and the concept of Learned Helplessness

15. Bernnie Federko

Ever been around a woman who menstruates, Saskboy?

16. Bernnie Federko

Or maybe you haven't experienced puberty?

17. Bernnie Federko

How come?

18. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Hmm, ever read "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen?
    I always leaned towards the "no cause" side, until someone in my extended family really lost it (not depression) and is now able to function "normally" (what normal is, is a whole other discussion) on meds.
    Much as I hate to admit it, they have balanced her out, and when she's slacked off from taking them (as has happened several times over the years, she's slowly unravelled again.

19. Bernnie Federko

bi polar (or manic depression as it used to be labeled) is in part a chemical imbalance. No doubt.

BI POLAR

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  20. Bernnie Federko

^^The Corrections is a good story.

21. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

The only problem with that is that EGo fucks and shitsu magazine cover bitches use the "I don't give a fuck mentality" so they can justify what they do when their guilty of being malicious, insensitive and cruel. To suit their own needs regardless of what consequences occur. A good example of that would be peoples complacency towards the affect of automobiles on the environment, that lasted as long as it took for actual damage to occur. Only then did fear insight change. Clowns all over the place..clowns

Radical thinking!!!! Actually all you have to do is be proactive.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  22. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

Your wrong. Absolutely, totally, utterly wrong. Sorry.

A scientific causal relationship has never been proven. Besides it's logically impossible to do so.

Instead of quoting form the CAMH website, an institution that was formerly called the Clarke Institute. Clarke believed that mental illness had racial basis. He was worried that Italians were going pollute the Anglo gene pool. You know with their waving hands while talking and mouths full of spaghetti and swarthy complexions.

Check out the work of Peter Breggin. Especially his book Toxic Psychiatry

23. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

You're wrong. Sorry.

A scientific causal relationship has never been proven. Besides it's logically impossible to do so.

Instead of quoting form the CAMH website, an institution that was formerly called the Clarke Institute. Clarke believed that mental illness had racial basis. He was worried that Italians were going pollute the Anglo gene pool. You know with their waving hands while talking and mouths full of spaghetti and swarthy complexions.

Check out the work of Peter Breggin. Especially his book Toxic Psychiatry

24. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

25. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

TOXIC PSYCHIATRY quotes