• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Depeche Mode fans

diablo

TRIBE Member
Is "Policy Of Truth" a criticism of selfishness (a la "Everything Counts") or simply a reflection of selfishness during the band's heroin phase?

s1k

TRIBE Member
on another note...i picked up this 3 cd comp called depeche mode remixes 84-2004. there are alot of bad tracks, but every CD has 3-4 AMAZING wicked tracks. must have, my current fav, get the balance right (pump mix), amazing.

billy

TRIBE Member
ya i would have to say teen pregnancy.

-it's too late to change events. it's time to face the consequence, when DELIVERING the proof...

btw: they dave didn't get into heroin until the devotional album, which was four years after violator.

Originally posted by s1k
on another note...i picked up this 3 cd comp called depeche mode remixes 84-2004. there are alot of bad tracks, but every CD has 3-4 AMAZING wicked tracks. must have, my current fav, get the balance right (pump mix), amazing.
While there are some absolutely great tracks on there, there are some remixes that are sorely missed (at least I think so). The Orb's housey remix of Happiest Girl, World in My Eyes - The Oil Tank Mix (I think they only have the Mode to Joy mix), and I would have loved to have seen a collection of their b-sides (ie. Dangerous, Sea of Sin, Kalied, My Joy) as well as their non-lyric techno side of their work. They've done so many great tracks, but there are some on that comp that really make me wonder who selected them.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by s1k

I like the Goldfrapp one. Some of the remixes sound like the original too. weird.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
I want somebody to share
share the rest of my life
share my inner most thoughts
know my intimate details.
Someone who will stand by my side....

jeremy -somebody- jive

thom100

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by smack
They're in the studio working on a new album
are you sure about that?

do you have any links to the info?

the only reason I ask is because the tiff between martin and dave seemed pretty unresolvable.

billy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by thom100
are you sure about that?

do you have any links to the info?

the only reason I ask is because the tiff between martin and dave seemed pretty unresolvable.
They are most definitely in the studio. Check www.depechemode.com for evidence of it, including photos. Can't get more proof than that. There is also an announcement coming up in 3 days. Not sure what it's about but have to assume that it's about the new album.

billy

TRIBE Member
just wondering..what "tiff" are you talking about? is it the general problems they had or are you speaking of one certain instance?

thom100

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by billy
just wondering..what "tiff" are you talking about? is it the general problems they had or are you speaking of one certain instance?
it was dave getting all upset about the song writing duties of the band. He was going to quite the band if he didn't get more of his writing involved.
which is funny because martin has written 95% of dp songs from the get go.

I'll see if I can find any of the articles.

from nme.com

GAHAN GAHAN GONE?

DEPECHE MODE frontman DAVE GAHAN says he will leave the band if he isn't given a bigger songwriting role.
The star, who has just released his acclaimed debut solo album 'Paper Monsters', said bandmate Martin Gore, who is Depeche Mode' songwriter, has got to be a little more democratic if the band are to have a future. The band's last studio album, 'Exciter', was released in 2001.

Gahan told Spiegel magazine: "Whether there is a future for Depeche Mode very much depends on whether Martin is willing and open enough to change. All I know is it won't be going on as it was, I want to be involved more in working on new songs."

Gahan insisted self-doubt had stopped him from sticking up for himself more.

He added: "I didn't have enough confidence, and where should I have taken it from? After all, Martin Gore is the creative head of Depeche Mode. I was just the singer."

"Martin sometimes even told me how to sing certain passages. I often felt like an instrument being used by others."

Gahan plays Glastonbury's Other Stage on June 29 and appears at the Move Festival in Manchester on July 12.

Last edited:

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeremy Jive
I want somebody to share
share the rest of my life
share my inner most thoughts
know my intimate details.
Someone who will stand by my side....

jeremy -somebody- jive

you're such a fagbot.

billy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by thom100
it was dave getting all upset about the song writing duties of the band. He was going to quite the band if he didn't get more of his writing involved.
which is funny because martin has written 95% of dp songs from the get go.

I'll see if I can find any of the articles.

from nme.com

looks like that was from at least a year ago. ya, dave has been a bit pushy about his songwriting. i didn't know he was getting that heavy about it though. sure, he wrote an album but martin has penned HUNDREDS of songs. his songs ARE the band. Dave already got what he wanted with the devotional and exciter albums - a tougher sound, which scared martin a bit.

anyway, i guess they have figured this out or martin choked and let him do a few songs. paper monsters was an ok album but not great so i hope his writing (if any) on the new DM album is shared with martin and not just dave on his own.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
I thought Alan Wlider wrote a lot of the songs back in the day too.
Alan Wilder was the real musician in the group.

If Gore writes so well, why do his solo albums stink so bad?