• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dentistry pain is overrated

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
So, this being my first proper filling, I was nervous because of the horror stories. And you know what? Painless. Easier than a cleaning.

Heck, even the needle.. the Dr. didn't even tell me and I didn't know until I tasted the anesthetic pool at the bottom of my throat. As for the drill, my electric toothbrush gives off more sensation and more noise.

I'm shocked at how painless this was. Anyone who's ever complained about the drill is a wuss.

Stop Bill C-10

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I had my first filling back in December and I agree with you 100%. I in all honesty find the cleaning more of a pain in the ass than a filling. In some ways its fun because of the numbness afterwards.

My dentist has a little trick for needles so I never know if the needle is done or not until I go numb. Smooth operators

Primavera

TRIBE Member
In the last 8 years had 4 root canals done, 3 crowns, and a few fillings and generally - I agree. Needless to say I now have 4 cleanings a year and take much better care of my teeth.

If you have a good dentists and good hygenists, it should be fairly painless. Uncomfortable yes. But painful, I found getting my wisdom teeth removed far more painful than I found getting 4 root canals done.

The injections don't hurt, your mouth get frozen, if there is still pain during the procedure you ask them to freeze you more. Simple. Open wide, put on the sunglasses they have available so you can shut your eyes and just let them get to work.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
You don't feel the needle because good dentists use a topical anesthetic to freeze the gum first before inserting the needle.

I take triple the amount of freezing most people do. I did not learn this until I was in my 30s. I grew up thinking that freezing was only supposed to numb the pain. I've felt a drill on nerve, not enjoyable.

I've also had stitches on a severe cut done with 1/3 the freezing I should have had. I could feel the whole thing.

I suspect there are other people out there who aren't getting enough freezing during their dental work and that's why they complain.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Evidence-Based Dentistry - Abstract of article: Weak, unreliable evidence suggests flossing plus toothbrushing may be associated with a small reduction in plaque

flossing is overrated

but you know, just try tellin the sheeple about the lobbying arm of Big Floss and their eyes glaze over

I have to disagree with you based on personal evidence...I had bleeding gums when I brushed and my dental hygienist said to floss...after flossing, the has bleeding stopped...I was shocked at the stuff coming out from between my teeth!

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I find flossing dislodges rather large food chunks that would otherwise sit there and fester.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Fillings are relatively painless.

But root canals have the potential to be pretty painful regardless of how much freezing they put in.

Maybe it varies by person but I assume that people's nerves are not all in the same identical spots and while the dentist can do a "best guess" at freezing it doesn't guarantee that everything deep down in there is unresponsive.

Like, for my one root canal, he froze me until the whole side of my face and even nose was numb, and the drilling portion did not hurt, but when it came to scraping the nerves out of the bottom of those roots, it felt like strong zaps of electricity every time the metal hit somewhere deep in there. The dentist said there was nothing more to freeze and he'd just try to be quick about it.

-jM
A&D

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
but when it came to scraping the nerves out of the bottom of those roots, it felt like strong zaps of electricity every time the metal hit somewhere deep in there. The dentist said there was nothing more to freeze and he'd just try to be quick about it.

-jM
A&D

I got the same sensation reading that as I would listening to nails on a chalk board.

Deus

TRIBE Member
Evidence-Based Dentistry - Abstract of article: Weak, unreliable evidence suggests flossing plus toothbrushing may be associated with a small reduction in plaque

flossing is overrated

but you know, just try tellin the sheeple about the lobbying arm of Big Floss and their eyes glaze over

Same study: "Flossing plus toothbrushing showed a statistically significant benefit compared to toothbrushing in reducing gingivitis."

For me this is why I keep flossing. If I stop flossing I'll have bad breath within a month.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Some people are WAY more sensitive to oral pain, this is subjective and to tell someone else that takes 2-3 injected anesthetic cartridges to numb them out enough to have a root canal that they could barely sit through without white knuckling it the entire time, is dismissive and ignorant.

even fillings for me require there to be significant anesthetic as the sensitivity when the drill hits the tooth is still quite palpable.

i generally have a decent pain threshold but when it comes to dentistry, the sensitivity is ' quite high ' as per my dentist, comparatively to the majority of his patients.

Last edited:

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Who has a gum graft anf how painful is it? On my last visit they were advising me that I will require one and it sounds painful...

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Who has a gum graft anf how painful is it? On my last visit they were advising me that I will require one and it sounds painful...

If it's what I am getting done, they are taking skin from the roof of my mouth and putting on my gums. They say I will have a hole in the roof of my mouth for about a week and it the roof of your mouth will feel like it was burnt by pizza.

Speaking of dentistry. My old dentist pulled out the wrong tooth, put it back in again and then took it out 3 days later as the roots were starting to take again. Oh, and he forgot to freeze. Most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. Needless to say, he is no longer my dentist.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
It was this guy wasn't it:

little-shop-of-horrors.jpg