• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Demf 2002?

Originally posted by tEkKiD
Who gives a fuck about Atkins,Saunderson,Angel,Shadow or whatever weak ass dj you want or don't want to see play at DEMF? I can't believe in this "so-called" techno forum not one of you bothered to mention the fact that STEVE "MUTHAFUCKIN'" RACHMAD is on the bill,he alone is worth the gas,food,lodging expenses...for shame,for shame...

Damn straight.

Steve Rachmad is legendary and rightuflly so.

Give that man a tallboy!

dave

Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
If anyone going to Motown for this has room in a car and a hotel room they want to share, lemme know. I'm so into this.

If all else fails, I'll split a greyhound companion fare with you.
2 for 1.. works out to $60 each.

DEEPCHORD LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said they have AMAZING records!!! and it will be a VERY rare chance to hear the deepchord label LIVE!!!!!!

IM SO SO SO SO SO SO THERE!

optik

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
Tronic treats you good...

2 after parties that have been released elsewhere- if my memory serves me correctly:

Tronic Treatment and Dj Punisher and others present 2 after-parties.

1) w./ Marco Carola + others, I forget - F.E.O.S. (Germany)

2) Mis(stress) Barbara, Advent- smaller more intimate.
I am DEFINATELY looking forward to this one!:eek:

-Amanda

Alright I want to go...but this means I actually have to get a fake id again! I still got 4 more months before I'm legal in the states!

D'oh. So now I need an ID, a ride, and all that shit...any takers? ;)

*sigh*

to each their own i guess...but personally,

Steve Rachmad
Mike Grant
Mad Professor(live)
Jon Tejada
Black Eyed Peas
Bryan Zentz
Eddie Fowlkes
Mike Dearborn
George Clinton
Dave Clarke
Kelli Hand
Advent( Live)
Dwayne Jensen

Those are 13 good reasons as to why I would want to check it out. And the rest of the names i simply haven't heard of, which doesn't mean that they aren't good. I mean Detroit is a fucking warfare zone for techno djs... either you're good or you don't get to play out. Which probably means that every local on that lineup knows how to rock a party.

Also, the afterparties are sick. Like Technocratic girl mentioned (hi amanda! :)) the Tronic treatment sessions are sick this year... i forget the exact lineup. Plus I know that Adam Beyer is in town that weekend... another dj i want to see.

PLUS its fucking Detroit man. I have yet to make my 'Hajj' to the spiritual birthplace of techno, and this festival provides as good of a time as any to go. Just taking a tour of the city and seeing the UR recording place, the Metroplex room/Subbmerge headquarters would be phat.

BTW, if none of you are familiar with Dwayne Jensen.. he fucking owns. Check out his set on www.groovetech.com, its one of the two sets archived in Submerge's show.

peace,
Rob

Don't u guys realize why all these big names are backing out, the party is being boycotted because the person who started the event got out-politicked and fired? They didn't even book Carl Craig, the guy who started it all.

Yes, Mike Huckaby is doing the bookings, but who is running the show, corporate fucking America…now, I understand that we need corporate cash to fund big events, but that doesn't mean, they get to call all the shots. I am having my doubts about attending this year.

Re: Tronic treats you good...

Originally posted by Technocratic Girl
2 after parties that have been released elsewhere- if my memory serves me correctly:

Tronic Treatment and Dj Punisher and others present 2 after-parties.

1) w./ Marco Carola + others, I forget - F.E.O.S. (Germany)

2) Mis(stress) Barbara, Advent- smaller more intimate.
I am DEFINATELY looking forward to this one!:eek:

-Amanda

Sunday, May 26th 2002 - Porter Street Station, 1400 Porter St.
Detroit
Tronic Treatment
Advent, Steve Rachmad, Pascal FEOS, Misstress Barbara, Bryan
Zentz. price TBC, 10-late

Monday, May 27th 2002 - Porter Street Station, 1400 Porter St.
Detroit
Tronic Treatment
Adam Beyer, Marco Carola, Christian Smith, John Selway, Punisher.
price TBC, 10-late.

Originally posted by Tech_Head_Rob
Also, the afterparties are sick. Like Technocratic girl mentioned (hi amanda! :)) the Tronic treatment sessions are sick this year... i forget the exact lineup. Plus I know that Adam Beyer is in town that weekend... another dj i want to see.

peace,
Rob

Bonjour!
ROB...
Thanks for saying HI... :)
Are you going to DEMF?
I'll be there ( I think)
I'll go to Tronic Treatment and a few other after parties too...

A good site for afterparty info at the DEMF: www.technotourist.org

Are u in Ottawa or MTL now?
I'm home in T-dot for the summer...

BAH_ I Can't ignore the comments about Corporate America running shit- and festivals. It is upsetting. I just don't have enough info. about the Carl Craig incident...
Would he have been able to ensure that the fest. would be more 'underground' and have more integrity- with fewer corporate sponsors? Was that his mandate?

I've noticed that in only a select and specific context in certain organizations is there truly a congruence with anti-corporate and high art/music (techno).

Now, I think a lot of what goes on is not truly in the DIY anti-corporate spirit...

I think that this movement is important- but I wasn't aware that DEMF was ever like that.- I don't know enough to say...

I am still going. I will sign petitions and do my bit to say NO to the de-valuation of art and culture with anti-corporate integrity.

...Ciao 4 now...
-Amanda

BAH_ I Can't ignore the comments about Corporate America running shit- and festivals. It is upsetting. I just don't have enough info. about the Carl Craig incident...
Would he have been able to ensure that the fest. would be more 'underground' and have more integrity- with fewer corporate sponsors? Was that his mandate?

I've noticed that in only a select and specific context in certain organizations is there truly a congruence with anti-corporate and high art/music (techno).

Now, I think a lot of what goes on is not truly in the DIY anti-corporate spirit...

I think that this movement is important- but I wasn't aware that DEMF was ever like that.- I don't know enough to say...

I am still going. I will sign petitions and do my bit to say NO to the de-valuation of art and culture with anti-corporate integrity.

...Ciao 4 now...
-Amanda

Although, not a bona-fide corporation, Ministry of Sound is apparently now a sponsor

Maybe one of the reasons the line-up got changed is because of Carl Craig.
Remember how he got screwed over by the festival last year and people were wearing those stickers to support him.
You maybe seeing a silent boycott by artists this year, I'm pretty sure thats why none of the Detroit Crew is there.

Originally posted by The Truth

Although, not a bona-fide corporation, Ministry of Sound is apparently now a sponsor

As if the Ministry of Cheese is sponsoring DEMF :rolleyes:

Aren't I glad I'm going to Mutek instead.

I'll probably go to both...
they both have something to offer. Different things...
As for the silent boycott in Detroit... I am mainly going to see friends and hear some good music.
I'd like to be more informed about the politics- but, I am going- I will voice my opinions if they're strong enough- if I see stuff I don't like- which I am sure i will- corporate sponsors galore...

But hey... (I wasn't at IDance this year- so I can't say for sure)
There were huge X-box sponsor logos covering it...
right?
PLUS- I go to a school (McGill) that was sponsored during frosh week by Molson (beer) and that was bad, I tried to sit on the beach on a flag I ripped from a banner- made of plastic!- Garbage, and was told not to do so. Since the advertisers/sponsors- Molson paid to see a certain # of ads up!

BOO... that's a loss of public space. festivals should be what ppl make them... not ads, but i guess that is an easier way to get funds to host such events...

so ya- I hope to go to MUTEK as well... the SAT is a great space and I got to see lots of the MTL djs this year... GO Canada!
patriotism roxxx :rolleyes:

Originally posted by m..m

As if the Ministry of Cheese is sponsoring DEMF :rolleyes:

Aren't I glad I'm going to Mutek instead.

From www.ministryofsound.com

MINISTRY OF SOUND WILL SPONSOR THE 2002 DETROIT ELECTRONIC MUSIC FESTIVAL
World's largest free electronic music festival coming soon

Ministry of Sound is pleased to announce that it will be sponsoring this year's Detroit Electronic Music Festival taking place at the beautiful waterfront Hart Plaza on May 25-27th in Detroit Michigan USA.

Already in its third year, the annual event has achieved a reputation for excellence as the world¹s largest free-of-charge electronic music festival and will be hosted this Memorial Day weekend May 25 - 27, from noon to midnight each day in Hart Plaza along the city¹s riverfront.

In 2001 the event was a brilliant success. Over 1 million people made their way to dance together in the heart of the city for one great party making it an unprecedented free-of-charge celebration of electronic dance music in the city of the music¹s origin. Now, the largest music event in history promises to achieve yet a new level of excellence and excitement, Ministry of Sound will be at the heart of the event.

Over 70 performances are being featured at this year¹s festival including: Dave Clarke; Green Velvet; DJ Zapp; Mad Professor; DJ Krust; George Clinton; Kenny Dope; Blake Baxter; Dilated Peoples; Paul Johnson; Aux Men Featuring A Number Of Namesand Techno founders Juan Atkins and Eddie Fowlkes.

The Detroit Electronic Music Festival 2002 is operated by Pop Culture Media, a Detroit based media, marketing and major event production company, which specializes in art, music, fashion and popular interests.

"This event is far more than the greatest party and music event in the world," said Pop Culture Media President and festival founder Carol Marvin. "It is like heaven on earth -- over one million people of every age, race, style and lifestyle dance together in the heart of our city. What vision could possibly be more beautiful? It¹s the people that make an event a real celebration, and our crowd consists of some of the most forward-thinking, accepting and connected people on the planet. More than anything they make the festival what it is, and it is our goal this year to give them another wonderful experience and memory in Detroit."

Anyone know if that "All Excess" card being sold on the DEMF website is worth getting? What exactly do you get for it? Has there been something like that in past years?

passes/access

Well...

I know last year there were several types of press passes and levels of access to VIP areas. Some were restricted by date and time of interviews w./ certain artists, and others (for djs/staff/etc) were unlimited/full access... There were several tents for media, and a backstage area- w./ free energy drinks and alcohol (I forget what)!

And...umm, I am pretty sure they didn't sell any passes last year- it was just for press ppl, and djs, promoters, and ppl directly involved in the festival (+ those who were abel to "sneak" in!)

I think this year- the one that they're selling is not going to be unlimited access, I guess it'll be restricted and there will still be various levels of the other passes given.

Re: passes/access

I know last year there were several types of press passes and levels of access to VIP areas.promoters, and ppl directly involved in the festival (+ those who were abel to "sneak" in!)

I had a Photo/Film pass last year..
I got three fifteen-minute slots to stand in the main stage media area. I had to go every day, tell them what time slots I wanted and they issued a sticky fabric pass.
They never even told me about the free drinks/food :(
I learned about that later :(

I think the pass you can buy this year just gets you into a "people who paid money to stand closer" area.