• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Demarcation point (so much fun!)

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
My landlord has DSL Basic Lite through Bell.

I just recently signed up for High Speed DSL with a 3rd party, but obviously they are renting the line through Bell.

Stop me when I'm wrong please....

There is a dual line coming into the house, the demarcation point is in the furnace room. (So old school!) I think Bell screwed up and flicked a switch at the CO for his line. Is that possible? Can they give full high speed DSL on the line and then limit it with a special Basic Lite modem or special access on the account? Which would mean that if I'm connected, I shouldn't be getting such a shitty connection speed (which I am) Is there any way I can check?

And how do I get Bell to send a tech out without having to pay ??? hlp. f*cking Bell.

blueshrike

TRIBE Member
You can't get Bell to send a tech out without paying for it unless there is a problem on the Bell side of the demarcation point.

The most likely cause of slow speeds is either the shitty wiring in your house or an incorrect configuration in the Bell systems.

Remember that if you are downloading and you are receiving more than 128 Kilobits per second (Kbps) or 16 Kilobytes per second (KBps) then you are downloading faster than the caps placed on a DSL Basic Lite account. Which disproves your theory. I would go to an internet speed test and measure the speed of downloads a few times over the course of a day or two to see.

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Option 1:

If you call up tech support, they should be able to get Bell to examine your modem and see if it has good signal. At least they can do it for sympatico users. Maybe they won't if you are a 3rd party customer.

Depending on the modem, you might be able to do it yourself. Search for the modem on google. Usually these modems serve a web page that shows stats about the physical medium.

I have the speedstream 5200 and its possible to do (though I haven't yet). However, bear in mind, that you generally have to connect to the modem directly and not through a router to access this information.

Option 2:

If you know anything about wiring, you can wire a phone jack to the terminal for your line at the demarcation point. Plug your modem into there and hook a PC up to it via ethernet.

If you get good speed there, then you know that the problem is shitty wiring in the house.

If you don't get good speed there, then it could be that you did a bad job wiring the phone jack or that there is something wrong with the Bell side of the demarcation point or that there is something wrong with your equipment (i.e. modem). But at least you are one step further.

Option 3

Get a friend who knows what he is doing to come over and take a look. Offer to feed him pizza and beer. I recommend that any green be consumed after the problem is fixed.

Originally posted by adorablehomeboy
My landlord has DSL Basic Lite through Bell.

I just recently signed up for High Speed DSL with a 3rd party, but obviously they are renting the line through Bell.

Stop me when I'm wrong please....

There is a dual line coming into the house, the demarcation point is in the furnace room. (So old school!) I think Bell screwed up and flicked a switch at the CO for his line. Is that possible? Can they give full high speed DSL on the line and then limit it with a special Basic Lite modem or special access on the account? Which would mean that if I'm connected, I shouldn't be getting such a shitty connection speed (which I am) Is there any way I can check?

And how do I get Bell to send a tech out without having to pay ??? hlp. f*cking Bell.