• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Deep - I have aquestion for you

slingshot

TRIBE Member
I know that you are a bit of a computer guy - what exactly does the msngr.exe file do in my computer?

Anyone else know?

ss

zoo

TRIBE Member
it's something you can not allow internet access if you want it and your computer will run fine

deep

TRIBE Member
It's a built in messenger for the operating system. It's used on networks for administrators to send messages across the network to users. The problem is that it can be exploited by spyware or even virii / worms to do things like display pop up ads (even when you're not using your web browser). What zoo was saying is that you can disable the service altogether and it won't negatively affect your system or anything.

start -> run -> type services.msc -> look for a service called "messenger" , right click and go to properties -> set startup type to disabled

deep

TRIBE Member
Oh, and it bears mentioning that it's not the same thing as MSN (the chat program).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

slingshot

TRIBE Member
Thanks Deep - you da man!

However "messenger" was not listed in my services.
hm..........

ss

p.s. The problem is that I installed a anti-virus software today caleed Freedom. And it keeps producing a window telling me the msngr.exe is "potentially" hazardous and wants me to delete it - but I was not sure what it did - or how to do it.

Last edited:

deep

TRIBE Member
you're welcome :)

I wouldn't delete the file. Reading up quickly on that antivirus software, it's provided by telus right? It's evidently quite buggy and fubared some people's systems. I'd reccomend something more tried and true like norton antivirus. pm me if you've got an msn account or something.