1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

deceptive packaging is the norm

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Mar 22, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I always sort of knew that "two scoops of raisins" was a vague and nebulous indicator for the actual amount of raisins in the box, but I am getting increasing pissed off at the descriptions on some of the stuff I have bought recently. Some of these companies are really stretching the truth.

Europe's Best frozen vegetables on the front, Made in China on the back. I never buy frozen veggies but they were on sale and the big 'Europe's Best' attracted me. I never noticed the Made in China bit until I got them home. They also taste crappy and I will never buy them again.

This morning I was eyeing my Lactania "Country Churned" butter. A nice picture of a stately country home on the box, for sure, but is it really churned in the country? Or is it actually stirred in huge stainless steel vats at some factory in Scarborough? Perhaps I will call their 1-800 number and ask them...

2. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

Made in Scarborough if you're lucky. Assume made in China unless otherwise stated.

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Deceptive Package

[​IMG]

4. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Yeah, deceptive claims piss me off, as well.

"ALL-NATURAL* PUREª FIELD BERRY JUICE"

* pasteurized
    ª from concentrate
    contains juice of grapes, apples, pears, cranberries, carrots, parsley (may contain berries)

5. possibledj

possibledj TRIBE Promoter

also, does that mean you get a worse raisins:bran ratio in larger boxes?

6. artemis

artemis TRIBE Member

There may be two scoops of raisins inside, but they never did say how large those scoop measurements actually are!

7. alexd

may contain berries! WTF!

8. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

"About yay big."

*vague gesture*

I just made up that example LOL

9. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I bought some chorizo yesterday that said "no preservatives' and then clearly marked as the third ingredient was salt.

10. artemis

artemis TRIBE Member

Exactly!

11. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

arguable

12. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

how is that arguable?

13. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

If they added it for flavouring they can argue that it was not added as a preservative. I am not sure if there is a certain concentration for salt to be considered a preservative.

14. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

This.

I mean, you can argue that a package is a preservative!

15. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I'm pretty sure you can't make a dry cured sausage that's safe to eat without salt.

16. Pottsie

Pottsie TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Otto thought that this was "flagrant false advertising"

17. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

Isn't chorizo without any kind of preservative just rotting meat?

18. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

Oh I see it's a sausage...

Then preservatives are probably the least of your worries ;)

19. alexd

i just lol'd and spewed americano on keyboard

20. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

That's all right. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, I discoverd the "no preservatives" tag afterwards. My worries is getting a tasty dinner on the table. :)

21. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Alex, watch the docu "Food Inc" to learned about what a nice picture of a farm on the outside of package really means.

Lobo

22. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

I have an issue with juice marketing as well. I'm pretty sensitive to acidic foods, especially apple juice. The problem is that if I want to buy a berry juice of any sort you have to read the small print because it almost always will contain mostly apple juice. I don't want apple juice I want to drink delicious berries!