1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

decent vet downtown? (that costs less than a rolex)

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by videotronic, Jul 26, 2010.

1. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

my cat has developed some sort of weird hernia-like growth on his belly. i want to take him him in to get looked at, but the vet we have been going to (in the merchandise building on mutual st.) is criminally overpriced.

anyone have a good vet that doesn't nickel and dime you to death, charging you for everything up to and including the oxygen you and the pet breathe while in the office?

thanks

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Which area, there is a guy near us at Donlands and Oconor, and he is decent, and really nice. to get a check up for our 2 cats, and de worming stuff, etc it was like 110 all in for both.

:)

lemme try and find you the info.

[jai]

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Donlands Animal Clinic. (416) 467-9500 413 Donlands Ave, East York, ON

[jai]

4. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

We took our cat to this place for years when we lived in the area. Great friendly vets and not at all over priced.

Bloorcourt Veterinary Clinic Address
    Bloor Street West
    Toronto, ON M6H 1M5
    (416) 537-9677
    http://www.bloorcourtvetclinic.ca/

5. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

6. cabbagetowngirl

cabbagetowngirl TRIBE Member

All 3 of my animals go to Blue Cross Animal Hospital. It's on Danforth, a few stores east of Broadview. It's inexpensive compared to anything else in the downtown core (this isn't downtown per say, but it is close enough). It's not a money grab there, they have total love for all furry creatures!

416-469-1121

Blue Cross Animal Hospital - Toronto

7. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

i've heard the fees at the blue cross animal hospital are pretty reasonable.

8. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

it sounds like it may be a sist/tumor, my beagle has many and the Vet has always told us they are not an issue, she's 12 so i tend to agree.

however it's probably worth your peace of mind.

9. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

its very soft, and he reacts like its tender to touch, which worries me a bit. i am happy to pay $100 to be told its not big deal though, just so i don't worry.

fillmore: we called bloorcourt and if it is in fact a hernia, they quoted us ~$250-$600 less than our ripoff vet did for the operation to fix it...thanks for that man!

10. Pottsie

Pottsie TRIBE Member

A friend of mine is the vet/owner of Queen West and Dundas West Vet clinics (Queen West Animal Hospital and Dundas West Animal Hospital). I am not sure how the prices compare, but I know the quality of care is great. I imagine that Dundas west is a little cheaper.

11. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Another vote for Queen/Dundas West Vets. The pricing is the same for both locations, and you'd be hard pressed to find more caring, wonderful vets.

12. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

is this the Animal Clinic? If so I've been there a few times only because they had the vaccine I was looking for. ( my neighbor suggested them to me) They're good but a bit on the high side. I like their raising tables I don't have to lift my 100lbs dog onto a slippery surface.

For titer testing they want $300 :O A block away from me are only charging $80.

13. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

Downtown Animal clinic, in gaytown.

They are awesome!

14. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

If you're talking about Downtown Animal Hospital on Church, I second that motion. Dr. Surette was the shit when I went there with my decrepit, ageing dog. They even sent me flowers the day after my dog had to be put down. I wish I still lived downtown so I could still go there.

15. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

so the little monster went to his appt this afternoon, and the doc is calling it a reaction to his last round of shots, which were about a week ago.

he had two at once, one of them rabies, and the doc says that sometimes a deposit can build up as the body tries to fight the vaccinations etc.

thanks all for the reccos...i will definitely check out the bloor and village ones, as they are the two closest

thanks again

16. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

a bit late but I have taken my cat to Dundas Euclid animal hospital for nearly 10 years since they opened. Dr. Barrriantos is my vet. He recomends treatments (ie. dental) but doesn't make you feel all guilty and crap if you don't do it for say financial reasons.

Dundas Euclid Animal Hospital | Vet Clinic | Toronto - Canada

17. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

one more vote for them.

18. Musical Rush

punch him or her in the face for me please!!! You aren't suppose to do the rabies on the same visit as the other shots, you're suppose give the rabies shot at least 3-4 weeks apart. This is proof why.

19. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

link please?

nevermind, found it

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  20. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i am going to do some more research about this and maybe have to go lose my mind at that clinic

21. Musical Rush

Yeah... Dr. Ron Schultz and Dr Jean Dodds info, are my 2 animal bibles.

22. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

unbelievable how that vet did that...both shots.
    what a nimrod.

23. Musical Rush

24. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

It wasn't much long ago that if you insisted on getting the rabies shot every other year, you were considered by a lot of vets to be a 'horrible' parent.

25. Musical Rush

I've even read some of the labels on rabies vaccines can be misleading the 1 year shot would have the 3 year label on it or the 3 year would have the 1 year label on it.. It's the same vaccine they're all 3 year,,now with this study going on Dr. Ron Schultz is out to prove the actual duration of the rabies shot is 7 years . Not this 3 year or 1 year BS.

here's a huge read

What Everyone Needs to Know About Canine Vaccines