• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

December 6th 1989.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Rather than recycle one of the three other threads...

On December 6th I choose to remember the 14 women.

Michele Richard, 21
Helene Colgan, 23
Nathalie Croteau, 23
Maryse Leclair, 23
Sonia Pelletier, 23
Annie Turcotte, 21
Maryse Laganiere, 25
Barbara Daigneault, 22
Anne-Marie Lemy, 27
Anne-Marie Edward, 21
Maud Haviernick, 29
Anne Saint-Arneault, 23
Genevieve Bergeron, 21
Barbara Maria Kleuznick, 31

...killed by an insane man who should remain nameless. I remember them because this is the day of their death 16 years ago and they died together, and the number is statistically significant, they were fortunate at least in their deaths that the media likes tragedy and they will never be forgotten or ignored. Their deaths have been attached to the issue of violence against women which, literally, their deaths were the result of. While I personally don't compare their psychotic killer to those who beat or kill their wives, sisters, mothers, aunts and grandmothers, it is useful to have a touchpoint for discussion of that horrible truth that exists today as it always has.

Listening to Andy Barrie this morning as he read off the names of the women in Toronto who died at the hands of men in the past year I know that the issue has not yet been resolved and should continually be addressed. The support systems for victims of abuse, whether female, the aged, the young, the disabled or simply just 'different', must be strengthened and perpetuated throughout our communities. Talking is important, action is better. I wrote an email this morning to my MP asking them to continue to recognize the need for action against violence in our country, and to act accordingly. I encourage everyone who reads this to do the same.
 

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I am surprised this year that I havent heard a thing about this rememberance until today. usually there is a whole campaign leading up to Dec 6.
 

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Skipper
I am surprised this year that I havent heard a thing about this rememberance until today. usually there is a whole campaign leading up to Dec 6.
yellow ribbon? Im probably totally wrong, but true, usually there is ads, some PAs etc. Very surprised about this as well now that you have brought this up.
 

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
yellow ribbon? Im probably totally wrong, but true, usually there is ads, some PAs etc. Very surprised about this as well now that you have brought this up.
white ribbon
 

Bean

TRIBE Member
thank you for posting this.

remembering the atrocity that took place on this day 16 years ago is incredibly important.

i was quite surprised that it wasn't mentioned on the news (CBC radio) this morning, and was only briefly mentioned - nestled into a general article about violence against women - in the globe and mail today.

rest is peace.

peace,

sabina
 

acheron

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bean
i was quite surprised that it wasn't mentioned on the news (CBC radio) this morning, and was only briefly mentioned - nestled into a general article about violence against women - in the globe and mail today.
It didn't make the news but Andy Barrie did mention it on Metro Morning, they played two songs relating to violence against women and he read a list of women killed in violence, in Toronto over the past year. They spent about 10 minutes on it... very well done, actually.
 

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I am surprised this year that I havent heard a thing about this rememberance until today. usually there is a whole campaign leading up to Dec 6.
the white ribbon campaign guys are still active, but the media attention on them has pretty much fizzled.

there is a candlelight vigil at philosopher's walk tonight at 6 pm.
 

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
RIP.


It's one thing to hear about it, but for many it touches very close to home. It took my mom 7 years to leave her abusive relationship. And I only found out recently just how bad it was. It took a lot of courage for her to leave and realize that her life was worth more and I hope that more women can find that courage and self worth to want and see that they deserve better. Without that courage there will never be a real understanding of just how many women deal with abuse in their lifetime.

The white ribbon campaign was pretty much forgotten this year and it breaks my heart to think that this problem may soon fade away from public awareness. If you can find one, please wear the white ribbon for every woman you know and every woman you don't in the hopes that they will never have to endure what so many before them have.
 

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
Incredible. Tribe is the first time I heard/thought about this today. It's a shame we are starting to forget.
 

physix

TRIBE Member
and also, let's not forget the guy that tried to help the
victims, but was grief stricken that he couldn't do more, so
eventually took his own life as well.

much respect to him

& rest in peace, ladies of École Polytechnique
 

TribeLurkerGrrl

TRIBE Member
Hard to believe this was sixteen years ago already.

I hear comments sometimes today that make me wonder if there has been any progress since then.

Peace.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by acheron
While I personally don't compare their psychotic killer to those who beat or kill their wives, sisters, mothers, aunts and grandmothers...
Though the "who is worse" debate is almost pointless, I have to point out that a person who chronically abuses someone is causing a helluva lot more pain and suffering over a long period, and what they are doing is--in other than domestic circumstances-- called torture.

Actually, I would say it is worse than torture, for the people they are torturing have no information to give them. It is sadistic behaviour of the worst sort-- against the innocent.

I am not one for anniversaries or remembrances of any sort, since they are in effect saying,"Remember violence against women for this day, and forget about it tomorrow and the rest of the year."


Originally posted by acheron
Talking is important, action is better. I wrote an email this morning to my MP asking them to continue to recognize the need for action against violence in our country, and to act accordingly. I encourage everyone who reads this to do the same.
How?

And another thing-- how about those people who aren't going to vote, go to the polls, grab a ballot and write a little message on it instead?
 

acheron

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: December 6th 1989.

Originally posted by PosTMOd
Though the "who is worse" debate is almost pointless, I have to point out that a person who chronically abuses someone is causing a helluva lot more pain and suffering over a long period, and what they are doing is--in other than domestic circumstances-- called torture.

...blah blah blah...
Sorry were you attempting to contribute in some way?
 
Top