• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dear Mrs. Copps

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
STFU you whiney losing Bitch. Seriously even if there was fraud or what not shut up, she's like a one woman whining show.

Apperently she's going to the police and asking for an investigation now.

Defeated Copps won't go quietly

The former deputy prime minister mulls a formal appeal after losing a nomination.
LOUISE ELLIOTT, CP 2004-03-08 03:50:18

HAMILTON -- The day after her ignoble defeat at the hands of a Paul Martin cabinet minister on her beloved home turf, Sheila Copps was not going quietly. Defiant but calm, the former minister said she's considering a formal challenge to Transport Minister Tony Valeri's nomination win in Hamilton East-Stoney Creek.

"A lot of these people are really hurting and I owe it to them to explore whatever options are available, and if there are no options, well, that's an option, too," said Copps as she entered a Sikh temple in Stoney Creek to thank supporters.

Copps' campaign received its fatal blow late Saturday night the after weeks of frantic scrounging for votes by both sides.

Party sources said Valeri won by just 311 ballots out of a healthy turnout of 5,313 votes cast.

The woman who once called herself "nobody's baby" said her option include a formal appeal to the party and action through the Canada Elections Act.

The political damage was palpable as the once-loyal Liberal foot soldier cast blame on party brass and Prime Minister Paul Martin's inner circle for manipulating the process.

"When the party takes sides, that's a problem," she said. "When the leadership selectively uses the rules to massage an outcome, that's a problem."

Valeri dismissed the insinuation as "rhetoric" from a vanquished street fighter.

He said Copps' claim that 400 of her supporters who had transferred their memberships to the riding had been left off the voting list by officials of the party's provincial wing was a last-ditch attempt to overcome his support.

"I guess if the margin was 500, she'd pick 600 (as the number of missing forms) -- it's nothing more than rhetoric."

At least 500 of his own supporters had been left off the list for the same reason, he said.

Yesterday, another Martin loyalist won a victory over a Jean Chretien-era foe in the weekend's second bitter Liberal nomination battle.

MP Carolyn Parrish, a Martin supporter, beat Steve Mahoney, a former Chretien cabinet minister, yesterday for the nomination in the newly defined riding of Mississauga-Erindale, just west of Toronto.

Their months-long duel was marked by threats of libel lawsuits and get-out-the-vote contests that mired both sides deep in the political muck churned up by changes in electoral boundaries across the country.

Last edited:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't be so quick to judge Copps. She's not been whiney about anything. She may not have much political grace about her but she's done nothing to step outside the boundaries of her duty. It's no doubt that the Martin government is one of the most conservative liberal administrations we've in years. Losing a more left member of the party like Copps is a definite blow to it's supposed centrist or balanced ideology.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Copps lashes out at Martin, contacts RCMP over nomination loss
Tue Mar 9, 5:03 PM ET

ALEXANDER PANETTA

OTTAWA (CP) - Liberal MP Sheila Copps launched a spectacular broadside against her own party Tuesday, calling on the Mounties to investigate what she described as a "massive" fraud meant to oust her from Parliament.

The former cabinet stalwart - in a half-hour diatribe sure to cement her standing as a nemesis to Prime Minister Paul Martin - made it clear she will not fade into retirement following her defeat in Saturday's party nomination battle in Hamilton. Copps said she has instructed her lawyers to inform the RCMP about alleged tampering with her office computers and phone lines during the bitter nomination fight.

She also said she will announce a series of retaliatory measures Wednesday, possibly including an appeal of the vote result.

Copps never suggested Martin was aware of any illegal activity but said he did know about - and did nothing to stop - dirty tricks designed to help Transport Minister Tony Valeri defeat her.

She complained about her supporters being denied entry to the nomination meeting, about their being charged $10 for parking outside while Valeri's were ushered in for free, and said her opponent's campaign broke electoral rules by providing free memberships to supporters.

"It was massive, orchestrated fraud," Copps said outside the House of Commons.

She suggested it was symptomatic of strong-arm tactics used by Martin allies across Canada to push out candidates they didn't want.

"I think it was well planned, well orchestrated and it follows a pattern. And it's not a pattern that's unique to our riding."

Copps's most sensational allegation was about alleged tampering with her office's phone system. She said someone hacked into the system to keep volunteers from driving supporters to the nomination meeting.

"If you called our office in the morning to get a ride, the message you got was, 'Hi, Bob. Please leave a message,' " Copps said.

"There was some activity that was in violation of the Criminal Code . . . getting into people's phone lines, cracking computers, changing the phone message in the morning."

She said she believed the hacking was done by someone who supported Valeri.

Copps's rant underlined the continued rift between the party's old guard under Jean Chretien and the new Martin regime heading into an expected spring election.

"I know there are people in the party who are going to tell me, 'Sheila you should just go away and be silent.'

"But at a certain point the people of Canada deserve the truth and it doesn't make me a bad Liberal because I want the Liberal party to be open and transparent.

"I think the Liberal party has to do some soul-searching here."

Copps said Martin did nothing to correct irregularities and claimed about 1,000 of her supporters were eventually prevented from voting. Official results of the vote haven't been released, but Copps said she lost by about 300 votes.

One member of the new party brass immediately dismissed her claim as sour grapes.

"I thought the time for rhetoric and bombast was over," said Joe Volpe, the political minister responsible for Ontario.

"I think all those that engage in the process (should) accept the outcome of the process. That would be the classy thing to do."

The rift between Copps and Martin deepened after they squared off in a lopsided party leadership contest that ended last fall with a crushing Martin victory.

The prime minister's supporters offered her a diplomatic appointment to give up her seat, but she refused. She declined a similar olive branch from Martin on Monday night. The prime minister tried reaching her on the phone but she never called him back.

"I believed it was to offer me a patronage appointment so I did not speak to him. This is not about me going into diplomatic heaven."

Copps never suggested party brass were aware of any tampering in the nomination process, but she did accuse them of breaking other rules.

She said she told Martin last month that party members had violated the new Canada Elections Act by buying Liberal memberships for Valeri supporters.

She said the Prime Minister's Office told her the information would be turned over to top Ontario organizer Karl Littler.

Copps said she kept correspondence documenting the prime minister's receipt of her complaint.

Aeryanna

TRIBE Member
Okay, we get it you don't like Sheila Copps. They're tons of unflattering articles out there about her. Are you planning to post them all?:rolleyes:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by starr
I can't hear you over the misogyny.
Huh? He doesn't like Copps so he's a misogynst? I don't like Copps, think shes a complete waste of space, does that make me a misogynst too?

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
I wouldn't be so quick to judge Copps. She's not been whiney about anything. She may not have much political grace about her but she's done nothing to step outside the boundaries of her duty. It's no doubt that the Martin government is one of the most conservative liberal administrations we've in years. Losing a more left member of the party like Copps is a definite blow to it's supposed centrist or balanced ideology.
indeed- aren't Chretien supporters pushing to have her back in parliament in order to retain some of his influence?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Huh? He doesn't like Copps so he's a misogynst? I don't like Copps, think shes a complete waste of space, does that make me a misogynst too?
The misogyny of his post isn't entrenched in his dislike for her policies. But whatever, we all personally attack public figures we don't like.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by windowlicker
indeed- aren't Chretien supporters pushing to have her back in parliament in order to retain some of his influence?
I don't know. I know Jack Layton offered her a position in the NDP. Classy of him.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I don't know. I know Jack Layton offered her a position in the NDP. Classy of him.

SMART... She would be very good for the NDP. Both for her strong home support, her chance of actually taking the seat and her personal political stands. She would be a very strong asset for the NDP and I believe a good media sting.

another good NDP move

I didn't like Layton at first, but his backroom is starting to really make me rethink this.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
I don't think Layton is finished persuing Copps either. As Ditto said, she may just win that riding either as an independant or as an NDPer.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
She aims to run in Ottawa South, an urban riding where the Liberal Party candidate is David McGuinty, brother of Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty. NDP strategists say the riding has the largest concentration of Arab-Canadians in the Ottawa-Gatineau region and its population is nearly one-quarter racial minorities.

DOUBLE sting. Not only can the NDP point there finger at anything the liberals say on the case. But they can call into there links to the ontario liberals in that riding.

Economic and media savy.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
I don't think Layton is finished persuing Copps either. As Ditto said, she may just win that riding either as an independant or as an NDPer.
After Sheila lost, he did say that his NDP offer was withdrawn as it wasn't intended to be a consolation prize.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
After Sheila lost, he did say that his NDP offer was withdrawn as it wasn't intended to be a consolation prize.
Interesting. Although I can't see him not pursuing Copps if she runs as an independant. She would be able to help the party as a whole if she were to run under the NDP banner. A good beacon to all the disenfranchised left leaning Liberals.