• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dealing with anxiety?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Alita

TRIBE Member
Wow - I'm in a similar boat as well. Yesterday I had a CRAZY panic attack (or something like that) after dealing with a prof. My chest felt like it was caving and I was shaking, but and the same time I was very restless and I had to keep fighting off tears. I ended up taking a *really* long walk and eventually made my way home kind of shaken.

The first time I ever really experienced anxiety like this was last summer when I thought I failed an exam (but I didn’t)....my heart felt like it was about 3 feet outside of my body, face got hot, hand cold ….and I guess this is the first time I had an "attack". It's pretty bizarro to me though...just cause the whole freaking out thing doesn't really make sense to me...anyway I ended up making an appointment with a councilor on campus today. Because I really want to nip this shit in the bud.

HouseHeadSacha

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
I tried the meds route and it was a really bad idea.

My advice: Stay away from the benzos (ie. Atavan, valium, xanax... basically any drug whose non-brand name ends in "am")
Those are addictive and they'll cause more trouble in the long term.

I disagree. They are "habit-forming" ( its an opiate!) as it says on the pamphlet but they DO help. It is a short term solution but do they ever make you feel RELAXED! Recommended to get "out" of an attack, or if you feel one coming on, or even if you're just feeling too anxious/nervous! (I took clonazepam for a few months, and it worked well.) I remember when I was taking them, I would think to myself, "Why can't I feel like this all the time"? Just so damn chill/laid back/relaxed!---but NOT a headfuck!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HouseHeadSacha
I disagree. They are "habit-forming" ( its an opiate!) as it says on the pamphlet but they DO help. It is a short term solution but do they ever make you feel RELAXED! Recommended to get "out" of an attack, or if you feel one coming on, or even if you're just feeling too anxious/nervous! (I took clonazepam for a few months, and it worked well.) I remember when I was taking them, I would think to myself, "Why can't I feel like this all the time"? Just so damn chill/laid back/relaxed!---but NOT a headfuck!

Benzos are benzos, NOT opiates. Different class of drug all together.

They are addictive, and only meant for short term use. After you take them for a while on a regular basis you will build a tolerance and you will experience withdrawal... classic signs of an addictive substance.

They do work- no argument there. And always remind yourself- anything that works as good as that- they're always a payback and it's a bitch. Take it from someone who has been (is) addicted to both opiates and benzodiazapines. Be careful.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

HouseHeadSacha

TRIBE Member
im sure when i got the prescription for my clonazepam that it s said it was a benzo class of drugs......
i cant remember for sure though....ill check when i get home!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HouseHeadSacha
im sure when i got the prescription for my clonazepam that it s said it was a benzo class of drugs......
i cant remember for sure though....ill check when i get home!

It is... you said opiate though! typo perhaps...

~NurSe JibZ~

TRIBE Member
ya, i guess the drugs aren't for everyone. i have had a bottle of xanax 0.25mg since december and i still have some left outta 20 pills so i guess it works for me. and that is a tiny dose.

the drugs aren't a fix-it for the problem they just manage the symptoms until they are brought under control.

and to rid yourself entirely you need to change your stress response which takes alot of time. i hear behavior modification can work wonders but there is a huge waiting list to find a doc to work with you.

there are tons of sites on the net dedicated to this as well with lots of helpful info. look into it, i have no doubt you will be ok. if you want a dope therapist and live in the downtown toronto area i can recommend mine. she is super cool.
pm me if you want deets.

i eventually hope to come to a place where i no longer need meds...that being said they were my lifeline when i was in a very bad place so i for one will not knock em.

but i'm only one girl
:D

phunkymunky

TRIBE Member
ugh anxiety/panic. i have generalized anxiety disorder. been dealing with it since fall of 2002. it's been the worst thing i've ever gone through. i can't really elaborate on it right now as i need to go to bed. maybe tomorrow. but ya it's been hell and i'm still in hell. about to start a new med. and yes the meds can make things worse but they can also make things better.
ativan was amazing and worked so well when i took it. i had to take it while on vacation last year or i would not have enjoyed my vacation. i've been off work on disability since sept and just returned back and my anxiety is really bad this week.

~NurSe JibZ~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by phunkymunky
ugh anxiety/panic. i have generalized anxiety disorder. been dealing with it since fall of 2002. it's been the worst thing i've ever gone through. i can't really elaborate on it right now as i need to go to bed. maybe tomorrow. but ya it's been hell and i'm still in hell. about to start a new med. and yes the meds can make things worse but they can also make things better.
ativan was amazing and worked so well when i took it. i had to take it while on vacation last year or i would not have enjoyed my vacation. i've been off work on disability since sept and just returned back and my anxiety is really bad this week.

ha, mee tooo!! i am off on 'stress leave' just about to go back. and i'm a lil freaked to be honest.
i'm worried everyone is gonna think i'm some unbalanced crazy girl and i dunno even what to tell them...ah.

take care.

wayne kenoff

TRIBE Member
I think everybody gets anxiety in certain situations. Lately though my anxiety's been minmal but I've noticed the rageahol has picked up. Anyhow, a lot of the same solutions apply for dealing with rage: lots of exercise, good sleep, meditation even. I'm intrigued by this Sedona book, so maybe I'll check it out. Anyhow, in general, I've learned how to put stressful situations in perspective when I catch myself getting worked up. Putting things in perspective used to be more difficult... I guess perspective comes with maturity.

Nevertheless I'm sure the people at work notice my penchant for dropping f-bombs and shouting. I don't usually direct it at individuals and I'm generally respectful so I've maintained a good rep. I bet it even helps since I just got a raise. People associate rage with type A personality/leadership. stupid but true i think.

ALEKSANDRA

TRIBE Member
It might have already been said but i dont feel like reading all the replies.. make sure u find the EXACT root of the problem.. maybe school is just half of it. Relationship? family? money? body? etc..
When I get anxiety I usually get stomach pains and have a hard time eating (want to throw up) and i find hot tea (mint) and heat (heating pad) on my stomach helps the *pain*. Then I get my mind on something else or play with my friends and temporarily feel better =)

fightingskurvy

TRIBE Member
I found that organizing what school work needs to be done and sticking to a plan/list helped me become less overwhelmed when I was in school. Yoga and regular exercise were also helpful.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
From the sounds of this thread a lot of people get anxiety worse than me.

I know my tendency... I don't deal with stress well, it is what usually will lead me into an attack which in turn can lead to a breakdown of some sort... Anxiety is not something you have for a couple days and then feel better from. as I've learned. For me I will be a little stressed about something, then something else happens, and then wham hands start shaking, sweating, heart races... the whole deal...

Other than stress.... I try and avoid stuff I know triggers me.. ie weed, transit at busy times, lineups etc. etc.

I have taken the meds... and I try and avoid them. Mostly for me I just really need to try and limit stress..... Easy to say hard to Do!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~NurSe JibZ~

there are tons of sites on the net dedicated to this as well with lots of helpful info. look into it, i have no doubt you will be ok. if you want a dope therapist and live in the downtown toronto area i can recommend mine. she is super cool.
pm me if you want deets.

:D

Hey- your box is full... perhaps you could either clean it, or PM me your email. Thanks! :)

tobywan

TRIBE Member
man...past couple hours have not been fun at all.

Not too sure what I've been experiencing, but it definately hasn't been fun...tried all sorts of things to keep my mind, etc occupied...but I just don't have clear thoughts at all...

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
This thread was pretty informative with many different opinions...
Everyones body reacts differently with anxiety... You just have to try and try until you find something that works...

As many people have mentioned on here, physical exercise does wonders for your mind... If I have not been biking/jogging or to the gym in awhile, I find the stress and anxiety really fucks me up...

dj SPINZ

TRIBE Promoter
This is awesome advice. Actually a lot of good advice in this thread ... other than the smoking weed thing. For most people that's a horrible thing to do as the chances of it increasing your anxiety are very high. I cut that out entirely years ago and it helped a lot with my anxiety problems.

Basically getting your body running as well as possible is the first step, then getting to the root of your anxiety is next. Basically it seems like you start thinking about what you have to do and your brain has a snowball effect as you pile every little thing on top of each other until you feel like you have a monumental task infront of you. So you're brain is tricking you into thinking this way, you need to learn ways to unravel those irrational thought processes. And believe me they are irrational!! You can do everything you need to do and more if you re-train your brain and use your anxious energy to your advantage.

Some of the books that have been suggested are another good start in understanding your anxiety. As well as talking to a psychiatrist at your school clinic.

Originally posted by Jeffsus
Get closer to baseline. Do not drink caffeine or use drugs, including alcohol and nicotine! Alcohol, nicotine, weed, all these things affect your sober times in unpredictable ways. Withdrawal from them is well known to affect things like anxiety. You need to "get over the hump" which can take quite a while; though for many people an order of a week should be good.

Try to get some intense exercise at least a couple times a week, which will help you to sleep regularly, which helps with anxiety a lot, in my experience.

Eat healthy foods, avoid blood sugar spikes and depressions.

This simple advice is a necessary starting spot for someone in your condition. You also obviously need to see a doctor.

-jM
A&D