• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dealing with anxiety?

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ubu Roi
Me too!! Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff and used to be borderline cronic, but now only for rare occasions... It got to a point last year where I was having serious anxiety attacks, and moments of social paranoia when I smoked... oy... not fun. Check to see if your school has a psych service and give them a visit. All the best! and hang tough

Not only anxiety attacks but weed make me uber paranoid sometimes... like hearing voices paranoid.... I have some other issues I dealt with in the past that I think may have influenced this reaction. So I generally just avoid

I used to be a chronic too... like all through highschool and college....

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

triplem

TRIBE Member
re: using dope

I use dope to stop the attacks.

When I'm straight, I panic easily and tend to attack those who oppose me.

When the stress level gets really bad, either my husband or one of the kids get me some.

It helps settle me down and I can function again.

It also stimulates my appetite, which is a good thing, because when the attacks get stong, I don't eat.

Dope and improved diet works until I get overloaded again.

I haven't gone to a doctor with this problem because I don't trust man-ufactured drugs.

(oh yea, I post here...thanks to all who stuck with me last time I couldn't handle in anymore).

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
I've been going through a lot of the same right now but unfortunately it's gone on for a really long time without me noticing and finally it all came crashing down.........i went to see my doctor who is prescribed me with some meds which i didn't like but went with it, he's been my family doctor since i was a wee baby so i have a huge amount of trust for his jugdement and he's told me to see a someone about it as well.........

I've stopped drinking, stopped smoking cigarettes but have almost become too dependent on weed now and am cutting down a bit, started doing some weekly activities but still am in the same rut.................i think sometimes these things can take time and sometimes they can be solved right away

i hope when i go see the psychiatrist he can maybe shed some more light on it for me. Wish me luck:D

If there's any one good solid piece of advice I can recommened is go see your doctor you never know if whats going on is more serious than it is or you think it is, how does that shitty saying go

BETTER TO BE SAFE THEN TO BE SORRY

Latez
Louie

Aleks

TRIBE Member
i hate to re-iterate what many have allready suggested, but...weed works for me. and i DON'T think its an illusion. it really works for me....but then again like y'all have allready mentioned it may not work so nicely with everybody..

pce,

-Aleks

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Add me to the list of "weed makes me more anxious" folks

Also to the list of used to smoke every day, now only once in a while.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
For those of you getting fucked up on the weekends, and then complaining about anxiety or depression, have you ever tried going a month without getting wonky? Some people's bodies handle thier shit better than others when the party's over.

debunct

TRIBE Promoter
hey judge wopner and ravaged....following up on the sarno book....there is no doubt that book absolutely changed my life. and again i thank you for that. i am so happy for that. but if you want to take those concepts further, really investigate the sedona method for "releasing" emotions. it is absolutely amazing what happens to you. my life is a complete joy now.

you can really get down to find out what really makes you tick and you can easily eliminate any nasty habits or physical inhibitions that you have. i am living proof of it.

and all those with these anxiety attacks, there is a solution that doesn't need meds or therapy or anything. the answers are always inside of you. you just have to stop and clear out all the shite before you can see it.

jeff

Aleks

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rude1_247
For those of you getting fucked up on the weekends, and then complaining about anxiety or depression, have you ever tried going a month without getting wonky? Some people's bodies handle thier shit better than others when the party's over.

word.

taking a break will even make a difference in my opinion...

pce,

-Aleks[weedstillcalmsmedown..]

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boo
First anxiety attack I ever had was on weed. In fact I didn't even know what anxiety was still I smoked weed. I get so paranoid and anxious on the weed that I throw up sometimes. Needless to say I don't really smoke it at all.

I'd say 60% of my experiences on weed were awful. Enough to make it not worth the risk, and never do it again. I would have a few tokes and then be pacing around my friends backyard for hours worried, until I came down. Or have to go right to bed after hanging out with my friends and try to relax. I've gone to concerts and had to sit in a corner and miss the whole show because I was too scared to get up.

I blame weed for most axiety attacks I've had since, because I know how to feel anxious now, where I didn't before. Its the worst feeling in the world where your thoughts are going at a million miles an hour and you think you're going crazy, and don't know if you'll ever feel normal.

I'd like to like weed, I really would. It sounds good on paper, and it has been a nice high a few times, but its definately not a cure for axiety for all people thats for damn sure.

X2

Funny how people always meet me and think I am a pothead because of my name...

If you are experiencing anxiety, examine your chemical drug intake and sleeping patterns.

I went through a ruff summer (2002) of anxiety and I think the majority of it had to do with my weekend habits.

It really made me clean up my act, I haven't touched any letters in almost 3 years, and my sleep pattern is on the verge of being almost normal again.

Although I don't feel 100% better, I learned the hard way that I am not superman, and that if my body is tired not to pump myself full of things to fool it. It will bite you in the ass eventually.

One more thing, let the people who you are close with know whats up. Tell them that you get bouts of anxiety and that if you suddenly feel the need to leave the room and go for a walk it's not because they smell bad or dinner sucked.

People tend to be more understanding once they understand themselves, even though there aren't enough words to describe the misery of anxiety.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by debunct

and all those with these anxiety attacks, there is a solution that doesn't need meds or therapy or anything. the answers are always inside of you. you just have to stop and clear out all the shite before you can see it.

jeff

Preach that from the highest mountain

Jazz

TRIBE Member
talk to your doctor.. i had a close friend who suffered from regular panic attacks, her doctor put her into cognitive behavioral group therapy.. 12 weekly sessions i think, and it helped her a lot.. no drugs needed

kmsmith

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Maui
You need to hit up a firing range bud. There is not better way to relieve stress then letting off about 20 rounds from a high powered rifle.

I just thought this was funny, yet unnoticed....

Maui also mentioned excercise....Thats the ticket, imo....I get anxiety attacks (at least I *think* thats what it is) and going out and playing hockey or running or biking outside totally gets your brain off the stress....

Also, some people are talking as if weed giving you anxiety is a new phenomenon...This is, I think, a very very widely known notion...It will definitely increase paranoia for a short while. Therefore, imo, stay far far away from teh weed when feeling stressed. The stress will far outweigh the bake...

Thats my $.02
Kyle.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
A-fuckin-men brother. I know anxiety.

First off, stop pumping Tim Horton's into your body. I don't jus say that because I have a bias against it, I say that because coffee will fuck with you even more if you have anxiety. (especially cheap-ass caffeine maxxored coffee). In college I used to drink 8-10 cups a day and my stomach was fucked.

oh man.....memories...

The very first panic attack I had was on May 1, 2002.

It was on a Monday morning after a weekend of gurning, it was one of those Ascension parties at Palais Royale that was the highlight of the weekend.

I remember getting up to go to work and feeling like absolute ass. So I went to Tim Hortons and bought an EXTRA large triple triple.

After that I had to go to canadian tire to get some supplies, and I remember walking into the store....BAM.....panic attack. Full blown. My vision started going up...down...sideways. Like a really mashy pill kicking in....

My heart was beating right out of my chest, sweat, felt like I was dying. I couldnt even remember what I was in there to get, so I left without making a purchase.

I had never experienced this before, it scared the hell out of me. From that day forward I had constant adrenaline...like constant. The only time I didn't feel like that was when I was drinking alcohol, or hungover....no need to get into great detail about that pattern of self destruction...

I couldn't even handle the majority of the people I had known my whole life, the only time I would go out was when I knew that there would be booze involved.

I couldnt go into canadian tire for about a year, because I would have a panic attack.

I couldnt go into malls, for the same reason. Dealing with customers at my shop was a nightmare. Driving in traffic would set me off.

Finally after three months of this I went to a psychiatrist to sort it out, which led to a prescription from my family doctor, Amytryptiline (sp?) was what I was prescribed. It helped night and day within about three weeks of starting to take it. I gradually got better, but in the meantime I straightened up a lot of things. I quit smoking, coffee, drugs, and started paying attention to what my body was telling me (i.e.....tired=sleep not party)

I was being pretty hard on myself, work a 40 hour week, drive two hours to Toronto, brock out for two night, sleep on various floors/beds/couches in my little rave social network, then drive home half stupified and sleep for a few hours, wake up and repeat....

I quit taking the meds last winter when my prescription needed to me renewed. I wanted to test myself to see if I had beat it or not, and to see if my healthier lifestyle choices were helping.

I have been off of them ever since. I have the odd day where its not fun, but I know that a good night sleep is probably all that I need, and I know that the worst of it is behind me now.

I should have known better then to live how I was living, my mother had to quit teaching due to anxiety and adrenaline, but when you are 20 years old with no responsibilities you tend to not think about that stuff.

kmsmith

TRIBE Member
Okay...reading that last post....Umm, my advice was more for run of the mill stress, then....

I have never experienced anything like that. Thats rough.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by green_souljah
I have the odd day where its not fun, but I know that a good night sleep is probably all that I need, and I know that the worst of it is behind me now.

congratulations - it sounds like that was a really difficult thing to get through, and something that took a lot of work.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
congratulations - it sounds like that was a really difficult thing to get through, and something that took a lot of work.

:cool:

When you value your life and the people in it, and want to continue building your relationships and career choices, when something like that comes at you you don't really have a choice but to work out some sort of solution.

It was a difficult time, but in hindsight it taught me a lot about myself, and made me make some lifestyle changes that needed to be made, the outcome could have been far worse than it was.

I wish at the time though I had have known that there were others out there going through the same thing, and that I WASN"T going to wind up in a psych ward, which is kind of why I went into great detail on this thread.....if you ever go through something like this.....you will get better, it's just your body giving you a warning to confront some "demons".

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i have only had one serious panic attack in my life this december and it was so awful i never want to experience anything like that again. i don't know what i would do if it was occuring on a regular basis? thank god i am more or less myself again these days.

Sigh...

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sugar
What worked for me in the past (and I really need to go back to) was cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT). I have generalised anxiety disorder (GAD), and that course of treatment is very effective for GAD and other anxiety disorders. I also occasionally get panic attacks, but they are pretty few and far between since I finished school a few years ago.

The main thing about CBT is that you work on methods for coping with your problems AND you look more deeply into your "core beliefs" about your problems/ways of thinking. You challenge your automatic thoughts by systematically considering the evidence for and against your core beliefs. This is obviously a method that promotes long-term success at conquering your anxiety/depression/whatever.

I also find, like other people have mentioned, that just knowing that I have the little bottle of Ativan in my knapsack makes me not concerned about panic attacks. If you get the sublingual type, they dissolve under your tongue and go to work really quickly.

You said you're in school: are you at UofT by chance? They have a really good Psychiatric Services clinic there, and there is one psychologist who practices CBT. If you're a student, it's free, but there's usually a waiting list. Whichever school you're at, they most likely have a similar service.

debunct

TRIBE Promoter
ravaged....yep i am 100% for the past 3 weeks, since i finished the sedona course. it was a bit of rough ride there for awhile while all these emotions were being "unrepressed" but once i got a handle on the technique of releasing them, my body has become so much more lighter and less tense, i have no back pain what so ever. it is truly a higher state of self. it is amazing. no more stress, no more effort, i am so lucky have found this at the ripe old age of 31. i just love the thought of that. amazing.

it is tough man, and i lost a marriage and i am switching up my career and shit, but those are not mistakes anymore...i am actually taking the oppurtunity to learn something...there is a lesson to be learned in everything. that is why you chose to go by the sarno book. there is a reason for that. you are on the start of your journey, at any moment you get off and go live in the same state or you have the chance to change your perception on life by really learning about pain and emotions. they say you can only feel true happiness until you have felt the bottom of the pile. i highly highly encourage you to read two books :

the sedona method
the monk who sold his ferrari

unbelievable.....this is for anybody. it is time for people to start living how we are supposed to be living, loving and peaceful and helping.....this is the only reason i am writing this. it is everyones choice how they perceive things.

i could go on for hours....

take it easy and if you have any questions let me know....

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by debunct
ravaged....yep i am 100% for the past 3 weeks, since i finished the sedona course. it was a bit of rough ride there for awhile while all these emotions were being "unrepressed" but once i got a handle on the technique of releasing them, my body has become so much more lighter and less tense, i have no back pain what so ever. it is truly a higher state of self. it is amazing. no more stress, no more effort, i am so lucky have found this at the ripe old age of 31. i just love the thought of that. amazing.

it is tough man, and i lost a marriage and i am switching up my career and shit, but those are not mistakes anymore...i am actually taking the oppurtunity to learn something...there is a lesson to be learned in everything. that is why you chose to go by the sarno book. there is a reason for that. you are on the start of your journey, at any moment you get off and go live in the same state or you have the chance to change your perception on life by really learning about pain and emotions. they say you can only feel true happiness until you have felt the bottom of the pile. i highly highly encourage you to read two books :

the sedona method
the monk who sold his ferrari

unbelievable.....this is for anybody. it is time for people to start living how we are supposed to be living, loving and peaceful and helping.....this is the only reason i am writing this. it is everyones choice how they perceive things.

i could go on for hours....

take it easy and if you have any questions let me know....

Under $40 for the pair of them, after reading that post I bought them from chapters.ca.

:cool:

kmac

TRIBE Member
I had the same type of ordeal as green_souljah, and 100% agree with what sugar said above. CBT was very helpful and I still use some of the tactics on the very rare day I may feel an attack coming on.

Getting adequate, excercise, and reducing the party favours helped a lot too (or at least realizing that if I am going to party, I know how I'm going to feel for the next two days).

mcbee

TRIBE Member
do a search...there a few goods anxiety discussions on tribe.

firstly, one major step in dealing with your anxiety is facing what is happening to you and congrats you are doing that!!!

learning to not fear the anxiety or the panic attack will do wonders in managing it. such a hard thing to do, but its the fear that causes the constant chest pain/hard to breath/omg i'm going crazy feeling. CBT is an exellent route..gives you tools to learn how to deal with the anxiety ridden thoughts.

Limiting sugar/caffeine, upping your exercise, b complex vitamins, yoga, meditiation, journalling, talking about what you are going through....all help in managing and eliminating your anxiety.

finally, meds are an option that can be looked at with the guidance of your family doc and/or therapist. they definatley aren't for everyone, but can be a lifesaver to some.

best of luck. feel free to pm me if you'd like. i've been around this block alot and always available!!

:)sarah

p.s. stimulants and weed DEFINATELY cause anxiety. long term e and coke use can totally bring this on. party safe everyone!!!!