• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

DEADWOOD TV series

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
I always pass by Season 1 at the video store. Is it any good? What makes it good? I love Western's but have never seen it done well in a TV format.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I love this show but I think I'm going deaf, I can't catch what people are saying half the time.

I watched the new show lucky louie after and heard the line "Your pussy is a chamber of financial ruin." Funny show.

nonlocal

TRIBE Member
"I caught you stuffing those spit-backs into your vile maw! Would you have tomorrow's omlettes empty? Is that your attitude?"

Awesome.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
I can't believe Tribers aren't into this show. It is so solid. Very similar to Rome in that it captures the nuances of the era realistically and develops characters true to the era as well.

Do yourself a favour and check it out, especially if you like Westerns.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
the boy and i were hooked to it for season 1 and most of season 2, but we've had a *really* hard time getting through the first couple episodes of season 3.
i think we've tried to watch the 2nd episode 2 or 3 times by now - without ever making it through completely!

the fact that people who've seen the whole season are saying it was boring does NOT bode well for us ever getting around to watching the rest. ;)

but season 1 and 2 were certainly excellent.

acheron

TRIBE Member
definitely.

Now that Season 3's over, we can look forward to 2 2-hour films next season to finish the series.

Season 3 is a ramping up of tension over the course of the 12 episodes. Hearst's influence on the camp widens and the consequences for everyone become more palpable... It will be interesting to see how everything is resolved.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Kazoo said:
I can't believe Tribers aren't into this show. It is so solid. Very similar to Rome in that it captures the nuances of the era realistically and develops characters true to the era as well.

Do yourself a favour and check it out, especially if you like Westerns.
Agreed, my dad got me on to it and I'm hooked now. Swearinger (sp?) is a great character. I"m not even a fan of westerns, but I really appreciate the attention to detail and development of characters.

Dan

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have brought all of Deadwood down with me. I am going to start watching season 1 tonight. I have no idea what to expect, but I hear Molly Parker is in it and I have a huge crush on her. Also, after watching 5 seasons of Wild Wild West, I am kind of in a western frame of mind. Even eating more tinned beans these days.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Well I was not sure if I would like it when I started watching it, but by the end of the first episode of Deadwood I am hooked. Truly the wild west: a gold-based community, gunfights in the streets, lynchings, etc.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yep - we were supposed to get a mini-movie to close things off... one of the few times HBO ended something early - from what I hear Milch/HBO were a bit like oil+water sometimes... Though they did bring him back for that 1 season of the surfer show...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
Anyway enjoy it Alex! Lovely show and I can't wait to revisit the series soon in HD on a new TV...

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Later in the series - I think season 2 - there is an episode where they subtly reference the controversy over the swearing. Pretty funny IIRC. My favorite though is where Swearengen makes a reference to Dan being Warren from Something About Mary.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am at episode 8 of season 1 and I am totally hooked. What an amazing series. How does HBO come up with these solid shows all the time?