• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dead battery on an iriver H300 series

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
So over the past few weeks I've realised that my battery won't hold a charge anymore. I'm getting 2 hours max and need to get this replaced soon.

Seems like the only "legit" way to get a battery replaced is to send the f'n thing in to iriver so that they can do it themselves, and I can't live without my music for that long. I also don't want any guff over my firmware upgrades.

Has anyone tried to do this themselves?

There's a guide on misticriver.net that explains how to do it step by step, after I've ordered the replacement battery online.

I'm just curious to see if anyone else has tried this and what their experience has been.

Doran

TRIBE Member
I've only heard from others about their experiences, namely with the excellent service they have provided for out of warranty players like the ihp120. The nice thing about the RockBox firmware is that it's pretty easy to remove/restore to factory without so much as a clue to what was installed.

If I were in your situation though, I'd go to like futureshop and purchase something to use in the meantime - and copy your files to it, and remove the 3rd party firmware off your original player - and get it shipped to iriver.. I've never heard so many positive things about anyones customer support.. Futureshop lets you return anything question free within 30 days.. you've got a player to keep you busy for a month while things are processed in korea.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
In case anyone's interested, I performed the battery replacement today as described in the link above and it looks like it was a success.

I ordered this battery: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/BIPOD2200M12/

and it installed with no problems. I'm not as experienced with this kind of stuff so it took me about an hour, but there weren't any complications and after bit of a charge, i've tested the unit and everything is working great.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Any word on where/how to score a new hdd for the ihp120? It'd be nice to have an affordable alternative to simply buying a new mp3 player.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

db

TRIBE Member
^^^ I think KiFe is looking for a replacement hard disk not battery.

KiFe: Are you looking at replacing a fried HD or upgrading to a bigger one? If you're looking to upgrade in size there's a good chance that the form factor of a drive with a higher capacity won't fit inside the housing for your player (esp. if you're using a larger capacity replacement battery).

KiFe

TRIBE Member
No my drive pooched when the ihp dropped to the concrete while groovin' on some sweet choons.

I'd rather replace the drive than buy a whole new playa.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories