• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

de-mystify televisions - plasma's and lcd's

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Soundstream, i'm looking in your direction.... :)

I'm in the market for a flat panel television 32-47' ...

still unsure as to if i should go with LCD or plasma tho.

I want a flat panel so that i can pick up and move from city to city without having to worry about towing around a hunk of lead.

so the wega is out.
and any rear-projectors are out.

so who knows anything about flat panel HDtv's?
Words of wisdom re: lcd and plasmas would be welcome... aswell as places to buy (other than bestbuy and FS) deals to consider or more affordable options are good too.

c'mon TV 633Kz show yourselves!

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Plasma & LCD are SHIT and Waste of $$$ IMO.

Honestly ... When I bought my TV I bought it because it was the best bang for the buck.

I can't complain with my Rear Projection HDTV.
But I know it's not the best.

If I was you and wanted to shell out the cash, I'd look at the Grand Wega's.

pr0nstar

kat

TRIBE Member
i dont really know much about this..but ya

if you can afford a plasma - you can also afford to be replacing it when it burns the screen

so i would say lcd..because they last longer

but who knows with your jobb - you're rich uncle moneybags, so do whichevas

juice

TRIBE Member
If you have the money go ahead and go plasma or lcd or whatever. I have a 32 inch Sony xbr hdtv and it weighs a ton but I've moved places 3 times now while I've had it and it really hasn't been that much of a hassle at all.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Also I hate the fact that with DLP/Plasma... they are allowed to ship you one with I think up to 8 dead pixels!?

Like WTF, that's nice, pay $10k for a Plasma and it can be screwed from the get go...

Plus with Plasma you have to service/vent the gas or whatever every year I hear.

pr0nstar

~atp~

TRIBE Member
I'm also of the opinion that plasma televisions aren't worth the money at this point; plasma televisions have the advantage of being portable, but this is hardly an issue except when you move, so unless you're moving twice a year, it isn't worth it, IMO.

If you're going high quality, check out the 1080i/720p capable televisions (high definition).

The digital technologies will be rolling out in full force hopefully by 2008, so if you're going to invest, make sure that it's hd-ready. ;)

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Plasma & LCD are SHIT and Waste of $$$ IMO.
Kenny, they are not "SHIT" as you put it. They are not the best "bang for the buck", but when has a high end product ever been the best "bang for the buck"?

As I mentioned before, the main advantage is the space savings. Especially in a condominium where your space is sometimes limited, compared to a regular house. You can look at it as buying an extension to the size of your living room.

My thoughts on these items:

- Wait at least 2 months before buying a plasma, as another big price drop is in store soon
- Wait at least 6 months before buying an LCD, as there will be a price increase in the next few months, followed by a dramatic decreace around summer time
- My preference: LCD is much brighter contrast (especially with black colours), and you will not have to worry about the burn-in effect that many plasma's suffer from.

Cheers ... Ian :)

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
I have had my 42" plasma for over 3 years now, and i love it more each day.

especially with the advent of real HD programming expanding :D

I would suggest going to a place like Bay Bloor Radio rather than a BB or FS to purchase such a TV...or you could check out Audio Excellence in Yorkville on Cumberland.

I have a 20" sharp aquos LCD tv I'm looking to unload...

Moe

TRIBE Member
Get a video projector..... a DLP is the way to go

Make sure to have a room with little or no outside light coming in...

I recommend the Sharp projectors they rock... get yoursellf a 120" screen and you're laughing

total cost - $5000 - worth every penny!!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Yeah i know you're a big fan of the WEGA line kenny.. but they are the biggest fucking huks of tv i could possibly buy.

way to huge and heavy to drag around with me wherever i go...

hence my desire for a flat-panel alternative.

I have found SOME DLP's that are not necessarily all that deep... but they're still usually pretty tall and my livingroom can afford barely more than the screensize i'm after.

i hear so many conflicting stores re: LCD v.s. PLASMA ... i just don't know which way to turn anymore...

i found a REALLY nice looking hitachi at FS the other day... but stupid FS didn't have ANY labels on it, feature list or anything beyond pricetag.
As usual, their salespeople were of little help aswell.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
There will be a breakthrough in LCD manufacturing technology in the next year or so, so if you hold off, you'll get one for about 1/4 of what they are now.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Of course Ian...

But I think after what... a few years you think they'd get it right.
I think Plasma's are SHIT and a waste of money ...

IMO, Rear LCD Projection ... the one I posted, is the best one on the Market right now... but still very new technology in the TV market and expensive.

Just my 2 cents ;) After spending hours looking at Plasma, Rear Projection CRT, DLP, LCD, Rear Projection LCD, etc...

pr0nstar :D

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
The technology is too new for mass market consumption. Only the diehards are going there and they know they are getting ripped off.

If you play vids with it just forget about it until there are some innovations that allow for more durability what with image burning and such.

I am going to wait two years at least before I even look at them.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
There will be a breakthrough in LCD manufacturing technology in the next year or so, so if you hold off, you'll get one for about 1/4 of what they are now.
1. The breakthrough is being implemented in newer models in about a month or so.

2. They will not be 1/4 of the price, although they will be significantly cheaper.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
KiFe...

Honestly, buy a Projector, like InFocus ... a Screen.

And it can double as a "Monitor" for Wall Fragging ;)

pr0nstar :D

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Soundstream
1. The breakthrough is being implemented in newer models in about a month or so.

2. They will not be 1/4 of the price, although they will be significantly cheaper.
I'm talking about a bigger breakthrough...

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
IMO, Rear LCD Projection ... the one I posted, is the best one on the Market right now... but still very new technology in the TV market and expensive.
It is also 18 inches thick. You are comparing apples to oranges.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
ok, i need to clear up some misconceptions in this thread...

first,..plasma's do not require any kind of annual maintenance whatsoever. Other than wiping the screen of dust every once in a while.....
Burn in does not occur on a plasma, I have played more video games than viewed TV on mine and I have no artifacts, dead pixels, or screen burn whatsoever.

LCDs are brighter, but plasma's display a better picture and handle moving scenes better IMO.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I guess it depends on size of TV/Room also for KiFe...

I had to re-arrange my living room just so I could watch TV on my 46" ... it was way too close the way I wanted to have my Living room.

Dont' forget that KiFe ;) At least 8-10' away from the TV!

pr0nstar

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders