• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Davvincii

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
In a nutshell it sums why why the entire corporate EDM thing sucks so much.

I wonder how much people paid to see that dude at the rogers center recently....

Nearly 30 hospitalized after sold-out Avicii concert

Josh Elliott, CTV Toronto

Published Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:15AM EDT

Alcohol or drug use sent 29 people to hospital with various degrees of illness on Saturday night after an Avicii concert at Toronto’s Rogers Centre.
Rogers Centre had its own medics for the sold out, all-ages electronic dance concert and EMS was not on standby, paramedics said. But staff at the 20,000-seat venue quickly became “overwhelmed” by the number of sick patrons, and that’s when they called EMS to take over, paramedics said.
“Unfortunately we have a few kids … excessive alcohol and partying and they can’t handle it,” EMS commander Peter Rotolo told CP24 on Saturday.
Five people were in serious condition but all are expected to fully recover, paramedics said.
Police arrested one concertgoer and at least one other was treated for drug use, paramedics said.
Paramedics said people began falling ill outside Rogers Centre before the Swedish DJ Avicii came out on stage.
“There’s a lot of people here and a few don’t spoil it for the rest,” Rotolo said.

Read more: 29 hospitalized after sold-out Avicii concert at Rogers Centre in Toronto | CTV Toronto News

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

octo

TRIBE Member
In a nutshell it sums why why the entire corporate EDM thing sucks so much.

I wonder how much people paid to see that dude at the rogers center recently....

Nearly 30 hospitalized after sold-out Avicii concert

Josh Elliott, CTV Toronto

Published Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:15AM EDT

Alcohol or drug use sent 29 people to hospital with various degrees of illness on Saturday night after an Avicii concert at Toronto’s Rogers Centre.
Rogers Centre had its own medics for the sold out, all-ages electronic dance concert and EMS was not on standby, paramedics said. But staff at the 20,000-seat venue quickly became “overwhelmed” by the number of sick patrons, and that’s when they called EMS to take over, paramedics said.
“Unfortunately we have a few kids … excessive alcohol and partying and they can’t handle it,” EMS commander Peter Rotolo told CP24 on Saturday.
Five people were in serious condition but all are expected to fully recover, paramedics said.
Police arrested one concertgoer and at least one other was treated for drug use, paramedics said.
Paramedics said people began falling ill outside Rogers Centre before the Swedish DJ Avicii came out on stage.
“There’s a lot of people here and a few don’t spoil it for the rest,” Rotolo said.

Read more: 29 hospitalized after sold-out Avicii concert at Rogers Centre in Toronto | CTV Toronto News

you're a sensationalist, just like the media. out of 20,000 people only 29 got taken to hospital? that's not bad. imagine 20,000 tribe like people 15 years ago. or even now. there'd be way more going to the hospital.

instead of focusing on the sensationalist aspects i wish people would use this as an opportunity to educate the masses about djing, electronic music and the culture.

my idiot friends tried to get me to go. they paid almost $100/ticket. meanwhile i couldn't get any of them to buy $20tix to see Louie Vega tonight. i tried. i sent clips, i sent bios. i guess there just aren't enough sluts at proper house music parties.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
My point is that whoever promoted this corporate EDM party should have forked out the money to have extra medical on hand. They should have known better. At ticket prices that high x 20,000, not being prepared is just plain corporate greed at the expense of the health and safety of the partyers.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
you're a sensationalist, just like the media. out of 20,000 people only 29 got taken to hospital? that's not bad. imagine 20,000 tribe like people 15 years ago. or even now. there'd be way more going to the hospital.

instead of focusing on the sensationalist aspects i wish people would use this as an opportunity to educate the masses about djing, electronic music and the culture.

my idiot friends tried to get me to go. they paid almost $100/ticket. meanwhile i couldn't get any of them to buy $20tix to see Louie Vega tonight. i tried. i sent clips, i sent bios. i guess there just aren't enough sluts at proper house music parties.

wait, hes playing tonight? where?

octo

TRIBE Member
at Ryze College/Bathurst
https://www.facebook.com/events/238244166381918/
My point is that whoever promoted this corporate EDM party should have forked out the money to have extra medical on hand. They should have known better. At ticket prices that high x 20,000, not being prepared is just plain corporate greed at the expense of the health and safety of the partyers.

i didn't realise that was your point.

i can't believe they didn't have EMS on site. i thought it's a legal requirement to have certain number of paramedics at these events.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
that's a great skit.

i was at the aviicii party at rogers centre and was amazed at how young the crowd was. i'm talking younger than hullabaloo backinthaday young.

they had tons of energy, though, and were having a blast, so who are we to criticize?

as for the price that kids will pay to see shows like this, and the corresponding amount that EDM performers command, i agree it's outrageous, but if the shows are selling out in advance at that price, then, again, who are we to say it's too expensive? these performers are in it for the fame and money, not for the PLUR.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
dropping-like-flies.jpg

Ravers "dropping like flies"

‘We are going to find one of these kids in the lake,’ police warn councillor about Exhibition Place EDM parties

Peter Kuitenbrouwer | National Post

Senior police have warned Mike Grimes that “we are going to find one of these kids in the lake,” if Exhibition Place continues to host all-ages Electronic Dance Music parties, the city councillor told a meeting of the board Friday.

“This is not the kind of business we want at Exhibition Place,” added Mr. Grimes, chair of the fairground board.

Last month Exhibition Place voted to ban the all-ages EDM parties. Then two weeks ago, city council ordered Exhibition Place to rescind its ban on EDMs.

Charles Khabouth, chief executive of Ink Entertainment, which owns several nightclubs in Toronto, is negotiating with Exhibition Place to hold an all-ages dance event for 8,000 people.

But Mr. Khabouth’s track record came in for scrutiny at the meeting. Ambulances took 29 people to hospital from a concert by Swedish DJ Avicii last Saturday night, an event co-produced by Ink Entertainment, Deputy Chief Gord McEachan of Toronto Emergency Medical Service told the board.

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti said the problems at the Avicii show prove that Ink cannot be trusted to run safe all-ages events on the Exhibition Grounds. EMS reports show that ambulances took nine people to hospital from an Ink EDM show at the Better Living Centre last September, and took three people to hospital from an EDM show at the Direct Energy Centre in December.

“I would like to ask the promoters some questions,” Mr. Mammoliti told the board. “I will ask for resignations in this city if we approve this process and a child dies.”

Mr. Khabouth said in an interview Friday that 29 people sent to hospital from the Avicii show is “way too many.” But Ink did not run the event, which drew 26,000 people, he said.

“We were partners with Live Nation. The Rogers Centre ran the whole event,” Mr. Khabouth said. “I was merely a financial partner and did not run that show.”

Mr. Khabouth attended the show but entered by a special door and took in the music from a private box, he said.

I don’t think the people involved in running that show had a lot of experience. I think there was a little bit of panic,” he said.

Mr. Mammoliti shared with the National Post an email from Martin Perantinos, who worked as a bartender at the Avicii concert, and wrote, “This was the absolute worst event I have ever experienced working. These kids that were dropping like flies were ‘high’ the minute they stormed into the building. Please decline any future all-ages events in Toronto. It was embarrassing and humiliating.”

Mr. Khabouth said, “We did not run that operation and as of the day after the show, we will be overseeing any show that we are involved in.”

Councillors Mike Layton and Gord Perks, also members of the Exhibition Place board, said the problems at the Rogers Centre show why EDM events should take place on city property, where the city can put in place protocols to have enough security and paramedics on site to deal with any drug, alcohol, dehydration or other medical emergencies that arise.

“Young people are not going to stop listening to music,” said Mr. Perks. “If we ban them from dancing, they are not going to go home and do their homework.”

Young people are not going to stop listening to music. If we ban them from dancing, they are not going to go home and do their homework
Connie Dejak, a member of the Exhibition Place board who is chief executive of the Runnymede Health Care Centre, said she likes Mr. Mammoliti’s idea of restricting children from attending EDM events on city property.

But Mr. Khabouth said he will hold his dance events elsewhere if Exhibition Place restricts them to adults.

“The artists will not do big events if it’s not all ages,” he said. Restricting such dances to adults is “not feasible,” he added.

The board voted to study protocols for EDM events in other cities, talk to medical and health experts, and report back to city council.

‘We are going to find one of these kids in the lake,’ police warn councillor about Exhibition Place EDM parties | National Post

JamesM

TRIBE Member
yeah, that skit is pretty fucking hilarious. I've always been a fanboy of Andy Samberg's shit.

"This is Music." But maybe at some point we were like that, too. But really, not really. PLUR is gone. MONEY is in.

EltrikSoulCntlr

TRIBE Member
alexd;4668685 [url=http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/05/23/we-are-going-to-find-one-of-these-kids-in-the-lake-police-warn-councillor-about-exhibition-place-edm-parties/ said:
‘We are going to find one of these kids in the lake,’ police warn councillor about Exhibition Place EDM parties | National Post[/url]

Uh oh! Too late!

Benji Hayward remembered

Lets ban Pink Floyd from city property too! :D

greginhali

TRIBE Member
total bullshit..... "we are going to find one of these kids in the lake"

give it up. let the kids party like its '87. Fuck. We all grew up, they will too.
As far as the skydome concert, big deal, 29 dudes dudettes puked or were freakin out. Shouldnt even be in the news.