• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

David Morales in today's Metro

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
DJ spins into T.O.

Name: David Morales

International dance music producer and veteran DJ David Morales is on a non-stop trek around the world with one mission in mind: getting partygoers on their feet.

His latest stop is Toronto with the April 29 launch of Sonic, a new after-hours nightclub he’s spearheading with local DJ Nevio Persia.

“I’ve spun at the old space before and I saw it’s potential,” says Morales, who after 31 years of spinning and winning a Grammy, ranks as one of the world’s top mix masters.
In addition to running his own label, Def Mix Productions, he has remixed the sounds of musical giants like Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson and his personal favourite, Mariah Carey.

“She’s a workaholic like me,” notes Morales, who takes credit for giving Carey club credibility when he transformed her 1995 pop hit Fantasy into a high-energy house anthem.

From then on, he’s remixed a string of Carey hits for the club: My All, Honey, It’s Like That, and her latest release, Say Something.

In addition to having spawned one of the biggest dance hits last year with How Would You Feel, the Brooklyn, N.Y., native is also known to ravers in Montreal with his club Stereo, praised for its simplistic, intimate setting and impeccable surround-like sound system.

Those features are echoed in Sonic, his second major business move in Canada.

“I’m not afraid of the competition because there is no competition. I have the best sound system and my name is money,” says Morales, who flew into town last week with bags under his eyes to personally supervise the finishing touches to his investment, which has clearly cost a mint in renovations.

The space, which has gone through three name changes in three years (from Boa to 270 Spadina to Sonic), is now decked out with a Moroccan-themed interior — a stark contrast with its rather odd location, the heart of downtown Chinatown.

Even more odd is that the space used to be a Chinese theatre, but thanks to the DJing duo, the floors have been levelled with sound-absorbing hardwood. “I love the location, and besides, I can always get the best Chinese food,” says Morales.

lol

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Skipper

TRIBE Member
TECHno addict said:
“I’m not afraid of the competition because there is no competition. I have the best sound system and my name is money,” says Morales

My name is money?! you and Charles both, buddy

eskimo

TRIBE Member
hahaha awesome, good for him. can't wait for saturday, should be a great party with him and frankie knuckles, super excited :)

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
TECHno addict said:
“I’m not afraid of the competition because there is no competition. I have the best sound system and my name is money,” says Morales, who flew into town last week with bags under his eyes

jesus.

:eek:

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I don't know what to expect from this place really.

but I suspect it won't really be my scene....pretty interested to hear some reviews though.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
i'd like to see what morales will do to boa

maybe later on when they bring someone i want to see

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
he's been spinning for 31 years?

how the fuck old is he?

*edit - nevermind*

August 21st, 1961 in Brooklyn

44 years old.

= a dj since 13. lol

Last edited:

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
TECHno addict said:
= a dj since 13. lol
FisherPriceRecordplayer1.jpg

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
TECHno addict said:
DJ spins into T.O.

Name: David Morales

the floors have been levelled

That's unfortunate, the different levels, standing at the bottom and looking up at the party people was always one of my favourite things about that place.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
rod_g said:
All that money you think he'd own atleast a couple of shirts by now

Ha....dude is always without his shirt. He will be the only one allowed to break any dress code rules since he owns the club.

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
dicksherwood said:
That's unfortunate, the different levels, standing at the bottom and looking up at the party people was always one of my favourite things about that place.

only infront of the dj booth has been leveled.

everything else towards the back still has the stairs.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
boo to the no stage. for some reason i always start thinking i'm a go go dancer around 5 am...

i just want to say how PUMPED i am about this place. the oldboa/270 space is one of my favourites in the city and my favourite memory partying there was when David Morales and Frankie Knuckles were there. the awesome energy the two of them bring is phenominal. you guys are SO lucky to be attending...i wish i was but i'll be at coachella (pretty good trade off) It'll be interesting to see the place decorated...i hope its not too over the top...i really liked the underground feel the place gave.

Yay david.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
TECHno addict said:
he's been spinning for 31 years?

how the fuck old is he?

*edit - nevermind*

August 21st, 1961 in Brooklyn

44 years old.

= a dj since 13. lol

awesomeness same bday [not year haha] as me. Too bad, I don't care for his music.

bryan05

TRIBE Member
Spinsah said:
I heard Morales is getting carried into the DJ Booth by a pack of Moraccan babies.

During his Birthday bash a couple years ago at stereo, he was carried to the dj booth accross the dance floor like a king. LOL. With huge banners of his face danglling from the ceiling, it was really something to see...Maybe a little too much, but the crowd was loving it.

Bryan