• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

David Cronenberg's Spider

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Saw this movie over the weekend. Fell asleep several times, but I was still in recovery mode from Blue Mountain antics.

Although, even if I was in the right frame of mind, I still don't think I would've liked it. I think I'm done absorbing it.

Interesting point of view, thru the mind(s) of a schizo, but didn't capture my attention enough. Seemed kind of empty actually.

Oddball movies with strange concepts usually interest me, but this one didn't. Although, I haven't seen any other Cronenberg movies, so I guess he's only got to go up.

Anyone else have thoughts?

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
This film can easily get by simply on the strengths of the 3 main performances...it IS absorbing because we're not used to seeing a film through the mind of a delusional main character and that really worked for me...only cronenberg could have pulled off the mysteriousness of this film

~atp~

TRIBE Member
I was kinda like "meh" throughout the whole film. There were definitely elements of potential goodness, but nothing ever pulled itself out of the borderline monotony. The "gotcha" at the end doesn't leave me feeling either satisfied, angry, disturbed or upset. I just kinda shrug and walk away...

derek

TRIBE Member
did you guys ever see the film he did for his masters in the '70;s. can't remember the name, but it was crack head. i think it was filmed outside roy thompson hall.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Rented this tonight.

I liked the movie. Didn't think is was a great as critics said, but I didn't think it was as bad as some other people mentioned.
Enjoyed it, but wouldn't watch it again.

For a psychological flick, I found it pretty bland...it was ambitious, but didn't delve as deep as I would have liked.
It wasn't surprising or shocking, but I did think it was well crafted.
What I liked the most was the set designs, and a lot of the shots Cronenberg used.
As well, Fiennes and Richardson gave great performances.
I'd recommend it if you're in a chill mood (it's slow).

I'll give it ***1/2 out of *****

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stormshadow
Rented this tonight.

I liked the movie. Didn't think is was a great as critics said, but I didn't think it was as bad as some other people mentioned.
Enjoyed it, but wouldn't watch it again.

For a psychological flick, I found it pretty bland...it was ambitious, but didn't delve as deep as I would have liked.
It wasn't surprising or shocking, but I did think it was well crafted.
What I liked the most was the set designs, and a lot of the shots Cronenberg used.
As well, Fiennes and Richardson gave great performances.
I'd recommend it if you're in a chill mood (it's slow).

I'll give it ***1/2 out of *****
you have to have patience to really enjoy it...it's all about the acting

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Spider sucked,sorry.Cronrnberg hasn't done a decent film since Naked Lunch, Crash and Existenz?gimme a fucking break.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
MUCH more intense...
My post was a tongue-in-cheek joke that threads about this "Spider" movie are almost as numerous as the many Requim threads that have been posted over the last couple of years on this board.

Cheers ... Ian :)

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Soundstream
My post was a tongue-in-cheek joke that threads about this "Spider" movie are almost as numerous as the many Requim threads that have been posted over the last couple of years on this board.

Cheers ... Ian :)
FUCK..make me look foolish;)

hint:add what I added next time;) ;)