• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

David Byrne @ Sony Centre (04/08/2018)

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
This was one of the mostly highly anticipated shows of the hundreds I’ve attended and it did not dissapoint. Byrne’s new album “American Utopia” is a top-shelf affair. The songs work seamlessly with the rest of his oeuvre in a live setting. ...and what a setting it was. Felt like I was in my living room. 12, barefoot, grey-suited, kick-ass musicians - all untethered and carrying their instruments about an open stage. The sound was INCREDIBLE. Albums don’t do Byrne justice. He’s a force to be reckoned with live. The band remained unbelieveably tight throughout their sweetly choreographed roll-out of madness from the past 40 years. Got smashing versions of all your Talking Heads favorites, interspersed with deep cuts from some of his solo and collaborative work (St.Vincent and Brighton Port Authority). “Everybody’s Coming to My House”, “Everyday is a Miracle”, “I Dance Like That”. ...all solid new tracks. Dude is a freak of nature!!

Just about floated out of the venue when he dropped “This Must Be The Place”.

Video link to the Houston show below will give you an idea but doesn’t come close to doing it justice. Absolutely OUTSTANDING. One of the greatest things I’ve ever had the opportunity to witness live.

Arctic Monkeys this eve. Just getting up to speed on their shenanigans. Looking forward to it. :)