• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dave Seaman @ Lotus

SJN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BarneyIllfingas
There once was a DJ named Dave Seaman.....the end.
hahaha....you beat me Gregor!
the only redeeming part about this night was the look on Seaman's face while he was playing....I have no idea if he even knew where he was.

*ViX*

TRIBE Member
I don't think my shirt was tight enough and my cleavage exposed enough to feel at home in that club! Maybe I would have enjoyed Seaman a bit more if the sound system was a bit better and the sweaty dance floor didn't make me feel like I was stuck in the Guv at Summer's end. :(

organik

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BarneyIllfingas
There once was a DJ named Dave Seaman.....the end.
LOL :D Too True!!!

...And for thoughs who haven't been to Lotus don't bother going the Club sucks! It's too small and the security is definitely not friendly. If I could describe the club in one word it would be "shady". Worst service I have gotten at a club ever!!! I think this club would be more fitted for top 40 music.

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
I enjoyed myself. This club has some big potential especially with the talent they're planning on bringing in.

As for the staff, they're just doing their jobs. Imagine trying to keep track of 1400 people with everybody saying: "Hey, I know such and such.. blah blah blah." They don't have the time to deal with every individual unfortunately.

That's all for now. More later.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
The whole night gets a big fat MEH!

I was supposed to be on the guestlist (thanks anyway EV), but it turns out it closed at 11:30 PM. I arrived at around 11:40 PM. I then get told to 'get the fuck to the back of the line' if I wanted to get in after asking politely about guestlist. There was no reduced list whatsoever. Now this isn't that big of an issue, but I'd kind of expected there to be at least some sort of concession for being on the guestlist. Most clubs do have something along these lines when you show up late (line bypass, reduced cover, etc.). Apparently I wasn't he only one who had problems with the list...

I didn't get IDed, which sort of surprised me for Toronto. Upon entering the club, some security chick then proceeded to grab my junk not once, but twice. I think she must have thought I was extra large and hiding copious amounts of drugs down there - either that or she was trying to cop a feel. Regardless, that frisk was beyond excessive and I was not impressed.

The crowd was generally rude, burly and annoying. It was very Barbie and Ken mixed in with a frightening Guv-like muscle guy swagger.

Peter The Greek was playing in Mark Oliver's place for some reason and it showed. What an atrocious warm up set that was! His last track was some trance anthem. I mean, it's Dave Seaman playing after you for Christ's sake, not Ferry Corsten! Go back to playing for Shep mate. Next time I go there, I pray it's Mark on the decks as he knows how to get things going properly!

Seaman was MEH! He started off with a nice breaks tune and I thought we were in for a good one, but he just kept pounding out the tracks with the odd vocal thrown in for good measure (all of which he sang to) without much thought for programming. I've heard him play better. He also annoyingly kept yanking down the volume from the poorly placed DJ booth and 'beg' the crowd to scream. No one could see him or hear him yelling anyway. To make it worse, those who tried to keep track of the rhythm when he did so had no sense of timing and wound up sounding like a bunch of people clapping to a political speech instead of music.

Even Dinosaur Adventure 3D by Underworld sounded dull in the set played by Seaman.

It was suggested to me that he was fucked out of his skull, and I'm starting to think he just might have been because the crowd wasn't responsive but Dave was 'givin' 'er' in the DJ booth regardless. I know he likes to shake it a bit when he plays, but this is the most enthusiastic I've ever seen him. I'll give him credit for that. :) It was fun to watch, but the output just wasn't there. Watching a DJ have a fun time can only last for so long if the music isn't that good.

By 3:30 AM I'd had enough and ventured the hell on outta there. I could stand it no more. I was pretty much the last of of the few Tribers I knew/saw to leave

The only highlight of the night was repeatedly cruising by the hot chick giving out free champagne. Flirting with her was fun and she seemed to be enjoying it, but my gf would have surely disapproved if I had taken it any further. :eek:

I will not venture back to Lotus EVER again unless they sort out some issues:
1. Rude security. My entrance at the door was beyond unwelcoming. Being grabbed in the twig and berries and sworn at as I was hearded around like cattle was discouraging.
2. Bottleneck crowds. They were horrible on some places. Very narrow staircases make for a difficult time going up and down. They need to sort out the traffic flow in that place pronto because all you end up doing is getting shoved around to great discomfort.
3. Open up the top level. Apparently there's going to be a fourth level which is going to be all open (none of that small room shit) space. That should hopefully spread things out a little and the meatheads will stay downstairs.
4. Poor sound in the current 'main' room. It's just bad. Lots of dead areas. It's sufficiently lacking in areas and poorly faced. I'm no pro audio guy, but I could face a soundsystem a lot better than that thing was. I don't mind if the soundsystem is 'quiet', but it sounded like crap. It was all low end which made it sound very dull and lifeless.
4. The crowd. It needs to change if they want to successfully have big name prog DJs come in and play and get a lot of support. For Dave Seaman, there seemed to be a lot of clueless meatheads and the support wasn't strong as a result. People were there more to be seen than to dance.

The promoters need to figure out a way to draw some of the Breathe crowd - who will stay away for all of the reasons I've mentioned above.

Needless to say, I think it's clear I was highly disappointed tonight. I'll give Lotus a second chance, but not until they at least put an effort into sorting out these issues.

The music was decent at best.

Cheers,
JK

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by AdamAnt
I enjoyed myself. This club has some big potential especially with the talent they're planning on bringing in.

As for the staff, they're just doing their jobs. Imagine trying to keep track of 1400 people with everybody saying: "Hey, I know such and such.. blah blah blah." They don't have the time to deal with every individual unfortunately.

That's all for now. More later.
Haha. Oh dear Adam.

Someone is watching their hide. ;)

Cheers,
JK

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Re: Dave Seaman @ Lotus

Originally posted by organik
LOL :D Too True!!!

...And for thoughs who haven't been to Lotus don't bother going the Club sucks! It's too small and the security is definitely not friendly. If I could describe the club in one word it would be "shady". Worst service I have gotten at a club ever!!! I think this club would be more fitted for top 40 music.

:rolleyes:
worst service ever because you got attitude back when you gave the guestlist girl attitude because she couldn't find your name?

or worst service ever because you know who got kicked out for smoking a joint?

perhaps next time you'll find the staff to be a little more accomidating if you're nice, polite and treat them with a little respect. you'd be suprised how far that can get you nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
i went with my gurlfriend and had a fine time

the staff were fine (i drank shooters with the bartender upstairs all night)

the dance floor is too small

the club is very Meowish

the music was good but not great

i shall attend for Jimmy Van M

that is all :)
Joel

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

BarneyIllfingas

TRIBE Member
The first track of the night was Infusion Legacy. Great track - sounded the best when I heard Sander K play it last August! Where was all the new music from Miami? If I wanted to hear a Ministry of Sound collection I would have wasted my $20 on a CD rather than that punk Dave Seaman. No wonder he left Miami, the Balance crew probably kicked his but right over the border. There is no way they would allow him to plague their marquee parties with that ancient junk. He has transformed from a great party DJ to just a partier. Sad, very sad.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Hmm, I got there, waited in the Guestlist line, I stated my name and stuff to the Guestlist girl, she scratched out the wrong name and let me in. Oh well, I wasn't gonna try to correct her and waste more time.

So I didn't even get patted down at all. The one doorman lemme in through the quick way after I gave him my pass, and I was inside, big jacket and all. Hell, I coulda been carrying a few guns in my coat and they wouldn't have known better. Maybe the name they scratched off the guestlist is the name of the club dealers, and they gave instructions not to seach me :confused:

So I get in, and wow, titties galore. But with tits came attitude, and lots of it. And the place is big, but too many walls make it seem really tiny. Upstairs is cool with the hot tub and all (which wasn't on), but that would be a great place to rent out for a private party, if only you could afford it.

The champagne was free?!?!?! DAMMIT!!

So I found a place near the back of the dancefloor. I wasn't going to try to go front center just to salute the dj. The sound where I planted myself was shit, but so it was everywhere. I just started dancing away.

The music, no flow, too many times where the music seemed to just stop. Some breakdowns that lead nowhere, and yes EFFING ANNOYING volume play. LOL, saying he begged people to cheer is so true. So many times he dropped the volume huge, looked out to the crowd expecting a cheer, and then had to trigger one with hand signals. I was expecting a cutting edge set with the latest tracks outta the WMC, I didn't want to recognize any tracks, sadly I did.

At around 3:30-3:45, the dancefloor emptied out. Huge gaps all over the place. So we moved up closer to the dj booth, and just planted ourselves there for a while dancing away. We left around 4 because we weren't feeling it so much anymore. The people that still danced only danced cause they were fucked. Give them a fisher price music maker and they'd dance. ALOT of people standing around. Like somebody said, they're only there to be seen.

I can't say we had a bad time. Security was actually nice to me when I asked him some questions about where places are in the club. I just can't say it's one of the better nights of the year at all.

:)
Karim

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Karim
Hmm, I got there, waited in the Guestlist line, I stated my name and stuff to the Guestlist girl, she scratched out the wrong name and let me in. Oh well, I wasn't gonna try to correct her and waste more time.

So I didn't even get patted down at all. The one doorman lemme in through the quick way after I gave him my pass, and I was inside, big jacket and all. Hell, I coulda been carrying a few guns in my coat and they wouldn't have known better. Maybe the name they scratched off the guestlist is the name of the club dealers, and they gave instructions not to seach me :confused:

So I get in, and wow, titties galore. But with tits came attitude, and lots of it. And the place is big, but too many walls make it seem really tiny. Upstairs is cool with the hot tub and all (which wasn't on), but that would be a great place to rent out for a private party, if only you could afford it.

The champagne was free?!?!?! DAMMIT!!

So I found a place near the back of the dancefloor. I wasn't going to try to go front center just to salute the dj. The sound where I planted myself was shit, but so it was everywhere. I just started dancing away.

The music, no flow, too many times where the music seemed to just stop. Some breakdowns that lead nowhere, and yes EFFING ANNOYING volume play. LOL, saying he begged people to cheer is so true. So many times he dropped the volume huge, looked out to the crowd expecting a cheer, and then had to trigger one with hand signals. I was expecting a cutting edge set with the latest tracks outta the WMC, I didn't want to recognize any tracks, sadly I did.

At around 3:30-3:45, the dancefloor emptied out. Huge gaps all over the place. So we moved up closer to the dj booth, and just planted ourselves there for a while dancing away. We left around 4 because we weren't feeling it so much anymore. The people that still danced only danced cause they were fucked. Give them a fisher price music maker and they'd dance. ALOT of people standing around. Like somebody said, they're only there to be seen.

I can't say we had a bad time. Security was actually nice to me when I asked him some questions about where places are in the club. I just can't say it's one of the better nights of the year at all.

Karim
Your review made me laugh... LOL :D

SJN

TRIBE Member
a few more thoughts now that I'm rested.

Lotus is clearly not designed for an event where the dj is the focus; the sound is average at best, the dancefloor too small and directly in a high traffic area and worst of all, the dj is only visible from a tiny portion of the club (not visible at all from the second (larger) room or from along the railing upstairs). I don't know about the rest of you, but I like to see the dj when I go out; this club definitely wasn't designed with people like me in mind.

As someone else said - definitely a 'Meow' feel......a 'see & be seen' crowd.....Lotus won't be getting another visit from me unless changes are made - I'll be passing on both Jimmy van M and Lavelle.

Seaman was definitely 'enhanced'; he was mashed. He was playing to entertain himself, not the crowd, and it showed. I was actually having a blast just watching him for a while, but the novelty of it started to wear off after a half hour or so - then the bunkness of his set started to set in; I think I trainspotted about 75% of his tracks and like Karim I was hoping not to recognize much - a supposed 'superstar' dj like Seaman, especially one who was at WMC all week, shouldn't be playing a set of classics from last summer.

vinder

TRIBE Member
first of all the positives of the place. i actually really liked the venue itself. lots of places to wander, that big fucking arm holding a discoball in the loungey area was way cool, and the champagne bar were really nice touches. it was very much meow 2. the staff that i spoke to were all really nice. if you smile, they smile back, go figure!

however, there were a few downers on the night. the biggest was the crowd. i've never been more pushed and shoved without regard for politeness in my life. at least at labour of love people said sorry or pardon me when they shoved by. here, people were putting shoulders into me, walking in trains of 20 people without regard for anyone else. this led vinder to become rage vinder within 30 minutes. i almost got into three fights and had to be pulled back from punching some dude in the back of the head. anyone who knows me knows i'm not a violent person by any means and i dont' get angry very easily. but this crowd was absolutely fucking terrible. i had to leave by 1:30 or for sure security would've thrown me out for smashing some 300 lb meathead's face in.

however, the thing is, overall i can't say i had a bad time. cause as bad as the crowd was, i had way too much fun making fun of them all. it was only the last half hour when it got too rammed and everyone became very rude that i had to make my exit. however, that last 30 mins was enough to make me consider never coming back to that place again.

BUT, with them bringing in some solid talent over the next little while i'm sure i'll give'r another go.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Karim

TRIBE Member
A few pics from the night.....

Ok everybody, lets play a game. How many chicks can we spot in this crowd?

You can sorta see the dj booth, tucked away back there, sorta...

Nobodies clapping, everyone's signalling to turn the effing volume back up

Umm, instead of any actual turntable work, dave thought he was in a rock band. HELLO, records = priority!!

Karim

organik

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Dave Seaman @ Lotus

Originally posted by ev

worst service ever because you got attitude back when you gave the guestlist girl attitude because she couldn't find your name?
WTF are you talking about? Attitude? you weren't even there!

Evan as I told you when I came into the club the girl doing the guestlist didn't have your list, I was polite to her and she was polite to me. Maybe you have me mixed up with somebody else.

You're obviously trying to defend the club you work at, which I don't blame you for, but bro get your facts straight!

Karim

TRIBE Member
Notice all the shaved heads? There were a ton of people that were pulling off the dave seaman look.

Karim

Karim

TRIBE Member
LOL. No denying, there were alot of ladies. But they didn't stick around very much past 3 am.

Karim