1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Dave Ralph and Parks and Wilson

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by Karim, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

So I get lost trying to find a parking spot. God it sucks being from St. Catharines. We get to the club and I was on the guest list. However, we show up 5 minutes after midnight, and now have to pay reduced. The bouncer/guestlist lady told me reduced was $15, however when going to pay, it was $20. Bummer.

So we get in, and the opening dj's are just closing up. We chilled in the breaks room at first for a bit and it was so much fun. Big League Chu and Dave Saddler were throwing it down nice.

I went up to catch some of dave ralph, but he couldn't get me into it at all. His records kept skipping, and he wasn't consistent.

So back to the backroom it was for a while, dancing away to stellar breaks.

Eventually we made our way up to catch P&W do their thing. I must say, I really really enjoyed their set. At first and for the most part, very very melodic and dreamy, really got people swaying.

We made trips back and forth to the backroom and the main room. Everytime I'd crave breaks, I'd go back (which was surprisingly often) and ditto for prog cravings. The people out tonight were supper friendly. Nice and chatty.

The club was pretty dead. I don't even think it peaked at half capacity. I guess everybodies saving themselves for the Guv party tonight.

We left around 6:30 back to st. catharines, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself Other than the admission mishap, it was great!

Shoutouts to Ryan and his crew for being so awesome. Party hard, party forever.

:)
    Karim

2. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

It was free before 11 and reduced after.

3. Metal Morphosis

Metal Morphosis TRIBE Member

Will
    my list is always free before midnight reduced thereafter

Sorry i missed this event due to a family emergency.

4. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

coleridge was solid.... nice groove to his set for sure.

Dave Ralph was pretty bad IMO. His set had no flow and was really lacking some energy... not what you'd want to here from 1-3am that's for sure.

P&W... definitely better then the last time they played system... the energy level was taken up about 10 points as soon as they came on.. some brutal trainwrecks here and there, but at least the music was good.

5. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Dude, it wasn't that bad!

6. Deko-ze

Deko-ze TRIBE Member

Parks & Wilson @ System

Yes. I had to bring my feet to the floor when they dropped Sieg & Mouzakis' "Talking In Your Sleep". Sick! They also dropped some fresh tracks I am dying to find. There was a James Holden-ish track they played about a half hour after that I NEED to find...

I had a great time last night. It is always good to see so many familiar faces and have that backed with solid tunes!!

See you all next week!

Michael Deko-ze

7. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

i would have liked to check out ralphie again after lovin' his set at the tribe anniversary party...however system wouldn't have been the same w/o my microphone sytlins' since i still don't have my full voice back yet :D ... & good to hear p&w played a nice set...

this would been a nice start to my vacation, but now that my move is complete, i can get out & enjoy the weekend...

jc

8. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

Got there early to hear Coleridge doing a stellar set, he had me dancing away long before midnight ever struck!

Dave Ralph had some ok tracks at times and the last 1/2 hr of his set was decent but overall I just wasn't feeling him. Though judging by the crowd's reaction, I know many others were enjoying his sound.

And then finally, Wilson took over!! Beautiful tunes and great energy... it was so worth sticking around for. Parks took over after 45 mins and kept the groove going well. A much better sound from these 2 compared with their last performance... when these guys are on they're on!

Left at 5 and there were still quite a few people left. Overall I thought there was a good sized crowd - Dave Ralph certainly had a packed dance floor!

-Tara.

9. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb TRIBE Member

Deko-ze was there? How in the hell did I miss you?! Geez...

And yeah, it wasn't packed, just an average number of people in there (I guess everyone's saving themselves for Labour of Love?).

I got there few minutes before 11 just to squeeze in for free, and was chilling in the VIP room enjoying the beats Dj Mute & Dj Reza provided for the first half of the night (good job guys!). Then we hit the main room around 1:30 and Dave Ralph was taking it real good on the crowd. I liked his tune selection, and mixing was just stellar (he barely used the headphones!). We stayed until maybe 45mins into Parks & Wilson's set, and ejected since we weren't really feeling the tunes.

And Richie, did I mention that Dave Ralph is my hero? :D

10. stanimal

stanimal TRIBE Member

for those that missed p&w, they will be playing at the zone sunday night from 7-10pm.

11. slingshot

slingshot TRIBE Member

move?
    vacation?

what is happening in this world?

ss

12. Metal Morphosis

For Real???

might be a nice warm up for LoL

especially since i live 2 blocks away.

L

13. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

Yeah mine too.

...but for this night, it was free before 11 and reduced after because it was a special event.

14. Chicago Kid

Chicago Kid TRIBE Member

Wicked night out...met tons of super friendly people. Big League Chu/Dave Saddler fuckin owned shit in the breaks room. The plaace was like a sauna but I thought the vibe was amazing...great tracks, especially that Moguai remix and the new version of L&B's "Shining Thru."

Parks and Wilson tore the roof of that biatch and dropped some wicked prog/breaks tracks, my highlight being the Atomic Hooligans' "Cowgirl" Underworld remix...at that point, I went off.

Stayed til close around 6:30-7am, met Mick and Mick and ended up going to an afters with Parks and my friends that had flown in from Chicago. After that we all went back to his hotel suite for some party favors and drinks...all on Mick (thanks dude, that Crown Royal hit the spot at 11am). We just chilled and listened to a bunch of his new stuff on CDR that hasn't been released yet and some of the acts that he has signed to his label...also, we heard a bunch of brand new soon-to-be-released TILT material (his project with Wilson and Quivver) and he told us that half of his set was unreleased stuff. All in all...a great night and slammin hospitality from the TO crowd and the Brits.

Hope to meet some of you tonight at Labor of Love...I'll be with a large crew going back and forth between Luke Fair/JZ and Hybrid. I'll most likely be up by the DJ booth for Hybrid cuz Parks is gonna introduce us to the Swansea lads...so find me there and say hi.

:cool:

15. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

I feel so special ;)

16. Metal Morphosis

i've never heard of them doing that.
    i would hope that they would tell me in advance if they're going to change the rules so i don't let the people on my list down by giving them false information.

if anyone on my list got reduced admission after 11PM instead of after midnight, please email me llebeer@hotmail.com

i'll be looking into this issue further.
    thanks for bringing my attention to it Will

Lisa

17. xtollo

xtollo TRIBE Member

Lisa, and this whole "my list" thing is cracking me up.

Ahh, it's nice to be back.

Good review Karim!

18. chipotle

chipotle Well-Known TRIBEr

Re: Parks & Wilson @ System

IMO
    Dave Ralph was up and down.. some tunes were truly amazing; hard driving pumping progressive but then he would loose the groove of his set and throw something totally different, all to pick it up again and do it again. In short his set was no consistent. However, I was kind of enhibriated and I had a lot of fun. I didn't think much of his programming but I had fun.

Parks and Wilson

First up was the wilson.... then it was Mick Parks.
    Anyways.. Mick Parks threw down an amazing set of uplifting tracks.. culminating with a remix of a chemical bros. track I think it is "Asleep from a day" off their Surrender album.. "fell asleep from a day... always missunderstood...got to tell you something..."
    That track was the highlight for me, very uplifting track with a touch of a subtle funky bassline in the background..not just melodic but very powerful track IMO. I couldn't stay until the end but I enjoyed my night a whole lot.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2003