• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Danny Tenaglia at Nest

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
OK, here's an old-style Tribe party review ... for those few who are missing them.

I am interested to know -- did anyone else go see Danny Tenaglia at Nest? Has Tribe officially stopped attending events like this? Are you attending other DJ shows? Should we ring the death knell? Back in the day, I am sure this party would have been full of Tribe posters but I really only ever met four or five people from this board so I can't say if any of the old crew was out? Maybe there were a few of you there, and possibly some of the newer posters? I hope so :). It was awesome.

I wanted to see Danny because I still like to go out and dance from time to time and I know when he's playing a long-ass set he'll have a ton of killer new tracks to mix in with some old ones and edits and what have you. The man is not to be seen at a festival or when he's playing for a few hours. Save your money. I am assuming everyone knows this but Peak Danny is in the morning when most people are eating their Cheerios or walking their dog. That's what I was calling that prime Danny section of his set when he was obliterating the room with tight mixes and awesome music - Dog-Walking Danny. I don't have kids and my ex has the dog, so I really enjoyed this breakfast club experience that took me back to my partying days. (My friend reminded us that me, her and her sister closed down Industry 15 years ago!?! with DT at the controls so it was very cool we were able to make it out together and see him back in Toronto again. Nostalgia!)

I got there just before 2, was able to snag a spot on the guest list through the friend I went with so already I was feeling pretty good about the night. The crowd there before Danny played was not the greatest. Just a weird mix, lots of dudes, I hardly knew anyone, which was a bit surprising as I thought a lot of the old heads would have come out. It was a good date - Friday of a long weekend, giving ample time for recovery for family obligations and work next week. In the end I guess I saw maybe 20 people I knew from my past and from now...not really a lot. But when I want to listen to DJs I guess I frequent Coda more than Nest and didn't know if there is much cross-over between the crowds at both clubs. Maybe a tad, I guess it depends on the bookings. Regardless, the system there is unreal. If you stand right in the middle of the dancefloor, it is killer. I know sound can be different for different people, but I really like how it's set up. Loud.

They recently renovated Nest, and it's pretty awesome inside. They have art installations - wooden slats all stapled together around the booth, the side bar and the back of the club, so it looks like a bird's nest. The lighting was a bit bright for a late night like this, but the place is full of old industrial style caged lights which I love and thy have an awesome mirror ball in the middle of the floor which reminded me of Industry. Can't go wrong with a giant mirror ball. Cool lights and some minimal lasers brought the mood strong for this show. The smoke machines have to go, hate that shit. Nest also removed the seating behind the booth which I understand because they wanted more space, but we could have used those sofas. The club was never rammed to capacity, not at any point that I was there. It was just nicely full, perfect really, until it started thinning out with just the hardcores remaining.

Sean Miller opened and I heard him play his last few songs... nothing to report. Danny came on and played pretty boring stuff at first, though it was a bit hard for early in the late hours I recall, but I wasn't really feeling it. My friend and I hung out, found seats at the side and chilled. As the crowd started to thin out, he start playing better (at least to my tastes) and by 6:30ish he was really finding his groove. Loads of bombs, one after another, dirty basslines and an assault of drums, twisted loops and just overall slammin techno. This went on for hours. It was amazing. My friend left well before me - she couldn't take it. I stayed - the music was great and that's what I wanted to experience. I left at 11:20?ish, as my back was starting to kill, tipped my cap in thanks to the man and went home.

If anyone is wondering, the morning crowd there was a mix of straights, not really too many pretty girls (thought that's not why you go out to see Danny), a few weirdos, and some topless gays but not hardly any compared to back-in-the-day DT shows, when the dancefloor would be a mass of sweaty, shirtless muscle gays. Guess his sound has evolved to stay current with today's audience - like Victor Calderone did as well - no vocals at all that night but he did drop a few classic tracks which made me smile. Can't remember them, they seemed "updated" but unmistakeable "oldies" from Danny.

Also, as the crowd thinned all the real dancers stepped up and I have to say much respect to Nest because people were dancing up a storm. Hardly anyone was chatting on the dancefloor. People were just dancing hard, and feeling the music. Very impressed and the whole shuffling thing that's going on is great! I guess I missed when this style arrived from the UK but it's all good. Shuffle on, kids!

All in all - I had a great time. The guy is a true legend and still has his fastball. He played for 12.5 hours with no breaks and there was ZERO people in the booth. He was just in the zone - playing on a laptop, amazing song after amazing song. Concentrating on every mix. Never broke his flow. That's impressive. He's 52 I think - seriously, I don't know if I can do anything for 12.5 hours. Respect.

Stop Bill C-10

diablo

TRIBE Member
It makes me glad that DT is still doing his thing, but yeah...like you said, there are very few things that I want to do for 12.5 hours, including be at a club. I'm super fickle when it comes to going out these days.

[/CarlsbergYears]

Sorry, not much to add to a review thread!

malicious motive

TRIBE Member
I was there from start to close at 3pm, when he played Four Tet's - 'Morning' as his final track ...just amazing!

seen him at the Docks and at the Industry closing, too....good times. He always delivers!

hummus

TRIBE Member
If anyone is wondering, the morning crowd there was a mix of straights, not really too many pretty girls (thought that's not why you go out to see Danny), a few weirdos, and some topless gays but not hardly any compared to back-in-the-day DT shows, when the dancefloor would be a mass of sweaty, shirtless muscle gays. Guess his sound has evolved to stay current with today's audience - like Victor Calderone did as well

This is why the scene in Toronto always sucked and It could never be compared to scenes around the world. Its not the politics of the city thats killing the scene, its not having a safe haven from non judgment that did it.

I recall a promotor for an after-hours on Spadina back in the mid 00s telling me they were adding a "gay night" on Friday only so the muscle queens won't show up for their Saturday nights (he told me that thinking i would be relieved with this new unveiling). surely enough the place shut down a few months afterwards.

Inclusivity not exclusivity could revive Toronto's so called 90s "heydays".

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
This is why the scene in Toronto always sucked and It could never be compared to scenes around the world. Its not the politics of the city thats killing the scene, its not having a safe haven from non judgment that did it.

I recall a promotor for an after-hours on Spadina back in the mid 00s telling me they were adding a "gay night" on Friday only so the muscle queens won't show up for their Saturday nights (he told me that thinking i would be relieved with this new unveiling). surely enough the place shut down a few months afterwards.

Inclusivity not exclusivity could revive Toronto's so called 90s "heydays".

I think you took what I wrote the wrong way. I have no problem with gays or straights or anyone in between. I prefer a crowd that is mixed with gays and straights 100%. It's a way better environment. I was just commenting on the make-up of the crowd. If the dancefloor was 90% shirtless men, my gay and lesbian friends would have commented the same way. It wasn't meant as an insult. Didn't mean to offend :)

hummus

TRIBE Member
I wasn't referring to only gays with their shirts off.
The term sketchy, freak and "sketch bag" gets thrown around way too often. I'm not attacking you personally but your comments are an indicator of how people are out there.
Going out in other cities is about meeting new people, sharing experiences and having a good time as a collective. That notion "if my friends are not there it suddenly becomes freak alley" needs to die.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Obviously you guys never had to take a leak at Industry in 1999

That bathroom was scary, son.

BTW I'm stealing the term "Freak Alley"

K thx.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Lol. Bathrooms at Industry weren't that bad.

Try some of the clubs and discos in the 80's.

Some funky freeKY stuff going on in those days.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders