• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Danny Howells

sohaness

TRIBE Member
good thread...i agree with a lot of what is being said.

it was also unthinkable for me to miss a howells set (i went solo on sat. night!), but yeah, after saturday, i dont think this would hold true anymore.

dont get me wrong, he played a good set, but i think a lot of us are expecting more out of him. he has set the bar really high for himself...but...i dont think he can do much except bang it out at a place like hool haus or guv for a 3hr set. hes played the guv complex so many times over the last few years. he needs a proper venue (and more than 3 hours!) to show us the real danny...

i would kill to see him do an open-close set at system.

steve.

poker face

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
i prefer his sound now more then ever.
then again, i'm not afraid of techno. :p
I have to agree with you Nesta. The last time I heard Danny I really enjoyed that he added the jackin tech house/techno shound into his sets. I have heard a few older sets by him recorded live and I wasn't really into it. But then again I am not a Howells follower so I guess I don't have much to add into this conversation. But I will say this that guy still manages to wrap the crowd around him everytime I hear him.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Betty Rubble

Nesta, tell me - what do you hear and what do you feel when you listen to techno? Help me understand. I can explain how I feel when I listen to Prog or House ... I don't get the emotion involved in techno but I would love to understand what to listen for.
betty, this is why i say people are afraid of techno. do you think all techno is hard, fast, soulless music? i know i used to think that way. then i started to be a bit more open-minded. techno comes in so many different forms. in fact, i've heard luke fair and matt coleridge thrown down some techno on a few occasions.

let me know when you guys are ready to hear some funky, uplifting techno, and i'll burn you a few mixes - andrew weatherall, laurent garnier, tyler stadius... the list goes on.

i listened to prog every single day for a very long time. then a few years ago, it all became too familiar, so stale, so boring. what did i do? i began to listen to techno, even though i knew nothing about it. what have i learned? techno IS forward. techno IS emotion. techno IS everything i've ever wanted in music. techno IS the missing link.

don't write something off that you know nothing about.

anyway, i'm off to smoke a j with my lil brother and buds.

good night y'all.

sohaness

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BarneyIllfingas
All the travelling is beginning to take its toll. He's wore out. It really shows in his appearance.
i just found a pic of howells from LOL in 2002...i wish i had a recent one to compare it to, but nevertheless he looks much older now than he did in this pic...

steve.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sohaness

TRIBE Member
i knew someone would give me that answer!

anyway i hope you dont misunderstand me. there was a point made in this discussion about how his dj'ing schedule has taken a toll on him - worn him out so to speak.

i am stating my opinion (in this case that i believe its true and that it's evident in his appearance)...and if writing essays in uni has taught me anything, its to always back up your points with proof...hence the pic.

steve.

SKIB

TRIBE Member
i'm lost

i thought he played an awesome set saturday night... but then again i'm always down for some harder, techier stuff... so it was absolutely fine by me to hear that style...

sure he may have bumped the decks a couple times and ran off with some broad... but who cares? i wasn't there to observe and criticize every move he made... the beats were flowin' and i was dancin'... i had a great time and nobody can take that away from me... from what my buddy tells me that girl was probably the hottest in the club anyways... what would you have done? ;)

i think people expect too much... IMO danny played a much more enjoyable set than anthony... but i enjoyed anthony's set for the most part too so it worked out well i guess...

MachoMan

TRIBE Member
Howells rules. He's always impressed me.

Kinkyfunktechnoprogtrancemadness.

Gotta agree with Nesta about the techno - filled a void when prog left - and continues to leave me - out to dry. Techno just becomes more and more interesting and moving while prog seems a bit tired.

Howells knows this all too well - the man knows how to pull in the techno.

BarneyIllfingas

TRIBE Member
don't write something off that you know nothing about.
Nesta, you speak like we haven't partied before. I have heard many techno DJs in the past live and on CD and Adri has heard many, many more than I. I think my above post indicated that I have enjoyed Techno sets before (Stacey Pullin, Derrick May); however, what I find Danny to spin is very lifeless. There is no bottom end, it is just a constant bang, bang, bang. I sat through five hours of it at Aria and then more at the Guvy the next night. I heard it for the majority of his set the last time he spun at the Kool Haus. If you find emotion in that you're the most open dude I know.

I find this style to be extremely exhausting both physically and mentally. I like to dance and when the tempo never changes it makes it really hard to keep up and maintain energy. I also like to groove a little, and there aint no groove when Danny's baning it out.

I've heard Tyler Stadius live and many sets of Laurent Ganier from the Net and have enjoyed them. My ears may be fooling me, but I do not hear the same beats coming from Danny. Tech-House, that I can get into. Mazi, Tyler, Terry Francis, I can deal with that. But Danny Techno, Sven Vath, sorry I'll pass. That's why I don't post in the Techno room.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
bah. i can't be bothered to type anything else. too much work to do. you don't like it, i do. let's leave it at that. :)

beatjunkie

TRIBE Member
This thread gets a big fat :rolleyes:

Who cares if BarneyIllfingas doens't like Danny Howells anymore, who cares if he went to the Kool Haus or not, who cares who he likes.

Danny Howells can still throw down proper (any style) whether is be House, Prog, Techno, DnB, Breaks orDown-tempo.
Regardless, there are not a lot of DJ's that can do all that while entertaining the crowd like he does, as a matter of fact I don't know 1. He has the ability to adapt to any environment and can please a crowd with a single smile. I love how the people that make comments on his appearence and how it has effected his style. OF COURSE IT HAS. They guys schedule is enough to kill anyone. Playing the same records every single night would drive someone mental let alone drive them to drink and party hard while he's doing it. Some of you act like you know everything *cough* try understanding what it is like in his shoes compared to some you are talking about.... they don't even compare.

For those that say techno has no soul, go to the house room if you want soul. Techno is about dark, dirty beats and I am sure there are some out there that have a connection with it so leave it at that.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beatjunkie

Danny Howells can still throw down proper (any style) whether is be House, Prog, Techno, DnB, Breaks orDown-tempo.
Unfortunately Toronto only gets to see the techno.

All we're saying is that it would be nice to see Howells' housy side for a change.

And Howells hasn't played prog in years ... and nobody is asking for him to start again.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
For those that say techno has no soul, go to the house room if you want soul. Techno is about dark, dirty beats and I am sure there are some out there that have a connection with it so leave it at that.
And if you want "emotion" ... go to the trance room. :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Danny H. was awesome when he was playing Tech. Back in 1999.
He had this sort of tech-trance sound, it was so dark. Listening to his Vancouver 1999 set right now. This is the Danny Howells I grew to love, then he brought the hard stuff in 2002 and I got even more interested. His Lovefields mix, his TLV stuff (he did phenominal sets in Tel Aviv last year). I even liked his eclectic essential mix. Live at Fuse... Shit the list goes on. 2002 was a great year for Danny H, but his Toronto appearances saw him dropping Prog and techno filler.

Every freaking time I see or hear about him in Toronto, he lacks.

Theres a class of DJ's I would rather see in montreal than Toronto, because based on my experience they dont seem to want to add that creative element to their sets in Toronto. Deep Dish and Danny howells are in this category and Steve Lawler has always been lacking in Toronto and fecking incredible in Montreal.

I alway shave this idea that DJ's think toronto cant "handle" it or something.

Anyways, this thread has made me minutely nostalgic so Im going through my howells collection this afternoon.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by EffinHard
... and Steve Lawler has always been lacking in Toronto and fecking incredible in Montreal.
i take it you were not there when he played the basement of element... twice! both sets were off the fucking hook! i'm not into his sound like i used to be, but the man has rocked toronto on numerous occasions.

SJN

TRIBE Member
ever wonder why us proglovers are so derided by fans of other genres? it's b/c of our penchant for overanalyzing and waxing poetic about this shit to no end.

as far as I'm concerned, danny still kicks ass - I wouldn't miss him at his next toronto gig, and I would make the drive for another marathon gig in montreal without blinking......if you don't like what he plays anymore, then so be it - there are plenty of us who do.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
i take it you were not there when he played the basement of element... twice! both sets were off the fucking hook! i'm not into his sound like i used to be, but the man has rocked toronto on numerous occasions.
I am specifically talking about the bigger gigs these guys have pulled in toronto.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr

I thought techno was essentialyl a celebration of machines... with machine sounds. But obviously there are certain records that have some soul or some poppy sound to them. Like some of the records that Michael Mayer palys in his fabric cd. The first and the third record are totally what I would called techno-pop. So not all techno is souless but is IMO is a bit much more given to sounding mechanical at times.

Last edited:

BarneyIllfingas

TRIBE Member
This thread gets a big fat :rolleyes:

Who cares if BarneyIllfingas doens't like Danny Howells anymore, who cares if he went to the Kool Haus or not, who cares who he likes.
My fan club gets bigger by the moment. :eek:

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Betty Rubble
I guess you are right nesta.. Sorry!

When does class begin? Sign me up!
sarcasm is anger's best friend. maybe i was being a bit harsh.
relax... it happens every day.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by EffinHard
I am specifically talking about the bigger gigs these guys have pulled in toronto.
Interesting ... I loved Steve Lawler's set at Guvernment a couple of weeks ago. So I guess that means everyone around here must have hated it. :)

SJN

TRIBE Member
i thought lawler's set at the guv the other week was killer as well....music-wise, it was one of the better sets I've heard in a while