1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Daniel Lanois seriously injured in a motorcyle accident

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by kirstenmeows, Jun 8, 2010.

1. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

This sucks...

OTTAWA — Musician and producer Daniel Lanois suffered multiple injuries in Los Angeles last weekend, forcing him to call off a summer tour with his new group, Black Dub. His July 2 concert at the Montreal International Jazz Festival is among the concert cancellations.

Tickets for the July 2 show will be refunded at point of purchase only, a jazz festival spokesperson said.

Although the extent of Lanois’s injuries remains unknown, he remains in the intensive-care unit of a Los Angeles hospital. A spokesman for his label, Jive Records, said Lanois expects to be released soon but will spend the next two months recovering. His recent projects also include producing Neil Young’s upcoming album.

Lanois, who's 58, had recently signed with Jive to release the first album by Black Dub, a new group that also includes superstar drummer Brian Blade and 22-year-old vocalist Trixie Whitley.

Lanois is also scheduled to release an autobiographical book titled Soul Mining this year, and is producing the new Neil Young album.

Born in Hull, Lanois grew up in Hamilton, opened a studio with his brother and went on to an illustrious career working as a producer with artists such as U2, Robbie Robertson, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel and Bob Dylan.

An avid motorcyclist who earned his motorcycle license on a Harley-Davidson Sportster when he was 16, Lanois said in an 2008 interview with The Citizen that he does not own a car, but has several motorcycles, including a high-performance BMW sport bike and an old Harley.

“We of the iron horse, we don’t mix up too many things together,” Lanois told The Citizen. “We concentrate on what we’re doing. We also exercise that part of our brain that embraces telepathy so we anticipate what people are thinking around us, which is what I do for a living, with my music."

When he’s riding a motorcycle, Lanois said he is able to focus. “I’m not on the phone. I’m not multi-tasking. I’m not trying to do too much. I’m concentrating on one thing at a time, which is part of what makes music beautiful, and what makes life beautiful.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: Daniel Lanois badly hurt in L.A. motorcycle crash

2. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Hope he gets better soon :(

One of my favourites.

3. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Bono, back surgery......Lanois, motorcycle crash....

What's going on with the U2 camp?

Betcha Edge is shitting his pants!

4. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

the name sounds vaguely familiar, but nothing about him does.

...and this is the story of how i learned about Daniel Lanois.

6. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

A producer who has produced a 1 or 2 artists/albums you may have heard of:

Production credits

7. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

^^^This.

8. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

he is probably the most influencial CDN producer aside from David Foster

9. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

10. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

anyway so next year the next U2 album will sound significantly different than more recent efforts.

There will be a lot more grunts and groans than usual. Ungghhh Ahhh Unnnhhh

11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

those grunts need some serious 'verb. does this mean there will be less chorus fx on the guitar

12. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i heard chad kroeger from nickelback will be producing

13. derek

derek TRIBE Member

a tie with elvis costello

hope he recovers quickly.

14. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Elvis Costello is British. Although he is married to Diana Krall, who is Canadian. ;)

15. derek

derek TRIBE Member

my world just shattered. for some reason i always thought he was canadian. i guess producing 'the specials' wasn't enough of a tip for me.

16. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Yeah. Only recently Canadian.