• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dancin up a cloud

the wiz

TRIBE Member
I remember so many people at the old techno events ( early Trancendance, Alien, Subb, Tunnel Club, etc...) who had distinct dancing styles. So unique that if you watched old rave footage, you could identify familiar ravers (even if they were only in silhouette) ......I think of Judy, Jesse Bones (rip), Oliver, Colin (Zodiac), Mike and Nicola Hughes,......so many great dancers. Lotsa flowey, waving hands back in the day. People looked more like wavy machines passing a circuit through their bodies. There was not much competition either. People simply appreciated each other's personal style......and often complimented each other on their tight moves. Went clubbin a few months ago.......hopin to see a new generation of ravers doin the electric boogaloo.....but to no avail.

Anyone care to list names they remember from the old scene who were unique, strong dancers that left an impression on them?

:) :)

the wiz

TRIBE Member
thanks mate.....:) I'm nearly 40, and felt like checkin if I still remember how I used to dance back in the day...ha ha :D

the wiz

TRIBE Member
I just remembered that one of the better nights at Tunnel Club was called "Knowledge"----they gave out black cards with a pumped fist on it.Did any Tribers actually save that Knowledge card? Oh, and I was thinkin about that dude Gadget(?) who i used to see with a cigarette hanging out of his ear......and a big black dude with a shaved head who wore a bomber jacket that said "Ravemaster" on the back....lol....memories.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I love this thread. It has be thinking hard. I'm totally tripping if the same gadjet is the same guy i'm thinking about.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
The DJ GaDJet. i'm really going back hard. He gave us all opportunities back in the day to play on a real system, and he's the man. If that's not the same guy, I'm off.

The guy breathes house music.

the wiz

TRIBE Member
It must be the same guy.....he was a black dude at all the early parties....had a smoke dangling from his ear....ya man, he was Mr. House.

Destro Sanchez busts hard steps.......and I remember Louis Jacob and Dirty Dale Arsenault being some top-shelf House dancers. Real foundation house moves.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
it was mc gadget and he fuckin stunk. single handidly ruined oodles of sets and used to sell pre rolled joints of garbage sess

praktik

TRIBE Member
This thread is inspirational. We should make it a Tribe Series.

Who knows when i'll do it, but one day I will update this thread and I think others should too!!

the wiz

TRIBE Member
And.....I would be amiss to not mention "The Fantastic Poppers", Liquorice Lloyd and Boogaloo Storm. In my humble opinion, they are some of Toronto's most old-school poppin and lockin team. Didn't see them at any vintage raves, but I did run into them often at graffiti expos and breakdance comps. They played a huge role in this city's poppin and liquid-dance community. Since they are from the first generation of poppin crews, they made sure other dancers knew the distinction between different dancing styles such as ticking, popping, locking, floating (side-float, back float -commonly known as a moonwalk--circular float).....these were all originally mime tricks....and many early dancers were influenced by two san francisco mimes named Shields and Yarnell. Many modern-day poppin and waving moves came from adaptations of early mime techniques. It was Storm from the fantastic poppers crew who explained the specific moves that go into each dance style. Examples of true "Locking" style can be seen in youtube videos of the "LA Lockers" from back in the 70's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E9IU1fO89U

and "Liquidpop Eric" from the liquidpop collective is just un-freakin believable in the way he passes a circuit through his body.....I danced with him at DEMF in 2002.....he was there with his crew....they all had matching shirts that said "Liquidpop Collective" on the sleeve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQYOUKQyIxE

Jesus murphy......Eric sets the benchmark for liquid-style.

the wiz

TRIBE Member
it was mc gadget and he fuckin stunk. single handidly ruined oodles of sets and used to sell pre rolled joints of garbage sess
I don't remember any of the music he played....lol....just the smoke in the ear......ha ha....garbage cess.....it's actually hard to find old-school sweet brown imported cess. There's just so much good, dispensary-grade weed goin around these days.....I bet the market for cess is much lower than it was in the 90's.....hell....I used to buy cheese dimes of cess in highschool. lol

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Wrong gaDJet. He's an Asian guy, the last I saw him he was running a night at Tota. He was a huge fan of Louie Vega, and brought him to Toronto.

the wiz

TRIBE Member
At DEMF 2002, I ran into Juan Atkins playing ultra-fast ghetto-booty techno......Liquidpop Eric and another member of his crew were beside the booth, practising finger-pops and subtle hand positions.....just to increase their overall flow.

Haven't seen Eric's video in ages......still blows me away every time.

the wiz

TRIBE Member
too many horns and "big-room" jazzy production for my taste.....I know Louis Vega is one of the original dudes, but I like more of a thick dub-tech style (early Chain Reaction, Kompakt label, Freude am Tanzen label....all great stuff)

Lotsa "Stacks" and mega delay and reverb, so the beats rattle and jingle around.....creating unplanned rhythms/melodies :)

All the early Maurizio records......top-shelf.

the wiz

TRIBE Member
props wiz!
thanks! ---- yes, please update this thread if you think of any old school fancy dancers from the old-guard

even better, if anyone has a stash of old photos from their rave days-----feel free to post a pic of a good dancer you remember :)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Wiz was the show, Chicken Jesse Bones (RIP), and me.

End of the night style, after the rest, out came the best.

#CarryOn
#bustmoves
#algorithm

the wiz

TRIBE Member
I remember you busting hard steps Bernnie! Fresh moves.......right in front of the speaker. Pitch black room, illuminated by a single bright orange intellebeam. You are so right Bernnie.....the heavyweight dancers often appeared in the morning, once the dancefloor was more empty. While others were wrappin up their night and lookin for cabs home.....we were crackin our knuckles and stretching......preparing to get a solid groove on... :D

morning dancers......squeezing-out the last drops before the long strange march home...ha ha

praktik

TRIBE Member
Sounds like us three woulda been a great team to carry things through the morning hours!!

I was also on robot-automate setting til the bitter end whenever I could!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Late shift for Life :D

A proper warm up is (was?) part of the routine, mandatory prep before I would begin working out and Being Free.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders