• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

daily serving of bullshit

deep

TRIBE Member
Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a
charm.
Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
[Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.
[Lisa refuses at first, then takes the exchange]

Plot to crash plane into L.A. tower was foiled: Bush

Last Updated Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:29:20 EST
CBC News

U.S. President George W. Bush says there was a plot to hijack an airliner and fly it into a Los Angeles skyscraper as a sequel to the 2001 attacks on New York and Washington.

The plotters planned to use "shoe bombs" to break into the cockpit, Bush said in a speech in Washington on Thursday.
U.S. President George W. Bush, Thursday.

Bush portrayed the United States and its allies as winning what he calls the war on terror. He spoke of a succession of al-Qaeda figures killed or captured, and said a number of plots were thwarted.

The Los Angeles plot was aimed at the tallest building on the West Coast, he said.

He called it the Liberty Tower, but apparently meant the Library Tower, a 73-storey office building facing the Los Angeles Central Library. The building was renamed US Bank Tower in 2003.

Bush, who is under fire for a practice of spying on phone and e-mail conversations without warrants, had previously said that intelligence efforts had foiled Sept. 11-like attacks on both U.S. coasts.

There have been reports that the Los Angeles tower was among the targets, but Bush had not previously named it.

He gave a bare outline of the plot:

"In the weeks after Sept. 11, while Americans were still recovering from an unprecedented strike on our homeland, al-Qaeda was already planning its next attack," he said.

"In October 2001, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attack, had already set in motion a plan to have terrorist operatives hijack an airplane using shoe bombs to breach the cockpit door and fly the plane into the tallest building on the West Coast.

"We believe the intended target was Liberty Tower in Los Angeles, California.

"Rather than use Arab hijackers as he had on Sept. 11, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed sought out young men from Southeast Asia, whom he believed would not arouse as much suspicion."

As Bush described it, the would-be hijackers were found through Asian intermediaries.

"Once those operatives were recruited, they met with Osama Bin Laden and then began preparations for the West Coast attack.

"Their plot was derailed in early 2002 when a Southeast Asian nation arrested a key al-Qaeda operative. Subsequent debriefings and intelligence operations made clear the intended target and how al-Qaeda hoped to execute it.

"This critical intelligence helped other allies capture the ringleaders and other known operatives who had been recruited for this plot. The West Coast plot had been thwarted."

Bush did not say why he was making the information public now or why he had not done so before.

acheron

TRIBE Member
gotta keep the fear level up or else people will notice he's done more to damage their 'freedom' than Osama could ever dream.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by acheron
gotta keep the fear level up or else people will notice he's done more to damage their 'freedom' than Osama could ever dream.
Bush: Hey! I heard that! I mean....uh....carry on.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
"My administration is completely corrupt and full of shit, so here's a story about something we done right a few years ago!! Just trust me on this one."

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Didn't they already have a shoe bomber? And didn't he foil his own plans with his inability to actualy light his shoe-bomb?

And hasn't the FAA continued to allow passengers to carry on several books of matches and multiple lighters *despite* such a precedent?

Ahhh... it's fantastic. It's like you can almost hear the progress being made.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
Didn't they already have a shoe bomber? And didn't he foil his own plans with his inability to actualy light his shoe-bomb?.
Richard Reid, he was a Brit though, and was trying to do that on the Paris to Miami flight over the Atlantic ocean.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
this is only the beginning of bullshit terror announcements this year. Expect many an orange alert to come out along with 'found' information outlining large terror attacks this year.

Mr. Rove's Republican strategy this year will focus on the war on terror in hopes of swaying voters to keep voting GOP in the elections this year.

deep

TRIBE Member
"I have an idea, we'll take a bunch of things that have happened, say they all happened at once, but we stopped them this time!"

"Brilliant! Should we say this all was supposed to go down in New York, or would that be pushing it?"

"Keep the building gimmick, but let's flip it over to the opposite coast, so we get maximum coverage and the midwest doesn't start thinking they're safe."

*high fives all around*

basilisk

TRIBE Member
Maybe it's a dumb question, but what would you suggest the administration say if they really DID foil a plot?

Lurker

TRIBE Member

And hasn't the FAA continued to allow passengers to carry on several books of matches and multiple lighters *despite* such a precedent?
Thanks the tobacco lobbyists for that. Gotta light up when I get off the oppressive non-smoking flight

Katman

TRIBE Member
2 more years of this fucking lunatic... next up? Jeb Bush. The trifacta of Religious right zealots will be complete.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Didn't they already have a shoe bomber? And didn't he foil his own plans with his inability to actualy light his shoe-bomb?

Ahhh... it's fantastic. It's like you can almost hear the progress being made.
Lighters and matches are being confescated on all US flights.
It happend to me several times last year.

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
"Their plot was derailed in early 2002 when a Southeast Asian nation arrested a key al-Qaeda operative. Subsequent debriefings and intelligence operations made clear the intended target and how al-Qaeda hoped to execute it.

"This critical intelligence helped other allies capture the ringleaders and other known operatives who had been recruited for this plot. The West Coast plot had been thwarted."
this isn't exactly a great way to justify the wiretaps or boast about the accomplishments of the NSA, as he's admitting basically that if it weren't for some unnamed southest asian nation finding this guy they never would have known.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: daily serving of bullshit

Originally posted by why not
this isn't exactly a great way to justify the wiretaps or boast about the accomplishments of the NSA, as he's admitting basically that if it weren't for some unnamed southest asian nation finding this guy they never would have known.
all they really care about is using the WoT to keep enough support in GOP hands this year so that even if the wiretapping scandal turns out to be illegal, congress won't do shit about it.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a
charm.
Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
yup.

Anyways, it's 'specious reasoning'

I should know

Gotta go into the archives when there isn't much progress in the war on terror right now.

I bet he's just covering up for being called a Loser by the Al Quida #2 that they tried to bomb and missed.

global_groove6

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
"My administration is completely corrupt and full of shit, so here's a story about something we done right a few years ago!! Just trust me on this one."
"If it wasnt for me and the 500 billion dollars I spent on the military last year, this attack would have happend already, I just saved your asses!"

BTW I live in LA now and I've never seen so many bush haters in my life. they are all over the street holding up signs down the street from my work.

Onthereals

TRIBE Member
Mayor, White House clash over release of info on terror plot

By: MICHAEL R. BLOOD - Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said Thursday he was blindsided by President Bush's announcement of new details about a purported 2002 plot to crash a plane into a city skyscraper, but the White House and state officials said the mayor's office was contacted.

"I'm amazed that the president would make this (announcement) on national TV and not inform us of these details through the appropriate channels," the mayor said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I don't expect a call from the president -- but somebody."

In Washington, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said the administration "did reach out to officials in California and Los Angeles to let them know, I think it was yesterday, that the president would be talking about this."

Villaraigosa later confirmed that City Hall was called Wednesday by state officials in Sacramento. But that information was only general, city officials said, giving no hint that the announcement would contain extensive new details on the hijacking plot that would set off a new round of anxiety over terrorism in the nation's second-largest city. That message never reached the mayor.

"I would have expected a direct call from the White House," Villaraigosa said at a City Hall news conference.

In addition, the mayor said he had twice pushed for meetings with Bush on visits to Washington to discuss security risks in the city. Those requests were made "to no avail," Villaraigosa said.

A spokesman for Matt Bettenhausen, California's homeland security chief, said he personally contacted a deputy mayor Wednesday afternoon with advance notice of the president's comments.

"We were assured that that information would go to the mayor," said Chris Bertelli, spokesman for the state Office of Homeland Security.