1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Dada

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Harmonika, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Harmonika

Harmonika TRIBE Member

DA

DA

DA

[​IMG]
    Absurdist behaviour? What the fuck does "absurdist" mean? Would someone please fill me in about these guys? Just staring at this picture is hurting my braaaain...

i.

2. Harmonika

Harmonika TRIBE Member

Ya know, I think I'll run for Prime Minister sometime soon.

My first big thang to do, once elected, would be to get one of those mini-bulldozers and clean out the inside of the Queen's Park building. Then I'd bring in Steve Dash, have him throw up one of his kickass soundsystems, and throw an inaugural rave.

The front lawn would be used for a javelin and ye olde ninja throwing star competition, so I wouldn't go out there, were I you. Best to stay indoors and watch through the windows.

Oh yeah, and free Underoos for everyone!!!

:D

i.

3. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

just go ahead and pull the trigger... sweet release... come on... do it...

4. Harmonika

Harmonika TRIBE Member

I'm still waiting for someone to explain this whole DADA thing to me...I've been looking for it on the 'Net for ages, and can't seem to find any info...a little help here? Someone must have a book or something.

Anyhoo, the freakiest thing just happened to me - I was over at the park, and found a kids drinking box (the tetra-pak kind) sitting by the swings. I was a little bit thirsty, so I took a sip.

*WOAH*

I think it must have been laced with PCP or some other deviant substance, because now I am hiiiigh as a kite! The whole room is filled with swirling colours, and the music I'm listening to sounds like a weird combo of Stevie Wonder and Johnny Cash.

At least my fingers are still working...think I'll just pull the blinds down and stay in until it subsides.

i.

5. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

I don't get you- never have, never will.

Thankfully ive been ignoring you for a while- scanned some shit you wrote- and just find it a bit .. ok way more than a bit- MUCH too preachy.

youre like a salesman trying to sell flowers in an Italian neighborhood.

wrong place wrong time. go to manila or bolivia or wherever the fuck you were headed already.

6. todiefor

todiefor TRIBE Promoter

7. Harmonika

Harmonika TRIBE Member

K, I'm feeling a bit better, my friend just got home, and he helped talk me down.

So, to celebrate, we're going to go roam around downtown, maybe mug some people on Bay Street and try to chop down the CN Tower with a hatchet.

Wish us luck!

i.

8. Harmonika

Harmonika TRIBE Member

...and why the heck won't anyone explain what this whole DADA thing is??? I'm so confused, my brain feels like it's going to implode. That, or turn into BLUE CANDYFLOSS.

The walk should help - be back in a few...

i.

9. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

Javelin and Ninja stars at a rave?

That's the worst idea in a long and pathetic history of really bad ideas.

10. JuJuHound

JuJuHound TRIBE Member

Dada (French: "hobby-horse"), nihilistic movement in the arts that flourished primarily in Zürich, New York City, Berlin, Cologne, Paris, and Hannover, Ger. in the early 20th century. Several explanations have been given by various members of the movement as to how it received its name. According to the most widely accepted account, the name was adopted at Hugo Ball's Cabaret (Café) Voltaire, in Zürich, during one of the meetings held in 1916 by a group of young artists and war resisters that included Jean Arp, Richard Hülsenbeck, Tristan Tzara, Marcel Janco, and Emmy Hennings; when a paper knife inserted into a French-German dictionary pointed to the word dada, this word was seized upon by the group as appropriate for their anti-aesthetic creations and protest activities, which were engendered by disgust for bourgeois values and despair over World War I. A precursor of what was to be called the Dada movement, and ultimately its leading member, was Marcel Duchamp, who in 1913 created his first ready-made (now lost), the "Bicycle Wheel," consisting of a wheel mounted on the seat of a stool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------