• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Da Vinci Code

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Anybody else read this one yet ?
Got it as an Xmas present and cant put it down.
All the references they make in the book turn out to be true.
Like , who knew the original prime meridium actually went right thru a church in Paris ?

Cool stuff. Best thing I have picked up since Life of Pi.

Read on.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
got this for xmas as well from my mom who loved it....i just started it last night, but it'll have to wait until i get through my IS/LM assignment...:mad:

c.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
i heard lots about this book - picked it up this week but have yet to start it. Looking forward to cuddling with it in bed this weekend :)

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Opus Dei actually built a head-quarters in NYC and there are all sorts of conspiracy theories with the Priory of Sion.
And thats all I am gonna say.......

[ well , that and I feel like going out and starting my own cult ]

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lok

TRIBE Member
sooooo good.

the sequel is also really good, and its about the Illuminati.

Angels and Demons

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Bought it for my dad for Xmas...want to read it after him (so it was a selfish gift!). On my Xmas vacation I saw about 8 people reading it on the beach, the airplane etc.

~jen

jobearon

TRIBE Member
I just finished this and totally devoured it, but still found myself unable to believe Brown's assertion that the novel was 'based on research'. See comments below. (written for something else) (oh, and there are some spoilers, if you haven't read it)

During a classics seminar last semester, my professor raised a point relating to the unknown location of Mary Magdalene's remains. A student timidly raised her hand and said she "read somewhere" that they were actually underneath the pyramid at the musee du Louvre.

Forget the notion of "post-9/11" for a second and think, instead, about the "post-Da Vinci Code" era.

Like any good young intellectual, I turned my nose up at Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. Grossly popular pulp fiction almost always lacks quality, I told myself. Since last summer, however, it has been impossible to avoid. A friend told me that her rabbi used it as his sermon topic during Rosh Hashanah. On every plane ride I took over the past year, there would be at least one person absorbed in the familiar maroon hardback and, inevitably, the passengers around him would enthusiastically form an impromptu book club; ruddy-faced tourists roasted on their pool chairs toting Da Vinci Code along with Us Weekly on a Christmas vacation in Mexico.

But after my sister, an Lit graduate student, admitted she had finished the book in two nights, I broke down and read it. My thoughts? It was good. Really, irresistably, good- the literary version of crack.

The problem with The Da Vinci Code is that essentially every detail is fictionalized. This may seem like an obvious feature of a fictional novel; however, theologians and art historians are incensed at Brown's insistence the book is based on meticulous research and historical fact: the book is prefaced with a note conclusively declaring its subject matter to be 'based on accurate research'. The novel discusses, among other things, pagan symbolism in Christian art, the idea of the Sacred Feminine, the Priory of Sion, the Holy Grail and the divinity of Jesus. Throw in some famous paintings, a few allusions to the golden ratio, an albino monk assassin and a wild police chase across Europe, and you have one serious page-turner. As Harvard professor Robert Langdon, Parisienne cryptologist Sophie Neveu, and British Royal Historian Leigh Teabing claw through codes and histories, unearthing delightfully rich conspiracies and ancient secrets, the reader feels himself, too, to have been enlightened by Brown's "objective" depiction of a "lost" history.

Religious writers have begun countering the novel with their own books with names like Breaking The Da Vinci Code. Churches around the country are hosting discussions to offer their congregations the "actual" historical accounts. (Set aside for a minute the argument that any Biblical rebuttals are possibly just as fictionalized as Brown's story.) No, Jesus was never married, they say. No, Mary Magdalene did not give birth to his child. No, Christ's divinity wasn't established by Constantine in the fourth century.

Art historians and other scholars, as well, are pointing out the book's fictional truths. One of these such truths is the supposed existence of a secret society, known as the Priory of Sion, founded in 1099 and with a membership including Isaac Newton and Victor Hugo. According to New Testament scholar Ward Gasque, the Priory "was created in the 1970s and used forged documents that were slipped into the national library in Paris. No historian believes there's any historical basis to it."

In Leonardo da Vinci's mural of the Last Supper, the figure seated to the right of Jesus is identified by Brown as Magdalene. The most widely accepted view among art historians, however, is that the person is actually St. John. Also under fire is Brown's sketchy knowledge of da Vinci. Most significantly, Brown repeatedly refers to him in the book as "da Vinci." Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of the historical figure would know his name is Leonardo and "da Vinci" merely denotes where he was from. This is the equivalent of referring to Jesus as "of Nazareth."

In the novel, Brown says "every faith in the world is based on fabrication ... every religion describes God through metaphor. The problems arise when we begin to believe literally in our own metaphors." Though arguably true, Brown's presentation of such controversial ideas, in the form of pulp fiction intended to "educate" the masses with inaccurate theories presented as facts, is irresponsible.

All this aside, I still implore you to read the book if you haven't - it's sooo good!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
It's a great fucking story, total literary crack action. Read it in about 4 days. After you do that, hit up the other book with Robert Langdon Angels & Demons.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Great Content, Poor Writing / Style.
I found the book to be VERY thin. As in, Brown seemed more obsessed with promoting these theories of Christ, "The Grail", Opus Dei, and Da Vinci, then puting together a solid story around it all. Its like a hardy Boys mystery with a TONNE of research.

It felt like a self-educational video on symbology, you know the ones where they show a teacher and a student, and the teacher is helping the student lead themselves through a calculus problem instead of giving them the answer.

7/10 entertaining, but lacked literary substance.

stryker

TRIBE Member
I just finished Angels and Demons yesterday and I really enjoyed it. The ending was dope!

I'm going to pick up a copy of the DaVinci Code on payday. Most of the things he writesa bout have been known for a while. I've had a personal fascination with the Holy Grail, The Templars and alternate theories of the crucifixion for the last 9 years.

Most of the books dealing with this ideas are very textbook-ish and boring to read if you're not the kind of person who likes that type of content.

If anyone has an old copy of the Davinci Code that they want to sell let me know.

Stew

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by moose-meat
How do you find out stuff like this ???:)
There's a little invention called "television" that regularily pumps out current entertainment information.

It's quite fascinating.. at times.

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
Have no one noticed that Dan Brown is a bad writer? He has his research down, but other than that it's just bad. Though most people are just entralled by his 2 page chapters to notice.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
if everyone wants to take this work of fiction way too seriously they can waste their time and energy; fine by me. I think it's funny.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Its just a book. Decent read for a day at the cottage.

I could write more , but I gotta sneak outta here and go golfing.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories