• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Curling iron and straighteners - please help!

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
The other half told a mutual friend her "wish list" for xmas and a couple of the items where these hair things. lol

So what are good curling irons and straighteners to get? Is a flat iron the same as a straightener? What are some to avoid? price range? and where can i buy them? Little mom and pop stores are no good unless you live in Vancouver :)

Jay

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
yes a straightener and flat iron are the same thing.
I cant really help you with brands.
***If you go to the Hair Thread - in the girls forum, on the most recent page skyparty has actually posted a whole bunch about flat irons. (theres probably a shit load more in there if you read all the pages).
I would go to a "hair supply" store to buy it, not walmart or zellers or something. If was going to buy one here it would be from a place called "Chatters", but thats the only store we have here lol. a good flat iron will likely cost at least $100 bones, de shit aint cheap, if its cheap its probably shit. dont get a shit one, it will just be shit and she wont bother using it. getting a good flat iron is important.
getting a good curling iron isnt as important, a curling iron is a curling iron (i imagine someone will post that I am wrong about this, but I dont often use a curling iron these days). why? because I use hot rollers. I like hot rollers over a curling iron, cause my hair doesnt keep curl and I find hot rollers work better for me as I have heavy thick straight hair. you could consider those as well, again you will want good expensive ones, not cheap shit ones.
you could also do some amazon googling and stuff, and read some reviews to see what people liked.

Last edited:

skyparty

TRIBE Member
Actually ceramic is ok, but you can do better.

FYI Chi Straighteners (the standard model) is ceramic COATED. It says so in the fine print, so while everyone loves a brand name like Chi, and you can find them for very cheap online, it is not your best option. That is lowest on the todem pole in terms of plate quality as it's really only a step up from straight metal. Some people swear by Chi, but to me the regular price is almost $200 and for that kind of plate quality you are throwing your money away.

So this how the straightener plate technology goes..oldest to newest

Any form of Metal (bad, no longer sold)
Ceramic coated
*Ceramic
*Ceramic and Tourmaline
*Tourmaline
*Titanium
*Nano Silver Titanium
*Nano Silver

NANO SILVER (anything) is your newest/most top rated technology.

Anything labelled with a * is good to get, but watch for straighteners from Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart, Superstores, ETC. A lot of them claim to be of good plate quality, and claim to be hot, but the fact is that they actually only need to contain a fraction of what the plate technology is to actually say that. They also do not, and i repeat DO NOT get the same heat distribution as professional straighteners no matter how hot they say they get. you are wasting your money.

Professional straighteners start around $89 and can go up to $300 or even $400 dollars. You do not need a $400 straightener to get a decent result; however, you get what you pay for in quality and as long as you hair isn't African American, thick and majorly curly- you will really only notice a difference when it comes to heat and personal style. Especially if you're jsut recently upgraded from non-professional quality.

In terms of sizing, get a 1" straightener. It's a standard size, and it's also cheaper than getting anything bigger. The bigger you go, the less you'll be able to really get to the root of the hair shaft.

There are zillion labels out there, and while brand names are good, there are tons of other straighteners out there that will do the same job- as long as they are PROFESSIONAL quality. Hit a good reputable SALON, and ask around. What are the hairdressers using? do they sell flat irons there? what is the warranty/return policy? Then hit a Beauty Supply and see if they sell the same one. There is lots of junk straighteners hanging around Sally Beauty Supply, so buyer beware.

quick note about CURLING IRONS.

Babyliss which, by the way, also sells great long lasting straighteners and amazing hair dryers, IS THE BEST CURLING IRON BRAND TO GET. No,not all curling irons are the same, and this comes down to professional quality and heat distribution. Babyliss irons get HOT. I'm talking like 400 degrees ish. They have a killer warranty, and they stand the test of time. They have also kept up with technology. They started as ceramic, then went on to tourmaline, and are now making nano-silver irons. So get her one of those, and don't even bother looking at any other kind. trust me. (Isinis is popular, but they haven't upgraded their technology and I will only buy/recommend their tripple barrel waver)

Price in retail: $50-$70 depending on where you shop. I never did upgrade my ceramic ones, and they're still amazing. Just sayin' (if you want to save a few bucks)

Back to straighteners.

Lots of straighteners CURL these days. So you can actually spend a bit more, get a great quality straightener, and forget the curling iron altogether.

So ask for a "twist, straighten, curl" straightener with ceramic (or better) technology, 1" plates (easier to curl too) and make sure the straightener gets anywhere from 410-450 degrees. The hotter the straightener, the better she will love her hair.

Now having said that, you cook a chicken at that temp, so GET A HEAT PROTECTION SPRAY. If you are planning to forget the curling iron as a seperate item, then get a spray that is both light weight with a medium hold so she can use it for both.

If you want to ask me about brand names.... you can PM me. Otherwise, this should get you started ;)

Last edited:

skyparty

TRIBE Member
NOTE: If you travel a lot, the only brand name I have used/recommended is a ZAZEN straightener. They are universal, and so far the only ones I know of that actually stand up to that and will not blow up on ya ;)

skyparty

TRIBE Member
For everyone else:

Always remember: NEVER wrap the cord around your straightener. It will both defunct warranty, and potentially cause you to lose power which is the #1 reason why people bring straighteners back (in my opinion). Wrap it in bow-like fashion at the ends.

Example: (edit, sorry it's so big)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
wow I know so much about appliances now, as soon as my hair is long enough I want a new curling iron now i know what to look for

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
So this how the straightener plate technology goes..oldest to newest

Any form of Metal (bad, no longer sold)
Ceramic coated
*Ceramic
*Ceramic and Tourmaline
*Tourmaline
*Titanium
*Nano Silver Titanium
*Nano Silver

NANO SILVER (anything) is your newest/most top rated technology.

)
so the next obvious step is gold. none of us will be able to afford straighteners once they made out of gold.

skyparty

TRIBE Member
When I mentioned the lower price point, AVANTI is exactly what came to mind. Avanti's are good straighteners, for a low price. I see they've upped their heat (they use to only get to 410) to 446, so that's a huge plus! (max is 450) AND I see they have universal voltage now which is also a huge plus! They've done some upgrades in the last little while I see! Good :) because I always liked their straighteners (for the price), but had an issue selling it to ladies with thick curly hair because it just didn't get hot enough.

You were looking at the Ultra Nano Silver Tourmaline one, right? Great plate quality.

You picked yourself a good one :) I'm sure she will love it! Now you don't need a curling iron because it twists, straightens AND curls too! (unless she's dead set on having both)

and don't forget that Heat Protector!!! :) and make sure she wraps the cord properly. I see one review on there saying the straightener stopped heating up within the year, and I can almost 100% guarantee you that's a cord issue ;)

If she ever needs to clean the plates from gunk (build up of product and such over time) alcohol and water on a piece of rag will make it new again.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
When I mentioned the lower price point, AVANTI is exactly what came to mind. Avanti's are good straighteners, for a low price. I see they've upped their heat (they use to only get to 410) to 446, so that's a huge plus! (max is 450) AND I see they have universal voltage now which is also a huge plus! They've done some upgrades in the last little while I see! Good :) because I always liked their straighteners (for the price), but had an issue selling it to ladies with thick curly hair because it just didn't get hot enough.

You were looking at the Ultra Nano Silver Tourmaline one, right? Great plate quality.

You picked yourself a good one :) I'm sure she will love it! Now you don't need a curling iron because it twists, straightens AND curls too! (unless she's dead set on having both)

and don't forget that Heat Protector!!! :) and make sure she wraps the cord properly. I see one review on there saying the straightener stopped heating up within the year, and I can almost 100% guarantee you that's a cord issue ;)

If she ever needs to clean the plates from gunk (build up of product and such over time) alcohol and water on a piece of rag will make it new again.
Awesome ! Thank you again.

Stocking stuffers? This is where I suck the most! haha :)

Jay

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
I like chocolate money in my stocking. its not xmas without chocolate money. oh and a terrys chocolate orange.
I also asked for black nail polish, i dont really wear nail polish cause my nails are shit, but I want it anyway.
nice soaps/washing stuff?
fancy nail files ( they have these new fancy glass nail files, I dont know what those are all about).
fake nails.
body sprays.
you could just fill it with shit from shoppers drug mart, we like shit from shoppers, we dont even care if we'll ever use it, we just like that shit.
a diamond ring.
hair elastics or clips.
I dunno, I think everyones family fills stocking with different kinds of things, so I think thats kinda personal as to want you want to stuff her sock with.

skyparty

TRIBE Member
i think stockings are very personal. everyone is different.

i like:

-professional hair products i use often
-gift cards for fave stores
-perfume (you can usually score free samples at sears)
-underwear
-socks
-body stuff
-deodorant
-face care
-nail care (polish, polish remover, cuticle care, base coat, top coat, quick dry spray etc)
-hair accessories
-chapstick
-chocolate
-hot chocolate mix
-dvd/blue ray
-book

Anything small/sample-ish that you can get for cheap or free is always fun.

I find that stocking stuffers can get pretty pricey, so pick a few things you want to spend the extra few bucks on and go nuts with the sample sizes/dollar store/shoppers items.