• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cubase SX

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Sorry guys this is a dumb question.............but i just started using Cubase SX, and im going insane looking for the piano roll..ive checked some cubase quick guide but have had no luck, does it even exist? If so where is it?
Someone please help.
 

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Fuck another question.............i dont have a keyboard/midi controller or whatever, and im trying to get a VSTi down with some sound recorded(thats what i wanted the Piano roll for).But it wont let me in there (Key editor). Maybe im doing everything wrong here:confused:

Does anyone know how to get a VSTi setup w/o a keyboard/midi thingy where i can record some shit?

Sorry totally new to Cubase:D
 

beaker

TRIBE Member
i'm not sure if this is what you mean, but try drawing an empty part on the midi track you're working on in the main edit window using the pencil tool and then double click the part with the arrow tool.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

hysterical

TRIBE Member
^^^ Well technically i still use Logic at school..................but at home i stopped using it, just because i use all virtual instruments, Logic and even Cubase are not designed for that kind of use.There more for recording and midi, shit like that.Theres much better programs out there for just strictly VSTi instruments.
But when i do my mix downs ill run the tracks through logic or Sonar. Really though, i just wanted to see all the hype over Cubase SX. And to be honest with you i dont like it at all. Personally i think Sonar producer is rocking the boat right now. But again this is just my personal opinion;)
 

ludikris

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by hysterical
^^^ Well technically i still use Logic at school..................but at home i stopped using it, just because i use all virtual instruments, Logic and even Cubase are not designed for that kind of use.There more for recording and midi, shit like that.Theres much better programs out there for just strictly VSTi instruments.
But when i do my mix downs ill run the tracks through logic or Sonar. Really though, i just wanted to see all the hype over Cubase SX. And to be honest with you i dont like it at all. Personally i think Sonar producer is rocking the boat right now. But again this is just my personal opinion;)
"i use all virtual instruments, Logic and even Cubase are not designed for that kind of use."...

Dude.. you must be kidding making a statement as retarded as that... ...

quoted from the first thing I found in google ...

http://www.swarsystems.com/FAQ/192.htm

"VSTi's are not standalone softwares. You require a VST2 - compatible host application or a sequence such as Cubase, Nuendo or FruityLoops to run them"

lordy...
:confused: :confused: :confused:
 

hysterical

TRIBE Member
i wasnt saying you couldnt use cubase or logic w/ VST's...........................i was just stating that there are much better programs out there if thats all you are going to use it for.
And what i meant was the developers didnt design the software around VST's.
Although i think steinberg was the first to come up with the whole vst thing ( i think ) for effects plug-ins or some shit

Lordy....
:confused: :confused: :confused:
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

hysterical

TRIBE Member
It all really depends on what you plan on doing with the VST's really.
Personally id go with something like Orion Platinum or even Project 5, or on the low end, Fruity loops.
Cubase and all those big ass sequencers have layers apon layers, too much shit to go around. Any virtual stido is meant/built for this shit , except reason.
I myself use Orion Platinum, awsome program i must add, ill lay down my shit in there then save each track, then throw them in logic or Sonar for the mastering side, and yes, then i will use vst plug-ins:D
 

ludikris

TRIBE Member
I dont know how you believe there are much better programs out there for running vst's or vsti's than steinberg's cubase from which it originated...

remember, it's called cubase vst ... that pretty much says it all.

everyone else like logic and digital performer and cakewalk had to adapt to the vst format in order to be able to host them... ie.. the cakewalk vst wrapper etc...
 

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Seriously bro, you totally are not getting what im saying here man...i really dont give a fuck who made VST............all i am saying is, are you listening...........That i think if you were ONLY using VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS, there are more programs better suited for just the virtual studio VST thing.
You should know all this if you want to charge $25 /hr for lessions right.

Here ill send you Cubase SX and Orion platinum with a bunch of VSTinstruments and you tell me what one is more easier/practical for VSTI's? Ok?
 

ludikris

TRIBE Member
remember we're talkin about host programs for vsti's and vstfx.. not standalone virtual studio programs....like reason or orion or project 5..

You say..."Cubase and all those big ass sequencers have layers apon layers, too much shit to go around. (-- what does this mean ?? --- >Any virtual stido is meant/built for this shit , except reason."

After listening to what you had to say, I think programs like cubase and logic are a bit over your head at this stage in the game or you haven't been shown or taught anything. After all you admitted you were asking what you refer to as dumb questions... referring to things as "midi thingy" etc....

In the end... your making a judgement call on a program that you have no clue on how to run.

That would be like me saying that AutoCad sucks when I know diddly about drafting...
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ludikris

TRIBE Member
stability is a huge factor.. since vst was created by steinberg it's highly unlikely that a 3rd party program like orion is gonna be more stable than anything steinberg creates to host vst's

Cubase VST and SX did win sequencer of the year... So, I doubt it would win if another program did a better job of hosting vst's.

Maybe you wanna sign up for a lesson ?? I'll cut you a deal :p
 
Last edited:

ludikris

TRIBE Member
all I know is you said " I use virtual instruments, cubase and Logic are not designed for that kind of use.."

That sentence there is why I replied...
 

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Alright lets drop the Cubase topic, because your right i dont know shit about cubases thingys.Logic i do off the back of my hand.
First this is getting to out of hand, really its all about personal taste. And i was never refering to a certain host just VSTi in general.

QUOTE:"You say..."Cubase and all those big ass sequencers have layers apon layers, too much shit to go around. (-- what does this mean ?? --- >Any virtual stido is meant/built for this shit , except reason."

What i meant was, hard to explain so it may not make any sense. Its like everything is there but you have to dig for it. I dont know its hard to explain.
But lets just say with Orion, i want an instrument, boom its there connected ready for use, 2 seconds literally, effect same thing, 2 seconds. But logic isnt all that simple.Thats all i have been trying to say, that here are more convient programs out there for JUST VSTi's.
And i said except reason just because it does not support VST"s, and its no point bring it into this.

But again it all comes down to personal taste.All im doing here is stating an opinion............
 

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ludikris
all I know is you said " I use virtual instruments, cubase and Logic are not designed for that kind of use.."

That sentence there is why I replied...
Im not the best writer here man............i meant that its not excusively meant/focused on VSTinstruments, as other programs are.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ludikris

TRIBE Member
kool.. I can agree with that.. you find vsti's easier or quicker to load in orion..

I would bet that If I taught you, you would change your mind...

there is only one key command to load a vsti in SX.. F11 - choose an instrument. bamn done..

I have one question for you as I haven't used orion in years...

If you have one midi track assigned to a vsti in orion and you wanted to have those same midi notes playing two more different vsti's, how would you do that ???

describe the method by which you would accomplish that as best as you can..

:)
 

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ludikris
remember we're talkin about host programs for vsti's and vstfx.. not standalone virtual studio programs....like reason or orion or project 5..
I am.............Im not talking out hosts here .im talking about VSTinstruments
 

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ludikris
kool.. I can agree with that.. you find vsti's easier or quicker to load in orion..

I would bet that If I taught you, you would change your mind...

there is only one key command to load a vsti in SX.. F11 - choose an instrument. bamn done..

I have one question for you as I haven't used orion in years...

If you have one midi track assigned to a vsti in orion and you wanted to have those same midi notes playing two more different vsti's, how would you do that ???

describe the method by which you would accomplish that as best as you can..

:)
Orion doesnt work like that.You dont assign a midi track to a VSTi .
All you do is go to Insert > Vst instrument >select which one from a list,.
Then it automatically puts a track/channel on your mixer, ready for use. Boom done.

And yes i know about the F11 key, but you still have to assign the midi track or whatever to it and all that jazz.
 

ludikris

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by hysterical
Im not the best writer here man............i meant that its not excusively meant/focused on VSTinstruments, as other programs are.
communication and interpretation was the problem with this thread..
 

hysterical

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ludikris
wanted to have those same midi notes playing two more different vsti's, how would you do that ???

describe the method by which you would accomplish that as best as you can..

:)
Easy....above each instrument is a piano roll button, id click it , ( it opens up) , then copy and paste it to the next instrument.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top