• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

cubase or reason

physix

TRIBE Member
well.....

when you say "beginner", do you mean that you have
absolutely no idea how to do anything? how computer
music producing works on a general level?

i'd used to say that Reason would be best for an
absolute beginner, esp. since M-Audio produces a
really good CD-Rom tutorial PRODUCING MUSIC WITH
REASON. Also, the book REASON 2.5 IGNITE is really
good for taking it to the next level, too.

However, since AskVideo came out with the CD-Rom
tutorial CUBASE SX ED (heh), it is now possible for an
absolute beginner to come out swinging with that
program (Cubase SX/SL, that is).

So, you are now at an advantage.

Both programs are good...

and now, both programs have a comprehensive
tutorial that starts from the beginning and holds
your hand in setting things up and what not.

You can get both tutorials from www.audiomidi.com
and they both come with demo versions of the
programs... so you can test it out before you buy.

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
Seriously, if it your first program I would get FL Studio (if you want recording).

And then eventually move to Cubase or Sonar.

ludikris

TRIBE Member
Lordy, fruity loops would not be the way to go. You'd be hard pressed to find any professionals out there using fruity loops as the heart of their studio.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

physix

TRIBE Member
he said "starting out", Ludikris.

geez.

not everyone needs to be a "professional" right out the bat.

FL is actually really good for learning.

Especially the FL Studio 5

I mean, you'd wind up getting something else later, tho.
but it is good for learning.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ludikris
cubase by far.

you can't record audio live into reason. Recording live is kinda necessary IMO.
Agreed. Although I sometimes use Reason with Abelton Live. Reason needs linear audio recording for sure

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by judge wopner
which is better overall for a beginer
What are your goals and what kind of stuff do you want to make? Unless recording live into the program you are using is specifically important to you right now, I would go with Reason. It isn't very intimidating, yet it provides a good introduction to a wide variety of useful production concepts. Also, there are a lot of people using it so you have many people to ask questions.

Kid Epic

TRIBE Member
when i started 2 years ago i used Reason because i didn't have any outboard gear. looking back, i'm glad that i did because like Josh said it provided a great introduction to basic things within a studio environment (sequencing, fx, patching, cutoff, resonance, lfo, etc!). once i started collecting gear i moved onto Cubase and it was a relatively harmless transition.

but now that there's a whack of wicked VSTi's you can get, it's definitely a difficult decision.

i think you need to consider whether or not you will be using outboard gear as well as recording too.

i hope this helps,

good luck!:)

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
I'll list out the basic pros and cons

Software Studios (limited recording if any, not meant to be the heart of a full blown studio)

> Reason:
+ Massive user base
+ Incredible amounts of tutorials available
+ Will show you how real gear is set up
+ Great sound quality, effects, & instruments
+ Very reliable
- NO VST ie. not upgradeable unless you buy Cubase/Sonar
- No recording
- Doesnt use screen space efficiently

> FL Studio
+ Amazingly easy to learn
+ Recording capability
+ Has VST i.e. potentially FAR more powerful than Reason
+ Huge user base
+ Less expensive
- Doesnt come with a good set of instruments
- Weak sampler

> Project 5
+ All the benefits of FL Studio with Reason like instruments
+ Has VST
- No recording
- Very new (i.e. no tutorials)

Other than these three, if you need to record live music beyond just tracking midi then get Sonar or Cubase. They do the same thing and are both more powerful than any of these programs (also more expensive).

ludikris

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by physix
he said "starting out", Ludikris.

geez.

not everyone needs to be a "professional" right out the bat.

FL is actually really good for learning.

Especially the FL Studio 5

I mean, you'd wind up getting something else later, tho.
but it is good for learning.
So If one were to learn fruity loops, what good would it be ?? The transition from fruity loops to something like cubase or logic would be as good as starting over from scratch. Atleast if you started with reason, the concepts are similar. So, starting off with fruity loops would not be the way to go.

Fruity loops is better of as a vst instrument inside cubase.

olde

TRIBE Member
I worked for a year making tracks with just Sound Forge, copying/pasting and mixing individual drum hits over and over and over and over and over and over again, and then recording my bass and guitar and samples and then pasting and mixing them over and over again.

Then I discovered FL, which I thought was the greatest thing I had ever seen at the time, I could sequence drum patterns and samples as well as still use things I had recorded.

Now I have Reason and a Midi keyboard, which I can't keep my hands off of. I get completely lost in creating stuff for days on end. Just like I did with sound forge and just like I did with FL.

So... you could say I wasted my time with SF and FL and that I'm wasting it now with Reason. The results I produced/produce are limited.

Or you could say I learned shitloads of stuff, created a gazillion tricks to get around things I was limited to, and know a hell of a lot more about sound production than I did when I started.

I understand the rationale that if you want to do something, do it right. And that usually means getting the best program/equipment.

But theres also something to be said for the creativity that emerges and the learning process undergone when you ARE limited by your equipment. And you upgrade only when you feel like you have exhausted the possibilities of what you were using before.

I've been spinning on cheap Gemini decks for like 5 years. Only now am I starting to consider getting something better.

Whoever said its not the car it's the driver was on to something.

jordan

olde

TRIBE Member
My suggestion would be get FL studio and maybe a copy of Sound Forge if you can find it cheap.

Making tracks in SF is fun but, it can be mind numbingly boring and is damn near impossible.

But if you got FL studio and a copy of Sound Forge you could record in sound forge and export a wave and sample it in FL studio.

If you have fun, then get something else.

I read an interview with Bear Who? and he said that up until recently he did everything with an Akai sampler, Sound Forge and Fruity Loops.

jordan

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ludikris
So If one were to learn fruity loops, what good would it be ?? The transition from fruity loops to something like cubase or logic would be as good as starting over from scratch. Atleast if you started with reason, the concepts are similar. So, starting off with fruity loops would not be the way to go.

Fruity loops is better of as a vst instrument inside cubase.

No cuz depending on the music you write/produce you may need to learn how to program first. To this Day I will say fruity loops can do some stuff that is hard to do in SX, Logic, Nuendo, or Protools. If you workwith lots of breaks eg. jungle or something similar the other programs are easier. With out fundementals its hard to work with any advanced program. Besides I know lots of ppl who work in SX and similar stuff who write Shiat music just because they have not mastered their actual fundementals and create music like a spread sheet.

Once you have the basics then the advanced programs are hard to top though.

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
Absolutely^^^

Dont forget that the main point of fruity loops is that it gets you writing immediately.

Starting on Cubase would make it so easy to get lost in the details.

ludikris

TRIBE Member
Hey dont get me wrong, I started producing tracks with Acid pro 1.0 and it's completely different from Cubase. I guess I take what I know for granted and just really believe that my way is the easiest and most versatile way.
I used to be intimidated by all the gear, and midi connections and what not especially after giving cubase vst a go. When SX came around, it all just fell together with ease. I'm the kind of guy that will look at what setup does the most and is the most productive.
Cubase is because it has the ability to use fruity loops inside of it, rewire reason or project 5 and most notably audition loops of any tempo on the fly via ableton live.

But if your makin tunes, that's really all that matters.. I'll opinionize but i wont discriminate on how you make your beats.

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
if hes getting both than getting Project5 + Sonar would be a better investment IMO.

Pretty much every expert I've spoken to has said that Sonar 3 is every bit as good as Cubase, and it would cost alot less to go that route.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
it's not the tool in itself, but the product that is built with the tool in the end.

I have and have used probably every major sequencer known to man over the years...and sometimes you find one that you "groove" with...for whatever reason (no pun intended).

When this synergy happens, it's a beautiful thing. You just know the interface, know how to make it do things you want to, etc. etc.

For me, it actually happened with Reason. Not Logic. Not Cubase. Not Sonar. And now, I'm finding a huge love for Digital Performer.

For my money, I'm happier with an intuitive program that lets me do what I want without a hassle versus a more powerful/deeper program that I have to fiddle with.

In actuality, I use Reason more like a scratch pad for writing tunes and then work within DP - about a 90/10 split in time.

As listed above, the issue then becomes - can you do what you want to do with the tool?

for Reason...

Recording audio / audio manipulation - No
VSTi - No
MIDI control of external unit - No

If you need to do any of the above, Reason may not be for you...but there are other options for using other tools with Reason that can make up for these deficits if you're creative

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I don't really beleive in Reason as a tool for one inexplicable fact: it sounds like Reason. Even when you ReWire Reason through Cubase it sounds better. 2.5 sounds much better than 2.0 but it still sounds better ReWired.

I love Reason though its a great tool as DeepSix said - 'a scratch pad'

odbx

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
I don't really believe in Reason as a tool for one inexplicable fact: it sounds like Reason.
it's not exactly inexplicable.. the reason reason sounds like reason is because it is reason.

all nitpicking aside however, anyone who thinks reason always creates a "reason-esque" sound, hasn't spent a great deal of time with it, and/or uses only the provided patches and samps. put some time into it, don't use the provided patches, and away you go.

not like my arguing the matter is likely to change anyone's opinion..