1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Cub Scouts Give Up Entirely, Offer Video Game Badge

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Apr 28, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

WoW

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

From scouting.org:

Requirements

Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.

Belt Loop

Complete these three requirements:

1. Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.

2. With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.

3. Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.

Academics Pin

Earn the Video Games belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:

1. With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.

2. Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.

3. Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.

4. Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game.

5. List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.

6. Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.

7. Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.

8. Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer's warranty.

9. With an adult's supervision, install a gaming system.

Oh scouts, you're in a lose-lose here, but for the inevitable day when playing video games requires real-life survival skills, you'll be right back on top.

was bound to happen, but wow.

[jai]

2. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

shame

3. derek

derek TRIBE Member

lol...and to think it came out before the pedo-dodging badge.

i wonder what baden powell would think, were he still alive.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Are you kidding me! WTF! SHAME SHAME SHAME

5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Yeah pretty weak but you gotta get them where they live, no?

For the "Computers" merit badge, check out these requirements:

Computers Requirements

"Discuss with your counselor the tips for online safety.
    Explain how the invention of the computer has affected society, science, and technology. In your explanation, give a short history of the computer.
    Do the following:
    a. Explain four different uses of computers.
    b. Describe three ways you and your family could use a personal computer other than for games and recreation.
    Explain to your counselor the following:
    a. The major parts of a computer system
    b. How the types of files used to store text, sound, pictures, and video are stored in a computer's memory
    Do the following:
    a. Explain what a program is and how it is developed.
    b. Give three examples of programming languages, and describe their uses.
    c. Name four software packages you or your family could use, and explain how you would use them.
    d. Discuss ways you can help protect a computer from viruses and how to keep secure information that has been saved on a computer.
    e. Describe how computers are linked to form the Internet and the World Wide Web.
    Do THREE of the following:
    a. Use a database manager to create a troop roster that includes the name, rank, patrol, and telephone number of each Scout. Show your counselor that you can sort the register by each of the following categories: rank, patrol, and alphabetically by name.
    b. Use a spreadsheet program to develop a food budget for a patrol weekend campout.
    c. Use a word processor to write a letter to the parents of your troop's Scouts inviting them to a court of honor. Use the program's mail merge feature to make a personalized copy of the letter for each family.
    d. Use a computer graphics program to design and draw a campsite plan for your troop, OR design a flyer for an upcoming troop event.
    e. Using a software package of your choice, develop a short presentation about a topic that has been approved by your counselor. For your presentation create at least 10 slides.
    f. Using an Internet search engine, find ideas about how to conduct a troop court of honor or campfire program. Print out a copy of the ideas from at least three different Web sites. Share what you found with your counselor, and explain how you used the search engine to find this information.
    g. Using a digital camera, take a picture of a troop activity. Transfer the picture file to a computer and use photographic software to make it small enough to send easily as an e-mail attachment. Then, using a computer connected to the Internet (with your parent's permission), send an e-mail to someone you know. In your message, include the photograph as an attachment. Verify that the person received your e-mail and was able to view the attachment.
    h. Describe two computer chip-based devices, and explain how they are "smarter" because of the chip and its program.
    Do ONE of the following:
    a. Visit a business or an industrial plant that uses computers. Observe what tasks the computers accomplish, and be prepared to discuss what you have learned.
    b. Using a software package of your choice for computer aided design (CAD), create an engineering-style drawing of a simple object. Include the top, bottom, and at least one side view and the dimensions.
    c. Use a general purpose programming language to write a simple program application of your choice, subject to approval by your counselor.
    d. Design a Web page for your troop, patrol, school, or place of worship. You need not post the page to a Web site. However, if you decide to do so, you will first need to get your parent's permission and your counselor's approval, as well as permission from the host site.
    For each of the following categories, discuss several related terms: input and output devices, storage media, memory, processors and coprocessors, modems or network cards, networks, World Wide Web and Internet, electronic mail, Wi-Fi.

Explain the following to your counselor:
    a. Why it is not permissible to accept a free copy of a copyrighted computer game or program from a friend
    b. The restrictions and limitations of downloading music from the Internet
    c. Why copyright laws exist

Pick two career opportunities in the computer field that interest you. Find out what education, training, and experience those positions require. Report what you learn to your counselor."

6. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Oh my dear goodness. Well whatever, it's the United States. This would not happen in Canada. We are not idiots to that degree.

7. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

lol RIAA infiltrates the cub scouts

8. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

They have Cub Scouts in Canada. I imagine the badges are the same.

9. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

I don't see what the problem is? They are just acknowledging that kids these days play video games to an extreme degree, so they're taking a pro-active approach in teaching kids responsible gaming in paying attention to game ratings, and getting parents involved so that parents can be more aware of what's being fed into the minds of their children through consoles and televisions.

10. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

oh we're still very much idiots. sometimes in different ways, sometimes in the same ways. Every time i get into a car in this city, I am reminded.

11. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

No, The Canadian Scouts are a separate entity. Dude we live in the arctic off the land! I don't think they have a video game about how to club a seal to death and carve it up for dinner. The Americans need that video game shit in case their car breaks down in the wrong neighbourhood.

Btw, I'm not ashamed to say I was a scout. It means the hot chicks are coming with me when the plane crashes.

12. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Word up...

13. derek

derek TRIBE Member

my love for the outdoors started and grew with cubs and scouts. the skills i learned helped later when i started going on extended trips in the wilderness. i just don't rember the badge reflecting my skill level with pong, or snake & ladders if you want to go real ol'school

i suppose they're just keeping with the times.

i actually have made use of a sheepshank knot (or more accurately un-knot).

14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Merit Badges have always had a more comprehensive coverage - Scouts are not just about camping but being an upstanding member of the community. You know, the old Boy Scout helping a granny across the street thing...

Some of the original merit badges that don't involve camping or outdoorsmanship:

Architecture
    Art
    Automobile Safety
    Aviation
    Business
    Chemistry
    Cooking
    Electricity
    Plumbing
    Scholarship
    Sculpture

etc... looking around some of the discontinued ones would be awesome if still done today:

Taxidermy
    Inventing
    Leatherworking
    Masonry
    Shooting
    Machinery
    Blacksmithing
    Beekeeping

Seriously how cool would it be to learn how to clang out your own sword of elven craftsmanship?

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

lol ^ especially @ inventing!

"I know a great taxidermist. Well...he's not great but he's pretty good."

16. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I see no problem with the badge, once perusing the requirements.

I was forcibly sent to Cubs until the second I was old enough to ditch it. Absolute nerd patrol shit going on there.

17. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

I agree.

I think I'm going to work on getting my beekeeping badge on the farm, and I found an anvil so maybe I can work on my blacksmithing badge too.

Did you guys do pinewood derby racers too?

18. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

the worst part is they used a Nyko copy ps2 controller for the badge. ugh.

19. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

3rd place in the regionals! The marble base from the trophy became a base for a bong somewhere near the end of college.

20. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i must have a mental block then, i don't recall a merit badge for most the subjects you're listing, outside the discontinued ones. i had my leatherworking badge.

i remember derby races, jamborees (raiding the girl scouts camp, or other scouts camps), and all the leaders in cubs were named after characters from 'the jungle book'.

i only last two years in scouts though.