• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Crossfit

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Sweet! so did my sister!?!?! I'm not sure if she registered individually or as a team.
I don't know if you can sign up as a team. You sign up as an individual but up as part of an affiliated box or as an independent.

I could be wrong since I didnt sign up. Still on the fence.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Oh - I think I meant sign up with your club? I will txt my sister tonight and ask her.

Yeah you should register. You will be better than someone and others will be better than you! You will have a new goal to work towards!

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
The first workout is out tonight at 8pm EST.

I think they are over 100k participants this year.

Your box signs up a team. You sign up as an individual, but can say you are affiliated with a box. The box can have an unlimited number of people on the team. The caveat is that in order to be affiliated with a box, you have to workout 50% of the time at that box. The top 3 individual scores from individuals affiliated with that box count towards the team total in each workout.

Also, you signed up for the Crossfit Open, not the Games. ;)

The Games are in California in July. You have to win to get in!

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Awesome - keep us updated! What's your name on the site?

Also, I would recommend hitting up the Canada East Regionals to watch in May. I went last year and it was quite the experience to see the high level athletes. Two of the top girls at the Games qualified there.

Last edited:

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
17 minutes amrap:

40 burpees
30 snatches @ 75 lbs
30 burpees
30 snatches @ 135
20 burpees
30 snatches @ 165
10 burpees
amrap snatches @ 205lbs

good luck :p

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I feel ill reading that.

Here is the women's workout if anyone is interested:

WOMEN - includes Masters Women up to 54 years old
Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 17 minutes of:
40 Burpees
45 pound Snatch, 30 reps
30 Burpees
75 pound Snatch, 30 reps
20 Burpees
100 pound Snatch, 30 reps
10 burpees
120 pound Snatch, as many reps as possible

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
So I just finished it... This was just gym style i'm officially doing it on Sat.

So i'm disappointed really, I can't do 135 Snatches. My PR is around 115-125. Basically i'm fucked right out of the gate.

Today I did 141 reps, only after 3 attempts at the 135 I dropped to 95 finished that round and 11 more burpees in that 17min.

So my plan I guess is to max effort the first burpees and snatches then just take the rest easy.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have photographed Crossfit classes for a project I was working on and watching all those average people try to lift heavy weights, quickly, rolling tractor tires around, and doing crazy back extensions, it looked to me like injuries waiting to happen.

Sure enough, I have a close friend who is really active and in top shape (beach volleyball, rock climbing, cycling, etc) and her back was injured badly by Crossfit training last year.

I am not sure how safe Crossfit it is, especially when these people are trying to squeeze the most potentially dangerous exercises into the shortest period of time, often at the expense of form, and usually with very little guidance or supervision.

Trying to lift the most weight for bragging rights or because of peer pressure at Crossfit is a recipe for health disaster IMO.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I attempted to start a thread without having all any crossfit bashing, since there's enough in the gym etiquette from mostly uninformed people claiming no one achieves from doing crossfit LOL btw.

Without trying to get into a huge debate, it's most likely poor crossfit instructors.

derek

TRIBE Member
i wouldn't say no one acheives anything, nor do i recall any comments bashing it, most were just people being legitimately critical off it, and are backed up by some very knowelegable experts in the fitness realm, so i really wouldn't say they're uninformed either.

the problem, that needs repeating, is with the explosion of its popularity there are an increasing number of poor trainers and gyms getting into the fray.

there are good trainers, as you point out, that use some methodology and don't push people to injury. some crossfit gyms and trainers are a recipe for injury though, and crossfit national as a program should start doing something about it, it's not as easy a chaulking it up to poor trainers soley, the program (or lack there of) needs some rethinking.

i say this having done cross fit. i tried it about five years ago are a gym on carlaw that had very knowledgable trainers. i see the group dynamic as being a big motivator for some as they simply wouldn't or don't workout solo. for me i prefer working out alone or with one person, and i was already incorporating plyometrics, weight training, calisthenics, only with better methodology than most crossfit programs i've seen, so i didn't see any benefit for me personally. i will say crossfit for beginners is tricky as they generally don't have the stablizer or joint conditioning to perform many of routines without risk of injury, which is why it would be important to be part of a program that recognizes that.

periodization (rarely looked out in crossfit routines from what i've seen) is key and varying your routine is important (done in crossfit but it's not necessary to change every day though).

it's not like it's the first or last workout fad that's built on shaky foundation. overtime, i think it will become more structured and the bad elements will get weeded out.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your opinion on the matter.

You're welcome! What does it take to open one of these Crossfit gyms? A franchise fee, obviously, but is there also some kind of intensive training program for the operators?

I wonder what the minimum requirements are for Crossfit operators and Crossfit trainers?

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
There are no requirements.

The only requirement is that you have a valid credit card.

edit: I've posted this before in the gym ettiquette thread.

Last edited:

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I do crossfit, but (IMO) it really isn't for everybody and if you're just some average Joe off the street looking to do crossfit, you're going to seriously injure yourself.

This has found it's way through the internet a bunch of times:

All gyms (crossfit or not) should really be researched to see if the trainers are qualified to be training people.

There's good and bad to it. To be fair, I've also seen my fair share of shit trainers at gyms, too.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Of course you need to take certification classes to open a gym. Yes there are shitty gyms just like there are regular gyms full of shitty people that will not listen to anyone about form or whatever.

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
That video is the greatest ever. Must be embarrassing for the owners of that gym.

I will echo Derek and like I mentioned in the gym etiquette thread, planning is everything. You can't plan one work out for everyone, that's ridiculous. If you want to hit goals, individual plans are what will get you there.

How many times are these people going to crossfit per week? If you're doing these lifts right and doing them with enough intensity, it can only be a one maybe twice a week thing.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I can't believe it took me this long to realize it's futile to talk exercise in an online format like this. Right up with politics and religion everyone's an expert and everyone's got an opinion.
I'm not claiming to be an expert but I know enough to stop contributing when people start bashing on ridiculous things. i.e volume pullups with a kip means your doing it wrong.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I can't believe it took me this long to realize it's futile to talk exercise in an online format like this. Right up with politics and religion everyone's an expert and everyone's got an opinion.
I'm not claiming to be an expert but I know enough to stop contributing when people start bashing on ridiculous things. i.e volume pullups with a kip means your doing it wrong.
No offense, but you haven't really started contributing.

It's obvious you do crossfit but all you do is attempt to defend it until you're blue in the face, but without really saying anything besides, "it all boils down to the gym/box you go to" (which is sort of, but not completely, a cop-out).

Perhaps you were trying to be nice/PC about things, but you've brought no material about anything any of us have said about corssfit re: the (what you percieve) as negative comments -even the constructive parts where someone deems that crossfit falls short, you take a short-minded "no, you're wrong" approach to it.

We've stated the good and bad about crossfit and you seem to get super defensive about anything negative about crossfit. Regardless of which box you go to, I've yet to see someone perform a proper clean and jerk at a crossfit class or youtube.

If everybody listened to you, everybody would be going to crossfit and injuring themselves. What's wrong with pointing out the negatives? Not bashing, but creating awareness of the spectrum that exists to hopefully educate people?

Maybe start posting material that adds or even argues to the conversation besides your 10-word quips denouncing anything negative towards crossfit. I enjoy your posts on the forum, but re: the corssfit stuff, you seem to get really defensive over the comments that aren't positive about it, but without providing any real, educational feedback as to why vs your own, IMO, short-minded opinions/.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Who cares about tribers who are for the most part aren't even qualified to be giving out fitness advice, but have found what works best for them - unfortunately,there will always be negative feedback about crossfit. It doesn't help when there are idiots out there, training people incorrectly.

Yeah it does produce excellent results, I've seen it first hand with my sister who is now a powerhouse.

It's so awesome when people compete together, there is tremendous support, even a chance to compete and assess your new goal!! I remember I was so excited when I thought my sister was in the top final 10, she was placed 12th.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories