• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Crockpot - slowcooker recommendations?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think it s about time I buy a crockpot or slowcooker. Which one should I buy? I need something that will last a while that isn't too expensive. Any recommendations?

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
I think it s about time I buy a crockpot or slowcooker. Which one should I buy? I need something that will last a while that isn't too expensive. Any recommendations?
Look for a second hand one from the 80's or 70's (Rival) at Value Village... I have had newer ones and the ceramic inserts have cracked and this was not due to neglect either...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I will do that. I have no luck with modern appliances - they all seem to be made like crap and break rather quickly - even if I buy known or more expensive brands.

MartyMcFly

TRIBE Promoter
Winners or homesense , is another option. I was at one the other day and one caught my eye. I love slow cooking. Ribs ftw!!! Good luck.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I would do some research on what temperature they reach. The new slow cooker we got runs way too hot. On the low setting it's cooking 8 hour recipes in 5 hours.

In hind sight we'd shell out for a $100 programmable one.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Persephone

TRIBE Member
well, if you do go the 'new' route, I have a lot of good things to say about my Hamilton Beach slow cooker. It comes with 3 different sized removable ceramic bowls. I've used my slow cooker to make appetizer dips in the small bowl, the medium bowl to make pasta sauce, chili, roasts, and the large bowl to make chicken broth.

It all depends on how you see yourself using it.

I've never had a chip or a crack in my ceramic bowls. I suggest going for something with a removable ceramic bowl, it makes cleaning so much easier.

A slow cooker, however you cut it, is a great investment. I use mine pretty frequently, at least a few times each month.

edit: also useful for serving cheese fondue. YUM!

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Look for a second hand one from the 80's or 70's (Rival) at Value Village... I have had newer ones and the ceramic inserts have cracked and this was not due to neglect either...
What's the diff with the old ones? Are they not ceramic? Same thing happened to me. 2nd time I used it. Tiny hairline crack so totally useable, but leaks the sauce into the aluminum case after each use which is so annoying. Hardly manhandled it. Just simple washing.

I got the biggest they sell in the Crockpot brand which I like as sometimes when you put big pieces of meat in there you need the extra space until it cooks down. Came with a small mini thing that is great for sauce. It's programmable but just high and the time increment.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Guys what do you make of the slow cooker liners? How is this even legal? You're meant basically cook your shit in plastic?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
You can have mine. I hate the smell of simmering meat for a full 10 hours and then another 10 hours after that when you turn it off. Ugh. It's terrible.

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
Boy Wonder has this one

Crock-Pot Digital Travel Slow Cooker | Canadian Tire and he absolutely loves it. I have a much older non-digital crock pot which works just dandy, but will upgrade to the same model this year (it will be nice to come home to dinner ready after a crappy day at work). I will happily pass on my current one when it's replaced to anyone that wants to try slow-cooking before dropping any cash. :)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
You can have mine. I hate the smell of simmering meat for a full 10 hours and then another 10 hours after that when you turn it off. Ugh. It's terrible.
Seriously? If you are giving it away, PM me and I will come up the street and pick it up!