• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Criminal Charges

Karim

TRIBE Member
So I got in a nasty spat, and got punched in the face and had my iPod destroyed. I didn't fight back but took collateral for my iPod and stormed out of said persons residence.

I turned around, returned the collateral that I took and told them I'd take them to small claims for the iPod. When I tried to leave they said "the cops are coming, too late"

I stuck around and waited for the police and gave them my statement. The other party got arrested instead and I got off scott free.

Now I have no interest in letting these 2 charges pan out on said person. I am looking to get them dropped. The charges are Assault and Mischief under $5000. Anybody ever look to getting charges dropped before? What can be done? I can't afford to speak to a lawyer about this and neither can said person.

I called the police station and they said only the crown attorney can drop the charges, and all I can do is give a recommendation. I can't let these charges go through because I don't want this persons life to be ruined with a criminal record. I didn't call the police and it's rather unfortunate that things unfolded this way.

Help?!
 

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
The Crown will mos def drop the charges against your "friend" on your recomendation, but what you should do, is tell the crown you wish to strike a deal with the defendant, the cost of your iPod for the charges being dropped. They'll contact them and let them decide if the deal is acceptable.......which is more then i'd do for said person.....but you seem to be a bit better at forgiving then i would in this situation.
 

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Should've picked up an iriver instead. The line-in and record feature would've prevented the spat...and made you coffee too.

/ipod hater.
 

Karim

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mrs. Pink
The Crown will mos def drop the charges against your "friend" on your recomendation, but what you should do, is tell the crown you wish to strike a deal with the defendant, the cost of your iPod for the charges being dropped. They'll contact them and let them decide if the deal is acceptable.......which is more then i'd do for said person.....but you seem to be a bit better at forgiving then i would in this situation.
She already agreed to give me a new iPod. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I'm also hearing from people who have had the police lay charges on somebody, that the person who was assaulted before couldn't get the charges dropped even though they tried.

I just need to know if it's definately possible to get the charges dropped. And what I have to do to make it happen.
 
Last edited:

BayStreetBoi

TRIBE Member
In the end, it's really the crown attorney's judgement call.

Most likely, they won't proceed with the charges if you don't want them to since you'll turn out to be a relatively uncooperative witness and they won't have a ton of evidence to stand on.

If however, the crown attorney thinks there is enough evidence in place with or without your assistance (based on police reports, etc.), he/she may choose to proceed.
 

Karim

TRIBE Member
the law's not gender biased. Note. I didn't call the police either. I didn't even want them involved and begged them to rip up the report after I found out she was getting taken in.

wtf :confused: The cops aren't a fucking toy. They shoulda never gotten involved.
 

Karim

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BayStreetBoi

If however, the crown attorney thinks there is enough evidence in place with or without your assistance (based on police reports, etc.), he/she may choose to proceed.
That's the scary thing. The account I gave them of the situation was extremely detailed. And the other party agreed that my account was correct. That's solid evidence right there, I'm worried that even if I do say I want the charges dropped, she's gonna get screwed either way.

Lets hope they have sympathy for her being a student and all.
 

Balzz

TRIBE Member
If I got beaten up by a chick, I wouldn't want anyone to know that it was such a beating that she was charged for assault.
 

Karim

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
If I got beaten up by a chick, I wouldn't want anyone to know that it was such a beating that she was charged for assault.
One punch thrown and landed even counts as assault in this day and age.

I'd think twice before picking a fight with anyone, anywhere, no matter what they've done these days.
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Karim
One punch thrown and landed even counts as assault in this day and age.
Yep.

I find it telling that even after this, SHE called the cops thinking it would make her look like the victim. So infuriating, and if I were you, I'd teach the abusive idiot a lesson.
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
What, no Karim got beat up by a girl jokes?! pfft, tribe - you dissapoint me.

Kidding, either way - that sucks, hope the charges can get dropped.
 

Karim

TRIBE Member
If a girl is beating the shit out of you, you're the bigger man not to hit her back and take it.

But then again, it was only a few punches to the face. I didn't get beat up and have no scars to show for it. I wanted to give the police a super detailed report so I left that part in, regret ever mentioning it now. 2 charges is rough.
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Idunno, I really think charges should be laid. What do you think would've happened had you not stuck around waiting for the cops she called? What kinda story do you think she would have fed them, only for you to have to drag yourself through court and face legal fees to defend yourself against? It could've been so much worse, and the only reason it isn't is because of your good judgment with no credit to her.
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Karim
If a girl is beating the shit out of you, you're the bigger man not to hit her back and take it.

But then again, it was only a few punches to the face. I didn't get beat up and have no scars to show for it. I wanted to give the police a super detailed report so I left that part in, regret ever mentioning it now. 2 charges is rough.
Like I said kidding, does speak highly of your character for not hitting her back, as someone would need to have been a real ass to do that.
 

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Karim

I just need to know if it's definately possible to get the charges dropped. And what I have to do to make it happen.

nope. once the cops lay assault charges, it's out of the hands of those involved. it's kinda retarded, cause people call the cops for protection (or whatever), and they end up fucking themselves and their friends even larger.

lesson learned? use your words, not your fists. duh.
 

Karim

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Idunno, I really think charges should be laid. What do you think would've happened had you not stuck around waiting for the cops she called? What kinda story do you think she would have fed them, only for you to have to drag yourself through court and face legal fees to defend yourself against? It could've been so much worse, and the only reason it isn't is because of your good judgment with no credit to her.
If I had not come back with her property, there would have been a warrant for my arrest. That was the issue with the cops. I dodged a bullet coming back. Had I not come back, I woulda deserved getting arrested for trying to walk out with something of hers after she damaged something of mine.
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Exactly. You dodged a bullet fired at you without as much throught. You can understand then that you would have deserved the consequences of your actions, so what’s with trying to protect the woman from the consequences of hers? Do you think you would have been this lucky? I say leave it to the cops and the crown to figure out. If you get called in, repeat what you said on your report and that's it. It will be a good life lesson for her, and next time she'll think twice before trying to use the cops to get back at you, and swing victim sympathy towards her side.
 

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
I couldn't agree more OTIS.

Nothing worse than getting "the law" used maliciously against you to satisfy someone's misguided desire for payback.

Karim, let the courts deal with it. She will ultimately be fine as the Crown likely has bigger things on his/her plate. But until that time comes, the other party will have learned a valuable lesson in how to handle personal battles.
 

Karim

TRIBE Member
I'm fully confident that had I been charged, she would go through the same hurdles to get the charges dropped. She knows that my future goals do not permit me to have a criminal record, and she's really not that malicious.

I truly believe she was simply too naive to understand the consequences of getting the police involved. That being said, I strongly feel she shouldn't be punished this badly for not knowing any better.

All I want is this cleared, and to cut her out of my life for good.

She's so scared right now, I think it's safe to say she learned a lesson.

I thought I mentioned it but I don't think I have. Her roomate apparently called the cops when she saw me walk out with her friends property. I dunno if she gave the green light for the police to come, or maybe she's trying to save her image, maybe she tried to stop them from coming (so she claims). It's just a rather unfortunate incident.
 
Last edited:

zoo

TRIBE Member
hey karim, our school has free consultations with lawyers, my friends have used them before and i suggest you make an appointment for next week, they only work on certain days so plan your schedule around it
 

Karim

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
hey karim, our school has free consultations with lawyers, my friends have used them before and i suggest you make an appointment for next week, they only work on certain days so plan your schedule around it
fucking right. GO MAC GO!
 
Top