1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Crime in the United States

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by Ditto Much, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Crime in the United States fell last year to the lowest level since records started being compiled 30 years ago, the US Justice Department has said.

About 23 million violent and property crimes were reported in 2002, compared with some 44 million in 1973, according to the annual survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

The decline was seen in every category of crime measured by the department.

Attorney General John Ashcroft attributed the drop to the work of police and prosecutors.

But some crime experts say tougher prison sentences and the building of additional prisons are more likely explanations.

And others believe a mature and less violent illegal drug trade and a drop in gang membership have been contributory factors.

The past decade also a saw a rise in the reporting of non-fatal crime to the police, according to the survey which is based on interviews with a representative sample of about 76,000 US residents.

Expert surprise

"Everyone thought the numbers would bottom out and then go back up, but it hasn't happened," Professor James Lynch from the American University Center for Justice, Law and Society said.

Even in recent years, crime levels have been dropping.

Violent crimes fell from 10.5 million incidents in 1993 to 5.3 million in 2002.

Crime against property over the same period was also relatively lower, falling from 319 crimes per 1,000 households to 159.

Rape or sexual assault was down 56%, while robbery was down 63%, and aggravated assault down 64%.

The decline in violent crime was experienced by all demographic groups, the survey said.

Seven per cent of all violent crime victims faced an offender with a firearm last year.

Last year, car theft was the crime most likely to be reported, while property theft was the least likely.

However there has been a slight rise in the number of murders, which are measured separately by the FBI.

In 2002, 16,110 people were murdered - a 0.8 percentage point rise on 2001, according to preliminary statistics based on police reports from across the country.

++++++++++++++++

I just bought my copy of Bowling For Columbine, and was reflecting to myself how dangerous the fear of crime has gotten. At how people have the perception of being victims regardless of the context in which they view themselves. At one time or another we have all been verbally assaulted, we have all been ripped off. I have, but I have never viewed myself as a victim.

I'm curious how many people avoid sitting on there front step because of a fear of crime. A fear of crime that is becoming less and less true!

2. judge wopner

judge wopner TRIBE Member

just rented bowling for c. this weekend,
    it was great.

the stat that shocked me the mostwas the one about violent crimes decreasing by a certian percentage while the reporting of and air time given to violent crimes by the media increasing by something ridiculous like %200 percent.

3. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

4. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

So why is crime down?

Its not just down in the USA its down in Canada as well. So its not like the record number of people in jail in the USA is likely to be a factor (we have been pretty consistant over the last 2 decades). We probably have more people in poverty that the fifties (which had a MUCH higher crime rate). Its not like there has been a major change in religions (some movement away from practicing but not much). And I just don't see the proof that the economics are all that much better now.

Why would crime be on the decrease?

5. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

6. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

I'm not sure what you meant, dude.

Thanks.
    Schoolmaster

7. man_slut

man_slut TRIBE Member

Crime rates can be tricky. One possibility is that cops aren't cracking down on certain crimes as much and therefore statistically speaking it seams that certain crimes have been reduced. When it became politically incorrect to beat your wife there was a sudden increase in spousal abuse rates (It is incorrect to beat your significant other). People were reporting these types of crimes more. How did this study determine crime rates?

8. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Haven't a clue. I also see that something as simple as decriminalizing pot will create a reduction in the "crime rate". However the reporting of crime does not appear to have chnaged much. Even the rate for rape (which strictly speaking has only become more reported and more inclusive in definition) has gone down.

I'm quick to agree with most in regards to stats can be used in both directions. But the number of cases of shoplifting has fallen, Break and Enter has fallen, Car theft is falling, violent assault is falling. Hell I read a paper that explained that even truency as high schools is on the decrease.

We have seen an increase in drug use over the last decade (yeah we are the bad seeds who'd have guessed) but a decrease in the crime normally associated with it.

Why would crime be dropping?

9. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

I meant that as far as posts and threads go it seems best suited for you. It keeps you away from threads when you don't feel like talking seriously and sometimes when your just joking around you come off in a very negative light. This negativity normally expands and it makes conversation difficult. I for one wouldn't mind not speaking with you online for a couple of days.

If you were to stick to the hardcore thread I have only a single thread to ignore. That and for the most part it doesn't bug me, but you've been a bit of a penis for the last week. You appear to be already doing the same in this thread, personally I find it annoying. Now I can either ignore you, or you can ignore me, or we can ignore each others threads. Personally I get the feeling that your more than happy not reading my opinions so I'll be courteous and stay away from your threads, how about you do the same for me.

Nothing formal just an agreement to stay away for a while.