• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Credit Card Fraud

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Yup, so there's this message on my phone tonight from PC Financial Master Card, calling to 'verify some recent transactions.' When I got my Christmas bonus I put a bunch of money on the card, then threw it in my underwear drawer (socks always disappear in htere, maybe I was hoping the card would too.) You know, you put the card away so you won't be tempted to use it all the time.

So I call back and sure enough it was the Fraud Department. Someone tried to spend 3,600 with Dell on my card.

So this thread is to say thank you to PC Financial Master Card, thank you for asking me if I made such a transaction, and when I said no (actually I believe I said "WHAT") immediately reversing the charge, cancelling the card, putting a new one in the mail--in short, thank god that this is one problem that came to my attention with the solution attached to it.

I'm tired of the other kind of problem.

[SIZE=0.5]PS I'm dying my hair right now.[/SIZE]

Credit card fraud, theft and general misbehaviour has been a theme as of late.

People who do this sort of thing deserve every thing coming to them.

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
Some guy tried to drop about $4,000.00 on a laptop with someone else's card at work on the weekend. Scary stuff indeed!

On the bright side this thread once again goes to show that PCFinancial is great!

matt

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
Credit card fraud, theft and general misbehaviour has been a theme as of late.

People who do this sort of thing deserve every thing coming to them.
it always has been over here.

used to be able to get boxes of fake ones (as long as from your finger to your elbow) with a guarentee of at least $3000 on them. people buy them anywhere between $300 to $800 a pop.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by stir-fry
So how did they get your card?
Did someone steal it ?
No, it was in my underwear drawer. Someone tried to buy a computer over the phone using my number.

Who knows where s/he got the number--could be anywhere, really. I've worked at enough places that accepted credit card payment via phone to know that people tend to scribble these numbers down on scrap pieces of paper and stuff. Actually, i's this type of thing that is the reason my parents tell me never to buy anything over the internet. I still do it.

What scares me was what if this person had been smart--use it to make lots of little purchases here and there, like I do--ahem, that is USED TO, not do--and PC people wou;dn't have noticed anything out of the ordinary to call me about.

Then I would have just gotten my bill and HAD A FREAKING ANYEURISM.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Fuck.. i figured someone had stolen it from your house.. (not that i'd assume you hang with vagrants, but you never know)..

that makes it scarier that you don't know where they got the number from

glad it's all sorted though :)

Poot

TRIBE Member
This is why you have to be so, so careful with ANYthing that has your credit card no. on it - a receipt from the day's shopping, your monthly statement, etc.

NEVER ever just toss a receipt with your number on it in the garbage - ALWAYS shred it, rip it and generally make sure it's tossed in such a manner that a garbage digger could not piece it all back together.

Paranoid, buuut.....

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Lysistrata
Actually, i's this type of thing that is the reason my parents tell me never to buy anything over the internet. I still do it.
shopping online is quite safe actually - as long as you're shopping with a secure site (you'll see the little pad lock in the corner when they're collecting your info). i'd be more worried about the places where you have to give your number over the phone (because that way they probably are writing it down), or places that take a carbon copy of your card....

sorry to hear this happened though. its nice to hear that the bank was so on top of it...very cool.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
i didn't say ALL. i said shopping on a secure site. its a hell of a lot safer than giving someone a carbon copy of your card....

its just unfortunate that the internet also makes it so easy to use someone elses card. thats why theres such a big misconception about internet safety.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Most (if not all) cards do involve some sort of monitoring.

If I use my card a few times in a day or for someting big, I usually get a call from TD verifying the charges,

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Great, my hair didn't turn out very well, I dropped an entire bottle of ginger ale on the floor while trying to open it, there's no food in the house, I can't type 'the' properly and now I'm afraid to ever use my credit card ever again.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bean

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jessica P
This is why you have to be so, so careful with ANYthing that has your credit card no. on it - a receipt from the day's shopping, your monthly statement, etc.

NEVER ever just toss a receipt with your number on it in the garbage - ALWAYS shred it, rip it and generally make sure it's tossed in such a manner that a garbage digger could not piece it all back together.

Paranoid, buuut.....
Glad to read that I'm not the only one who takes this stuff seriously (ok, who is paranoid ;)).

we've got two paper recycling bins at home: regular and stuff to be shredded.

a similar thing happened to my partner, whereby his credit card company gave him a shout one day to ask about some irregular purchases that in fact he hadn't made (and his credit card was secure in his wallet the entire time).

it's somewhat comforting to know that your purchases are being watched. . .

peace,

sabina

bitchass

TRIBE Member
i've also had my credit card used before - scotiabank simply sent me a new one and reversed all the transactions that had been made without the card present.

i bought a nice crosscut paper shredder for $8 at walmart over the holidays - cheaaaaap! i shred almost everything before throwing it out but the old stripcut shredder wasnt good enough

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
I once got a call from RBC once telling me that the Police had busted some fraud ring and they found my credit card info on them.