1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

creative directors?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by bombthreat23, May 26, 2010.

1. bombthreat23

bombthreat23 TRIBE Member

any creative directors on here? what sites do you frequent for ideas? are there any forums you visit to talk shop?

2. AdamAnt

AdamAnt TRIBE Member

ihaveanidea.org has a forum. Not sure if any of the big guys frequent it.

3. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

For what industry?

'Creative director' seems to be a pretty vauge title even if it makes sense in context.

4. bombthreat23

marketing

5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i just download free fonts like a mo-fo. and i get ideas from me.

6. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Marketing? Not advertising? I know more creative directors in advertising.

Are you seeking client-side marketing? What industry?

7. artemis

artemis TRIBE Member

I do the following for ideas:

- Download fonts
    - Look into current market trends (competitors, current campaigns)
    - Fashion (fashion colours are usually about 3 seasons ahead of other mediums)
    - Design mags & their respective websites (Comm. Arts, HOW, print et al)
    - Best of...winners on the web

Hope that helps!
    Ana

8. jared k

jared k TRIBE Member

9. AdamAnt

AdamAnt TRIBE Member

I'm a lowly dropped out copywriter and I mostly visit the pub.

10. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

what are you the creative director of exactly?

I'm a sr. art director. I'll share some links in a bit...

11. ravinjunkie

ravinjunkie TRIBE Member

such as
    abduzeedo

12. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i use to manage the mailrooms in FCP. they had two art curators (phd's)for the whole building which intially i found odd, but when i started to see the art collection in FCP (and the opulence on floors 67 & 68 where the executive team resides), it made sense. i had no idea, until one of them informed me, that BMO has one of the biggest, if not the biggest, native art collection in north america. there were corners on various floors (restricted) where there were just stacks of paintings.

doesn't add much to this conversation, but it's interesting to see that you can find art directors / curators in seemingly odd locations.

13. bombthreat23

any more suggestions to follow?

14. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

I'm not that kind of art director actually, I'm the advertising kind. I basically come up with the ad ideas with a writer partner.

but yah, the best resources are to follow killer agencies and creative directors on twitter, they post all kinds of great stuff.

15. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

Really?

Doesn't sound creative to me. Maybe you should be a following director? :D

As much as I'd like to slag following the campaings of others, from people I've met who work marketing side it seems that clients come in and ask for basically exact copies of campaigns they liked.

I think I'd go nuts and tell clients off all the time, ... which is why I'm not in marketing...

16. bombthreat23

examples?

17. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

I'm not a creative director, nor do I work in advertising but I am in marketing and listen to a number of podcasts and read some blogs that are written by creative directors and might be useful to you.

Edward Boches | Creativity Unbound
    -chief creative at Mullen
    Blog: Social Creativity, Digital Thinking, Advertising Reinvented | Creativity Unbound
    Twitter: @edwardboches

Bob Knorpp | The Beancast
    -Bob is now a consultant and podcast host, used to be in creative.
    -The Beancast is, hands down, my favorite marketing/advertising podcast and his guests often include creatives.
    -Bob is super nice and likes to connect with his audience... he even takes Skype calls on Friday afternoons...
    Blog:The BeanCast | The Best Marketing Podcast Anywhere - includes podcast
    Twitter: @thebeancast

Bill Green | Make the Logo Bigger
    -can't remember Bill's past but I listen to him on podcast called Adverv and read his blog here and there. Lots of great leads on creative from his blog.
    Blog: make the logo bigger

there are a bunch more but I think that if you connect to the above three, you might find a bunch more.

However, I have to point out one blog that totally makes me laugh about the advertising business... George Parker's Adscam/The Horror....

AdScam/The Horror!

18. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

alex bogusky
    luke sulivan
    any award winning agency: mother, ddb, john st, taxi, dro5a, leo burnett.

also check the award show sites.

one show, D&AD, bessies, cannes, ny festival etc.

19. AdamAnt

AdamAnt TRIBE Member

Which agency are you with?

20. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

I actually have no idea what you're talking about.

21. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

in the last few years I've worked at a few. Leo burnett, then john st, then freelance for proximityBBDO, and maclaren. just two weeks ago I went to work at this new start up from korea called innocean. gary westgate from taxi is the CD, and we have hyundai as our first client. going to pitch new work as well, but basically it's the wild west here right now. still getting everything set up.

22. bombthreat23

I guess I am looking for some inspiring way to showcase creative, clever presentation ideas...stuff like that!

23. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

what kind of work is it?

ads?

24. slice

slice TRIBE Member

Sounds awesome dude. The start-up environment is probably my favorite to be in (imho) specially from a creative standpoint. I've been in a few myself.

Are you guys hiring Damon? :D

*sorry for the threadjack.

25. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

maybe. dunno for sure though.

if we're as awesome as we think we are, we should be pretty busy.

what do you do?